7600k vs 6600k which 1 to go with?

hello,

i am building a new pc and i dont know which cpu generation to go with, 7600k or 6600k, i didnt use windows 10 either.

so which 1 u guys think is better?

Just now, D4RK said:

hello,

i am building a new pc and i dont know which cpu generation to go with, 7600k or 6600k, i didnt use windows 10 either.

Uh. Well obviously the 7600k is better. But price is a factor worth including...

Just now, TomR said:

Uh. Well obviously the 7600k is better. But price is a factor worth including...

i checked the prices not that big of a difference and i am fine with it. also is there any big change between z170 and z270?

Just now, D4RK said:

i checked the prices not that big of a difference and i am fine with it. also is there any big change between z170 and z270?

No

2 minutes ago, D4RK said:

Neither:

• Get a 7700 (non K) and a B250 motherboard or
  • get a Ryzen 5 CPU

Either way, the 6600K/7600K is not worth it ;)

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

Just now, D4RK said:

If you get a 6600k, then there is ZERO reason to get a z270. However, if you get a 7600k and a z170 board there's a chance it may need a BIOS update in order to use it. Safe bet it 7600k/z270

CPU: INTEL Core i7 4790k @ 4.7Ghz - Cooling: NZXT Kraken X61 - Mobo: Gigabyte Z97X SLI - RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ares 2400mhz - GPU: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 Fury 4G - Case: Phanteks P350X - PSU: EVGA 750GQ - Storage: WD Black 1TB - Fans: 2x Noctua NF-P14s (Push) / 2x Corsair AF140 (Pull) / 3x Corsair AF120 (Exhaust) - Keyboard: Corsair K70 Cherry MX Red - Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma

Bit of an AMD fan I suppose. I don't bias my replies to anything however, I just prefer AMD and their products. Buy whatever the H*CK you want. 

---QUOTE ME OR I WILL LIKELY NOT REPLY---

1 minute ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Neither:

• Get a 7700 (non K) and a B250 motherboard or
  • get a Ryzen 5 CPU

Either way, the 6600K/7600K is not worth it ;)

why do u think so? i will be overclocking it anyway.

The 7600k is basically a faster clocked 6600k so treat it as such. If the price difference is small it would definitely be worth to get the 7600k for the extra boost in performance. Also I would look into what operating system you are going to use and make sure there aren't any significant issues with running that Os on kabylake as some people have some issues running Windows 7 although from what I have heard they are some minor issues but I would still look into more deeply

3 minutes ago, D4RK said:

why do u think so? i will be overclocking it anyway.

Newer games can use more threads, so the 7700 performs better:

The Ryzen 5 CPU won't be better in games, but it is cheaper ;)

Edited by PCGuy_5960
wrong video

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

4 minutes ago, Vegetable said:

If you get a 6600k, then there is ZERO reason to get a z270. However, if you get a 7600k and a z170 board there's a chance it may need a BIOS update in order to use it. Safe bet it 7600k/z270

Idk I know when I was thinking about getting a 6700k there were z270 boards that were basically the same price as the z170.

2 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Idk I know when I was thinking about getting a 6700k there were z270 boards that were basically the same price as the z170.

Go for it, 6700K is great.  Just choose the cheapest mobo that you like the look of that has the features you want

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

Just now, Damascus said:

Go for it, 6700K is great.  Just choose the cheapest mobo that you like the look of that has the features you want

I already got the r7 1700 instead as I need the extra cores for computer aided engineering simulations. The only reason why I was considering the 6700k was because at the time it was 260 at microcenter and I had just enough money for that but then I found some really old bonds of mine and was able to afford the r7 1700 

2 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

I already got the r7 1700 instead as I need the extra cores for computer aided engineering simulations. The only reason why I was considering the 6700k was because at the time it was 260 at microcenter and I had just enough money for that but then I found some really old bonds of mine and was able to afford the r7 1700 

Totally agree, I'm actually switching to R7 for the same reason xD

29 minutes ago, D4RK said:

hello,

The 7600k isnt "supported" by windows 7 or 8 which is bull shit. They basically wont give you even just the security updates for kaby lake. Skylake is still a go if I remember. Clearly though the 7600k is a better processor but like others have said the OC potential isnt worth what a locked i7 will bring normally and they are pretty close in price. 

45 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

snip

40 minutes ago, Damascus said:

snip

now i am thinking to get 6700k what u guys think? and also what is the cheapest motherboard,and will the motherboard affect the over clocking much? if so which is the cheapest and gives good oc "air"

Just now, D4RK said:

now i am thinking to get 6700k what u guys think? and also what is the cheapest motherboard,and will the motherboard affect the over clocking much? if so which is the cheapest and gives good oc "air"

6700K is pretty good, don't know much about what mobo to get beyond Z170 with an extra 4-pin CPU power

3 minutes ago, D4RK said:

AsRock Z170 Pro4