Why NOT to get the 760/770 4GB

TechSage

Okay so in a nutshell, don't get the 760 or 770 4GB version because the memory bus simply isn't big enough to accommodate for the amount of VRAM that it has.

The general rule of thumb is 128 bit per gigabyte of VRAM. But the 770 has 256 bit bus so that means that 2GB of VRAM can be used, but not 4GB since it just isn't big enough. If you look at the R9 290X, it has a 512 bit bus, so that means it can use all 4GB of VRAM that it has.

Feel free to link this if someone doesn't know why everyone is saying not to get the 770 4GB 

No it can use more that 2gb. A 670 can acess about 2.5-3 gb. A 770 with its faster vram can do about 3-3.5

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

Can someone clarify with facts about this once & for all if it's true or not?

| CPU: i7 3770k | MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z77A-G45 Gaming | GPU: GTX 770 | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident X | PSU: XFX PRO 1050w | STORAGE: SSD 120GB PQI +  6TB HDD | COOLER: Thermaltake: Water 2.0 | CASE: Cooler Master: HAF 912 Plus |

And because it isn't a 780Ti.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

?

You can't use all 6GB of VRAM. But you can use 3GB

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Can someone clarify with facts about this once & for all if it's true or not?

It's true or else nobody would mention it while shopping for GPU's

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Wow this is such a troll thread. And I'm right because I say am I. And i'm far to busy to quote any sources. Great logic OP.

Athlon X2 2.2ghz ??? Yeah i'm looking to you for high end hardware advice lololol.

Main Rig: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/58641-the-i7-950s-gots-to-go-updated-104/ | CPU: Intel i7-4930K | GPU: 2x EVGA Geforce GTX Titan SC SLI| MB: EVGA X79 Dark | RAM: 16GB HyperX Beast 2400mhz | SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256gb | HDD: 2x Western Digital Raptors 74gb | EX-H34B Hot Swap Rack | Case: Lian Li PC-D600 | Cooling: H100i | Power Supply: Corsair HX1050 |

Pfsense Build (Repurposed for plex) https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/715459-pfsense-build/

Wow this is such a troll thread. And I'm right because I say am I. And i'm far to busy to quote any sources. Great logic OP.

Athlon X2 2.2ghz ??? Yeah i'm looking to you for high end hardware advice lololol.

That's the oldest chip I have, I'm running 4930K, this isn't a troll thread, you just can't face the facts, and people like you are the reason they are making video cards in different models while no benefits are achieved. Only you consider this a troll thread, I've been on this forum since the beginning, and I'm not telling you any lies. Leave if you don't like it.

That's the oldest chip I have, I'm running 4930K, this isn't a troll thread, you just can't face the facts, and people like you are the reason they are making video cards in different models while no benefits are achieved. Only you consider this a troll thread, I've been on this forum since the beginning, and I'm not telling you any lies. Leave if you don't like it.

These trollers... be hatin. My cards already use more than the 3gb available on the GTX 780. Your "opinion" matters not to me. I own the hardware. It works. 

And your a 100% troll, you bring up a controversial topic that we've beat into the ground many times before, you provide no new sources, and you're doing it just to start a fight. You're a troll. 

Main Rig: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/58641-the-i7-950s-gots-to-go-updated-104/ | CPU: Intel i7-4930K | GPU: 2x EVGA Geforce GTX Titan SC SLI| MB: EVGA X79 Dark | RAM: 16GB HyperX Beast 2400mhz | SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256gb | HDD: 2x Western Digital Raptors 74gb | EX-H34B Hot Swap Rack | Case: Lian Li PC-D600 | Cooling: H100i | Power Supply: Corsair HX1050 |

Pfsense Build (Repurposed for plex) https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/715459-pfsense-build/

A 512-Bit 4GB 770Ti or a 384-Bit 3GB 760Ti would be awesome.

Nvidia can't just double the bus width. It would need to be an entirely new gpu

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place

These trollers... be hatin. My cards already use more than the 3gb available on the GTX 780. Your "opinion" matters not to me. I own the hardware. It works. 

And your a 100% troll, you bring up a controversial topic that we've beat into the ground many times before, you provide no new sources, and you're doing it just to start a fight. You're a troll. 

600/700 series both are based on the same architecture so Nvidia cannot really changed the memory bus, and how the actual fuck can you use more than 3GB......780 has ONLY 3 gigabytes of VRAM, plus, the reason you can use all of it is because the memory is large enough, unlike the 770 and 760. You're wrong, you're the troll

600/700 series both are based on the same architecture so Nvidia cannot really changed the memory bus, and how the actual fuck can you use more than 3GB......780 has ONLY 3 gigabytes of VRAM, plus, the reason you can use all of it is because the memory is large enough, unlike the 770 and 760. You're wrong, you're the troll

They made a card.... its called the titan... it has 6gb of memory. You obviously know everything, not sure how that slipped past you. Its only in my sig. Geesh. 

They made a card.... its called the titan... it has 6gb of memory. You obviously know everything, not sure how that slipped past you. Its only in my sig. Geesh. 

Titan is the reason why 780 and 780Ti only have 3GB of VRAM, otherwise, Titan wouldn't sell, 

I don't know what to do now =( I was planning on getting a GTX 770 4GB for my surround setup, but with this info I don't know how. I want a Nvidia card for Shadowplay reasons, but I can't afford a 780. Should I just go for a 2GB version? I currently have a GTX 650 2GB and it doesn't take up all the VRAM when I run games in surround, soo.....

I don't know what to do now =( I was planning on getting a GTX 770 4GB for my surround setup, but with this info I don't know how. I want a Nvidia card for Shadowplay reasons, but I can't afford a 780. Should I just go for a 2GB version? I currently have a GTX 650 2GB and it doesn't take up all the VRAM when I run games in surround, soo.....

Just wait for Maxwell. Around Feb-Mar, you'll be much better off getting and R9 290 but you need shadow play you should wait for Maxwell, it's a whole new architecture with 20nm die so less power consumption. If you want, get the 770, if you use more than 2GB return it, although I would wait because even though you can run some games, you will get capped with that 2GB frame buffer

well, better just wait for Maxwell :D

It's almost within us anyway :)

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670k Mobo: MSI Z97 Gaming 3 RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 8GB 1866 Video Card: MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G SSDSamsung 840 Evo 250GB HDD: WD 1TB + 500GB Caviar Blue
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2 Case: Gigabyte GZ-G1 Mouse: Corsair M65 RGB Keyboard: Corsair K70 MX Brown MousePad: Corsair MM200
Steam/Origin/Uplay: renz62

Maxwell seems so tempting, but long to wait :(

| CPU: i7 3770k | MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z77A-G45 Gaming | GPU: GTX 770 | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident X | PSU: XFX PRO 1050w | STORAGE: SSD 120GB PQI +  6TB HDD | COOLER: Thermaltake: Water 2.0 | CASE: Cooler Master: HAF 912 Plus |

Maxwell seems so tempting, but long to wait :(

Good things come to those who wait.

Good things come to those who wait.

Wise words mate :)

Just wait for Maxwell. Around Feb-Mar, you'll be much better off getting and R9 290 but you need shadow play you should wait for Maxwell, it's a whole new architecture with 20nm die so less power consumption. If you want, get the 770, if you use more than 2GB return it, although I would wait because even though you can run some games, you will get capped with that 2GB frame buffer

Well I can't afford my rig till January-March next year anyways, so ok =)

Is that approximately when it'll come out?

Or.. is it like the 800 series for Geforce cards....

Well I can't afford my rig till January-March next year anyways, so ok =)

Is that approximately when it'll come out?

Or.. is it like the 800 series for Geforce cards....

Around feb-march, and 800 series code name is Maxwell. Like 600 series is Kepler. Maxwell is for Nvidia

Your OP is simply put wrong. The amount of VRAM that can be used stutter-free depends on BOTH memory bus width AND VRAM frequency.

The reason why the 760 and 770 have 2GB and 4GB versions is that both cards CAN use more than 2GB of VRAM. However, the additional VRAM added to the card has to be double or nothing.

So you are a quarter right, they will NOT use all 4 GB smoothly, but they are both capable of using more than 2 GB. Yet, you can't add just 1 more gig to it, it has to be 2 -> 4 -> 6. Just like a 780 or Titan has to be 3 -> 6 -> 9 UNLESS the manufacturer adds another memory controller to the PCB, significantly increasing the price.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Your OP is simply put wrong. The amount of VRAM that can be used stutter-free depends on BOTH memory bus width AND VRAM frequency.

The reason why the 760 and 770 have 2GB and 4GB versions is that both cards CAN use more than 2GB of VRAM. However, the additional VRAM added to the card has to be double or nothing.

So you are a quarter right, they will NOT use all 4 GB smoothly, but they are both capable of using more than 2 GB. Yet, you can't add just 1 more gig to it, it has to be 2 -> 4 -> 6. Just like a 780 or Titan has to be 3 -> 6 -> 9 UNLESS the manufacturer adds another memory controller to the PCB, significantly increasing the price.

What my point was that you shouldn't buy the 4GB model because you will be paying extra but you won't be able to use all of it, unlike the R9 290X with it's giant 512 bit bus

We'll see about this...