Help! Windows 10 on a diet??

alexdadoof

Hey all~

I've been told that this amazing community is great for helping each other out, sooo~
This is my question to any of yall who can help me out here.

Any any one tell me, what I should do upon a clean install of Win 10 - in order to keep CPU utilization down from background, keep my performance up, no bloatware, uninstall preinstalled apps like MS store, etc...
Basically put my Windows 10 on a diet, and just have it almost barebones... 
any and all input would be great!.

So far, I've only found Ultimate Windows tweaker.. but i know there's a lot more.
Thanks in advance!

-Alex

My Rig:

i7-6700 K @ 4.6ghz

--Swiftech H220 X2 AIO w/ 2x Noctua iPPC 3000 PWM 

Gigabyte Z170X-Ultra Gaming-CF

32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum

2x MSI GTX 1080 SLI

120gb Samsung 850 Evo M.2

500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD

2TB Seagate HDD

Gigabyte H750 PSU

http://valid.x86.fr/ugyw6m  < CPU-Z Validator

Long live Stalin, he loves you; sing these words, or you know what he’ll do!

You're on Skylake, right?

Rip down Windows 7 and use that or use NTLite to rip down Windows 10 and run it with the integral programs

idk

Disable any and all unneeded startup programs and then blow your brains out when the new bloat crap installs stuff without your permission that bloats the system again

4 minutes ago, Jskn said:

Linux

Unless you are using PCI-passthrough or dual booting its not worth it if you are going to play a lot of different games on it

Its also completely unrelated to the OPs question

16 hours ago, Jskn said:

Linux

yeah not gonna do with Linux =[

16 hours ago, Droidbot said:

You're on Skylake, right?

Rip down Windows 7 and use that or use NTLite to rip down Windows 10 and run it with the integral programs

Yes I am on Skylake, Never heard of NTLite, i'll take a look at that. Thanks!!

16 hours ago, noisebomb44 said:

Thanks for the links!!  I've just done them now. :)

My Rig:

i7-6700 K @ 4.6ghz

--Swiftech H220 X2 AIO w/ 2x Noctua iPPC 3000 PWM 

Gigabyte Z170X-Ultra Gaming-CF

32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum

2x MSI GTX 1080 SLI

120gb Samsung 850 Evo M.2

500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD

2TB Seagate HDD

Gigabyte H750 PSU

http://valid.x86.fr/ugyw6m  < CPU-Z Validator

Microsoft is an murica based company. It will be hard to put windows on a diet and keep it at it's lowered weight as others already said.

You'd have to turn to some paranoid people who rip out any and all telemetry, and who rip out all updates and such. Lots of work, lots of time, you might get issues in the future with new software/games. This is one of the main reasons why I am still on my slightly modded Windows 7.

Go to barnaculeses cahnnel and search Windows 10 telemetry. Also running Windows 9.5 is a good option if you dont mind putting in the time. Here's more details on that

21 minutes ago, RUWO_builder said:

Go to barnaculeses cahnnel and search Windows 10 telemetry.

Barnacules doesn't know everything. When I was looking for ways to stop telemetry, I went to different sites and they all found other things. You'd need to combine them all and hope you block 90%.

45 minutes ago, alexdadoof said:

Any any one tell me, what I should do upon a clean install of Win 10 - in order to keep CPU utilization down from background,

It should be down to 0 regardless. If not, then you installed something taking the CPU, or you have a system problem that needs to be looked into (driver issue?)

keep my performance up,

Performance will be up. Based on benchmarks Windows 10 gives you the most performance in most games.

no bloatware, uninstall preinstalled apps like MS store, etc...

Installed app consumes DISK space (a few MB), it doesn't consume RAM, or CPU. They aren't running on the back.

You should discover these apps, some of them might interest you.

Basically put my Windows 10 on a diet, and just have it almost barebones... 

Sure you can. Then you'll complain that your system has no no basic security, and nothing really works. Be careful for what you wish for.

So far, I've only found Ultimate Windows tweaker.. but i know there's a lot more.

Does nothing beside some small registry tweaks here and there, where many are in options of Windows already. Ok. Doesn't do what you want to do from what I can see.

I have already done extensive testing on having Windows "lean", and went after all these "system performance boosting" task, and you know what was the results:

• Performance difference was identical, or worst
  • System security was potentially at risk, user experience was affected, and many things stopped working.
  • Most of these "system performance boost" things suggested are nothing more than myths.

These test were repeated once again in my past job, where we were seeking to maximize the performance of our plane simulator (extremely system intensive software). The testing was done by us, dev team, and IT as well, and the results came back as the above.

Also, a user here on this forum has done so himself, and went above and beyond... and concluded that there was no performance difference.

To fix windows 10 to a somewhat proper level you will need to take like a week of configuring when you do it for the first time because navigating is a learning curve. For  a visual aid on some of the tricks you can watch this video from techcity also watch the anniversary update one.

List of things i have done:-

1. Uninstall all win10 apps i do not want or need
  2. uninstalling and disabling xbox game dvr. This is probably the most lag making thing on win10. The only way you will know if you did this correctly is when you stop seeing gamedvr pop up in the task manager.
  3. telling cortana to eff off
  4. turning off remote access windows 10
  5. I went in to settings and turned off mic and camera access as i do not use them
  6. turned off almost all telemetry shit
  7. Turned off the auto connect to a wifi/hotspot/ap shit
  8. configured my takbar so i don't have that remedial huge search box
  9. set default apps
  10. turned off projecting to this PC, this is found in settings then system then projecting to this pc
  11. turned off feedback hum this is found just under projecting to this PC
  12. disabled maps, proxy, vpn, auto play, sync your settings, 
  13. disabled the three options for advanced options on the windows update page in settings to prevent
  14. stopping win10 from auto installing driver this can frustrate you to the point of pulling your hair out as drivers are installed without your knowledge and settings are changed...RIP audio configurations.
  15. having to do registry TCP/IP tweaks to lower internet jitter....this is for advanced users.
  16. uninstalling windows store and never using any apps there.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

2. Game DVR is disabled by default

3. Cortana is disabled by default

4. Disabled by default

7. Only if you have a wireless card, and how is that bad?

10. Does nothing until you start the "Connect" app

12. All disabled by default

15. Sounds like a driver issue

16. This will make currently installed apps be out dated. Then you'll complain about bugs and issues.

7 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

7. Only if you have a wireless card, and how is that bad?

Atleast with windows 7 it can connect to unknown hotspots without you noticing if your own wifi dies, who can then track your traffic among other things

Edited by noisebomb44
grammar

2 minutes ago, noisebomb44 said:

Atleast with windows 7 it can connect to an unknown hotspots without you noticing if your own wifi dies, who can then track your traffic among other things

I never had this behavior in Windows 7, nor heard anything about it. It is probably your drivers, or you installed those shit Wireless connection manager Windows replacement app, proudly coded in the lowest quality possible, with low to no security, and done the cheapest that system builders and wireless card INSIST in installing... 'cause apparently their is better than Windows built-in one?!?!

2 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

I never had this behavior in Windows 7, nor heard anything about it. It is probably your drivers, or you installed those shit Wireless connection manager Windows replacement app, proudly coded in the lowest quality possible, with low to no security, and done the cheapest that system builders and wireless card INSIST in installing... 'cause apparently their is better than Windows built-in one?!?!

Not sure what you are talking about, i've seen loads of people with this same problem and im using the stock drivers as far as i know

Examples:

https://superuser.com/questions/380670/windows-7-automatically-connecting-to-unsecured-wireless-networks-on-startup

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-networking/how-to-disable-auto-wireless-connect-in-windows-7/52d33896-f356-4f9f-8390-79a686900cab

http://www.wikihow.com/Prevent-Windows-from-Connecting-to-Unsecured-Wireless-Networks

5 minutes ago, noisebomb44 said:

Well, I don't know... the first post indicates  that the issue that with Intel wireless card.. at least a set of driver versions.

Last link, is for telling Windows to not to connect to a wireless network you already connected to in the past.

35 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Well, I don't know... the first post indicates  that the issue that with Intel wireless card.. at least a set of driver versions.

Last link, is for telling Windows to not to connect to a wireless network you already connected to in the past.

Im actually also using a intel wireless card, maybe thats where the problem is?

Sorry for including the wikihow page, thought it was on topic but the title was a bit misleading