Help with PSU & Case

Zayl657

Hello everyone!

I come seeking the wisdom of the forums!

So I am looking for help in choosing the right PSU for my build (see below) and as well, the right case for my needs.

My build is as follows:

CPU: I5-7600k

Cooler: Cryorig H7

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200 16GB kit

Motherboard: MSI Z270 Gaming Pro Carbon (ATX)

Storage: Cruicial SSD, and WD 1tb HDD

GPU: *Planned* Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1

So I just need help choosing the PSU that can handle the build, and still have some juice for later parts, the plan is for a 650W, but not sure which to go for.

As for the case, I am thinking a mid-tower, but there are so many options, I could never begin to choose.

It's not that a full tower would be too big, I just do not think it is needed.

As for what I am looking for is, not too small; I don't care too much about being quiet, but it would be nice; and I do not care at all about having an open/glass side panel. I know that my build would elude to some RGB building strategy, but all parts I have gotten thus far has been based on amazing deals, and price to performance gains.

Thank you for any advice you can give!

evga g2/g3/gs/gq/b2 550w is fine

Corsair rmx/rmi/cxm

Seasonic g/ssr/s12ii

deepcool dqst

3 minutes ago, Zayl657 said:

For the Case I would go with an Archon Black since it is has an orange theme inside, has combined open glass with place for two coolers on the side panel, also could have two coolers on the front side. 

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811553013 ( I kinda like this one and in a few months I'll buy one of them )

As for the PSU since you're running an i7 and planning for a 1070 650 would go perfect with your build.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA0FU3KB2730 and it is also modular which helps you with the wire management. Also not that expensive as other PSUs might be.

|| CPU: Intel i5-8600K || Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212X || Motherboard: Gigabyte Z370 HD3P || GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1050ti OC Windforce 4GB || Memory: 16GB Crucial DDR4 3000mhz || HDD: WD Black 500GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB || SSD: Samsung 980 1TB || PSU: Corsair VS550 || Case: nJoy Ice Cage || Fans: Segotep Halo Ring RGB ||Monitor: 2x Dell 27" P2717H IPS Full HD || Second Monitor/TV: LG 49UJ620V UHD || Mouse: Logitech G502 || Keyboard: Logitech G810 + Royal Kludge RK84 || Speakers: Philips SPA-5300 subw + Arylic 2.1 + DIY Bookshelves w/ Dayton Audio || Headphones: HyperX Cloud Flight S ||

TO BE UPGRADED:

>> Headphones << >> Keyboard << >> HDD << >> Mouse << >> PC Case << >> Memory(another stick) << >> Graphics Card << 

4 minutes ago, R3ep3r said:

For the Case I would go with an Archon Black since it is has an orange theme inside, has combined open glass with place for two coolers on the side panel, also could have two coolers on the front side. 

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811553013 ( I kinda like this one and in a few months I'll buy one of them )

As for the PSU since you're running an i7 and planning for a 1070 650 would go perfect with your build.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA0FU3KB2730 and it is also modular which helps you with the wire management. Also not that expensive as other PSUs might be.

Think you may have misread my post. Thanks for the reply, but the case has a large window, no need for me, and the main complaint from reviews is limited space.

As with the power supply, its nice, but fully modular does not matter, and I am using an I5, not an I7.

6 minutes ago, R3ep3r said:

Thermaltake smart psu is really mediocre. Check PSU tier list for good psu

3 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Thermaltake smart psu is really mediocre. Check PSU tier list for good psu

@deXxterlab97 After consulting the list, and looking at the whitelist, it seems like the conflict on almost everything. Like SeaSonic, on the tier 1 is many products from them, the whitelist says avoid them at all costs. And the EVGA is the G2, or NEX good or bad? I am unsure.

7 minutes ago, Zayl657 said:

@deXxterlab97 After consulting the list, and looking at the whitelist, it seems like the conflict on almost everything. Like SeaSonic, on the tier 1 is many products from them, the whitelist says avoid them at all costs. And the EVGA is the G2, or NEX good or bad? I am unsure.

huh the whitelist says seasonic should always be trusted. Not sure where you reading from

Just now, Zayl657 said:

@deXxterlab97 I am an idiot, I read it wrong sorry. So would this PSU be a good option? https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151118

Would it have all the connectors I would need?

I would get evga g2 550w for same price, comes with 10 year warranty and have a superb performance. You don't need 650w

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story6&reid=440

1 minute ago, deXxterlab97 said:

@deXxterlab97 Thanks, I will more than likely end up going with that then.

As for a case, any suggestions? As I said, I don't care about clear side panels, and if it is quiet, cool, if not its fine, it just has to have ample room for cable management, and fitting parts into it.

1 minute ago, Zayl657 said:

@deXxterlab97 Thanks, I will more than likely end up going with that then.

As for a case, any suggestions? As I said, I don't care about clear side panels, and if it is quiet, cool, if not its fine, it just has to have ample room for cable management, and fitting parts into it.

NZXT S340 is nice. It has a side panel though. Phanteks P400s too. 

1 minute ago, deXxterlab97 said:

NZXT S340 is nice. It has a side panel though. Phanteks P400s too. 

@deXxterlab97 Yeah, I get the feeling as time goes on the clear side panel is getting ever un-avoidable. These are great suggestions and I will look in to them. Last question, I promise, What are your thoughts on the Fractal Design Define R5?

1 minute ago, Zayl657 said:

@deXxterlab97 Yeah, I get the feeling as time goes on the clear side panel is getting ever un-avoidable. These are great suggestions and I will look in to them. Last question, I promise, What are your thoughts on the Fractal Design Define R5?

It's also a nice case. Since it has no side panel you could go with it. 

Just now, deXxterlab97 said:

It's also a nice case. Since it has no side panel you could go with it. 

@deXxterlab97 Thanks a bunch!

I  think the fractal design r5 silent Blackout is fantastic. Understated outside, easy to work in, with plenty of airflow.

There is enough youth in this world, how about a fountain of smart?

1 minute ago, crzyces said:

I  think the fractal design r5 silent Blackout is fantastic. Understated outside, easy to work in, with plenty of airflow.

Thanks man, I have a bit to think about in the case department lol.

6 minutes ago, Zayl657 said:

@deXxterlab97 Thanks a bunch!

Same with the fractal design black window.

5 hours ago, Zayl657 said:

Thanks man, I have a bit to think about in the case department lol.

To give you slightly more options within the same relative case area, you can check out Fractal Design's Define S and Define C (c for compact) depending on your needs. they all have window-less options and are slightly newer, so if you dont need as many hard drive bays and want more support for SSD's and future liquid cooling hardware.

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

11 hours ago, Zayl657 said:

Hello everyone!

I come seeking the wisdom of the forums!

So I am looking for help in choosing the right PSU for my build (see below) and as well, the right case for my needs.

My build is as follows:

CPU: I5-7600k

Cooler: Cryorig H7

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200 16GB kit

Motherboard: MSI Z270 Gaming Pro Carbon (ATX)

Storage: Cruicial SSD, and WD 1tb HDD

GPU: *Planned* Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1

So I just need help choosing the PSU that can handle the build, and still have some juice for later parts, the plan is for a 650W, but not sure which to go for.

As for the case, I am thinking a mid-tower, but there are so many options, I could never begin to choose.

It's not that a full tower would be too big, I just do not think it is needed.

As for what I am looking for is, not too small; I don't care too much about being quiet, but it would be nice; and I do not care at all about having an open/glass side panel. I know that my build would elude to some RGB building strategy, but all parts I have gotten thus far has been based on amazing deals, and price to performance gains.

Thank you for any advice you can give!

For your system an EVGA 650GQ would be solid. For a case it's up to you, and you claim to not want a side panel window, but if this is your first time building a PC I would highly recommend a case such as the Fractal Define R5 or Define C.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

3 hours ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

For your system an EVGA 650GQ would be solid. For a case it's up to you, and you claim to not want a side panel window, but if this is your first time building a PC I would highly recommend a case such as the Fractal Define R5 or Define C.

The reasoning behind the side panel, is that this tower is going to sit under my desk, not on top, so it is not going to be a showpiece. It's not that I hate the clear side panels for any reason, it is just that my build does not warrant it, with the random jumble of parts I have assembled. It seems like the fractal design cases are some of the best quiet cases on the market, especially for the price point, so I will take a look in to them.

8 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

To give you slightly more options within the same relative case area, you can check out Fractal Design's Define S and Define C (c for compact) depending on your needs. they all have window-less options and are slightly newer, so if you dont need as many hard drive bays and want more support for SSD's and future liquid cooling hardware.

The Define S seems like a good contender. Its got a bit more room than the Define R5 by removing the 5 1/4" bays. Thanks for the suggestions! 

36 minutes ago, Zayl657 said:

The Define S seems like a good contender. Its got a bit more room than the Define R5 by removing the 5 1/4" bays. Thanks for the suggestions! 

Speaking of showcase PC's, I'm more of a practical type of builder, but still like to show off. They have some awesome wooden cases out there that literally compliment just about whatever. The one I am using for my 5650 build is essentially an end table made of cherry wood, with ventilation. I'm using an old office drawer I grabbed for free on Craigslist. I love the idea of cases that blend into the theme of the room. If you google custom wooden pc cases you will see some amazing builds.