Take wifi connection and create own network

Joseph

I'm considering moving into an office that provides wifi. What's the best/easiest solution where I can create my own local network and take their wifi as my broadband supply?

I want to be able to run a VPN from the bridged connection.

Ideally looks like this:

Their wifi -> my router (VPN) -> my devices (both ethernet & wifi)

Cheers :-)

you might be able to make a PFsense router out of a old PC, and set the wan to the wifi card, and the Ethernet port as your LAN(use a switch for more ports). and in PFsense you should be able to set up a router based VPN. and you will have to google how to fix a double NAT issue, my router has settings for that.

NOTE: I am a monkey and just giving you my best guess on how I would try and do this. your biggest issue will be dealing with the double NAT and stuff. to add wifi you need 2 wifi cards or a AP

EDIT: thinking about it more, the VPN might fix the double NAT and UPnD issues.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

So basicly you want to use your own device as a hotspot? 

maybe this is what you are looking for.

http://lifehacker.com/turn-your-windows-10-computer-into-a-wi-fi-hotspot-1724762931

This way you can use a laptop as hotspot for example, just by using the CMD command prompt.

office wifi > your laptop/PC > your other devices

Hope this helps :)

Thanks Ben & Jarno.

Basically what I want is to have my own normal local network/router which takes broadband feed from existing wifi.

Ben, thanks - I think your suggestion to have an access point feed a router makes sense.

I always carry one of these in my backpack: https://www.amazon.com/HooToo-Wireless-Performance-TripMate-Hotspot/dp/B00HZWOQZ6

It can connect to an existing wireless connection then create a new wireless network. It might be too simple for your needs, but they might have other products that fit your requirements better.

-KuJoe