Need help with LED's

ZUB XD

So I've been looking on eBay for RGB LED's which I will put behind and under my desk, under my bed but I can only find strips with these endings

a753a73873.png 

So I'm no technician, what would I need to purchase with this to get it working? (I live in Europe).

if you guys could help me with finding:

RGB Led strips (with controller)

And a weird adapter to make it work.

I'd be perfect if it is on eBay or Aliexpress

Thanks!

Just now, xhantus404 said:

I think there is a swedish furniture manufacturer that also sells RGB strips that come complete with a power plug, a controlling unit and all.

IKEA?

If the cable has only two wires, it's most likely not RGB. You'd need at least 3 wires ... It's probably just one color or white.

It's either two for power and one or several wires for data (if every led has  tiny chip that can decode those bits and set the rgb colors accordingly and pass data to the next leds)

For the non programmable led strips, it's usually 4 wires (ground and voltage for red, green and blue channels - and you'd adjust the brightness of each r,g,b channels by varying the amount of time within a second you power each channel

if there's just two wires, it's usually just power, either 5v or 12v ... black for ground, red is +5v or +12v - you can tell which voltage by the number of leds in a segment of the strip... if there's segments of 3 leds then the strip probably needs 12v to run.

18 minutes ago, ZUB xD said:

So I've been looking on eBay for RGB LED's which I will put behind and under my desk, under my bed but I can only find strips with these endings

a753a73873.png 

So I'm no technician, what would I need to purchase with this to get it working? (I live in Europe).

if you guys could help me with finding:

RGB Led strips (with controller)

And a weird adapter to make it work.

I'd be perfect if it is on eBay or Aliexpress

Thanks!

I don't know what voltage or amperage the strip needs, but if it's something like a 400mA 12v you could just splice the cables into the psu. 

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

Wait, there is no amazon in the netherlands? There sure is that furniture company tho?

Are you talking about IKEA?

I might be. I have one of their rgb lighting thingies, they are not really all that cheap tho. That amazon link looked way better, there must be something alike that ships to where you live?

Nope, Germany is the closest country with Amazon there is for me.

Or when I'm in Ausstria but yea..

Netherlands is in the EU last time i checked , you can go to Amazon.co.uk or Amazon.de  or Amazon.fr and order stuff as if you'd order from your country.

Just pick Amazon as seller or by a EU seller, to get fast and cheap shipping.

3 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Netherlands is in the EU last time i checked , you can go to Amazon.co.uk or Amazon.de  or Amazon.fr and order stuff as if you'd order from your country.

Just pick Amazon as seller or by a EU seller, to get fast and cheap shipping.

Impossible, we here have iDeal (different payment system) or PayPal  you'd need a CreditCard

2 minutes ago, xhantus404 said:

You can cut them with scissors. They usually have markings where it is recommended/safe to do so.

But then the other side is ruined?

Amazon normally offers a variety of payment options, not only credit card.

Hm.. last time I checked it wasn't there, I'll look into it

Pretty much so. Technically you can re-attach it, or even attach it right to the start of the whole ordeal and have it split into two right away - that requires a bit of careful tinkering, but it can be done.

Hm.. Interesting.

On Amazon.de (dutch version of DE) I found these https://www.amazon.de/Streifen-Lichter-Fernbedienung-LED-Lichtröhren-Energieklasse-DIY-Partei-Dekoration-Beleuchtung/dp/B01JFXWWN0/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1491762520&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=Topmax+5050+16.4ft%2F5m+Led+Strip+Lights

These'd work, right?

Amazon sells products by themselves or other sellers can use their systems to sell their products. In the later case, sellers can send in advance products to Amazon warehouses and Amazon takes care of everything, or sellers can simply use Amazon's payment systems and ship the products themselves.

So every time you find a product, look under  the title of that product to see if it's sold by Amazon or a third party seller, and then look if it's a product shipped by Amazon or not. If the product is not shipped by Amazon, there's a big chance your product will be shipped from China or some place that would take weeks to arrive, or it's the seller's way to work around Amazon's restrictions and charge some ridiculous shipping costs (while listing the product as very cheap on the page)

here's an example :

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stontronics-Strip-Power-Supply-Controller/dp/B01H1IZ828/ref=sr_1_19?ie=UTF8&qid=1491763240&sr=8-19&keywords=rgb+led+strip

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stontronics-RGB-LED-Strip-IP20/dp/B01H1IZ1GG/ref=sr_1_36?ie=UTF8&qid=1491763388&sr=8-36&keywords=rgb+led+strip

Note how it says " Dispatched from and sold by Amazon" - that means that the seller Stontronics send a bunch of these to Amazon warehouse and then Amazon takes care of shipping the item for them, so you can be sure it would be reasonable shipping cost.