What is true latancy (ns) compared to CL?

basically whats in the title, i know very little about memory and i want to learn more about its specification and how to interpret those. 

True latency is a physical time. Say, 3 seconds, except in a much smaller scale. CL, on the other hand, is a number of clock cycles; if each cycle takes a second and I have CL 3, it means I have a true latency of 3s.

Basically, you need to convert CL into true latency if you want to compare latency between two kits with different frequency.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

non-sequential (gaming) latency: 2000 x (CL divided by Speed in Mhz) = latency in ns

idk

2 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

non-sequential (gaming) latency: 2000 x (CL divided by Speed in Mhz) = latency in ns

3 minutes ago, Imakuni said:

True latency is a physical time. Say, 3 seconds, except in a much smaller scale. CL, on the other hand, is a number of clock cycles; if each cycle takes a second and I have CL 3, it means I have a true latency of 3s.

Basically, you need to convert CL into true latency if you want to compare latency between two kits with different frequency.

so would true latency be a better number to go by when comparing ram sticks? i generally heard that some applications prefer CL over mhz but i don't know how that translates into true latency.

2 minutes ago, tlink said:

so would true latency be a better number to go by when comparing ram sticks? i generally heard that some applications prefer CL over mhz but i don't know how that translates into true latency.

Nonsequential is gaming latency, since people can do anything in a game and access different parts of memory

Sequential is non-gaming latency, for Premiere for example, as it uses the memory sequentially

Use the formula above for info on non-seq latency, whereas the seq latency is a whole different beast, look it up

idk

45 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

Nonsequential is gaming latency, since people can do anything in a game and access different parts of memory

Sequential is non-gaming latency, for Premiere for example, as it uses the memory sequentially

Use the formula above for info on non-seq latency, whereas the seq latency is a whole different beast, look it up

wait so ram isn't randomized? or is that a whole different matter altogether? i thought the cpu randomized ram to prevent hacking specific memory regions or something so they can't easily find security keys and stuff like that. or am i completely confusing this and has sequential and non sequential more to do with how the program calls onto memory?