Quick Question About Road Bike Brake Lever Replacement

Awakening

I've been looking at replacing the cheap brake levers on my road bike for a little while now and the Tektro RL340s that I had in my favorites went on sale for a pretty low price of $16 and it's hard to pass up on them for that price. I'm just wondering if it's safe to assume I'll be able to use my existing brake cables without having to mess with them too much because I don't want to also have to buy new cables.

This is my road bike.

I don't know when the sale ends so a quick response would be awesome :)

you shouldn't need to replace the cables if they're not fraying or anything.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

holy fucking shit.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

2 minutes ago, terrytek said:

I thought so. Thanks.

Just now, terrytek said:

holy fucking shit.

i posted this in the wrong forum. please disregard.

2 minutes ago, terrytek said:

I thought so. Thanks.

1 minute ago, terrytek said:

holy fucking shit.

I don't know much about cars, but I can at least appreciate the symmetry :P

Yes they'll work.

4 minutes ago, terrytek said:

Depends how long he's had it, they do stretch over time. If he's replacing the levers anyway it's a good time to replace them should they be on the older side.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Just now, dizmo said:

Yes they'll work.

Depends how long he's had it, they do stretch over time. If he's replacing the levers anyway it's a good time to replace them should they be on the older side.

yeah i should add if they're stretched, breaking, or old in general.

5 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Yes they'll work.

3 minutes ago, terrytek said:

yeah i should add if they're stretched, breaking, or old in general.

I've had the bike for a few months, but haven't road it very much. I doubt it has even 15 miles on it.

4 minutes ago, Awakening said:

I've had the bike for a few months, but haven't road it very much. I doubt it has even 15 miles on it.

You should be more than fine then. I think you'll have to retape the bars though...I don't know a great deal about road bikes, but that's what it looks like to me. Just be glad you don't have to mess around with hydraulic brakes :P

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Just now, dizmo said:

You should be more than fine then. I think you'll have to retape the bars though...I don't know a great deal about road bikes, but that's what it looks like to me. Just be glad you don't have to mess around with hydraulic brakes :P

Yeah, I kind of expected that. After having done some research, as long as the tape isn't old, it's fine to reuse it. I just hope I'm decent at rewrapping it.

I've never heard about hydraulic brakes for bikes, but that sounds fun to mess with ;)

It looks like a BSO, Bike Shaped Object that Walmart sells and various other department stores, they pop em out of China like candy.

Go to ChainReaction or Jenson USA and buy some real stuff.

Hyrdaulic brakes are over hyped, simple disc brakes or V brakes work well. Buy brand name stuff.

Also yes them brake lines need to be changed out to brand name stuff.

In all honesty if you are too lazy to watch youtube to learn how to fix something as simple as a bicycle, then spend the money and take it into your local bicycle shop. They have seen a million of them BSO's and gringe at them, laughing at you behind your back while smiling and taking your money.

BikeMan4U channel on Youtube talks about BSO's in multiple vids, and how you deal with BSO's. You throw them away, and buy brands like Giant from your LBS Local Bike Store.

2 hours ago, yathis said:

It looks like a BSO, Bike Shaped Object that Walmart sells and various other department stores, they pop em out of China like candy.

Go to ChainReaction or Jenson USA and buy some real stuff.

Hyrdaulic brakes are over hyped, simple disc brakes or V brakes work well. Buy brand name stuff.

Also yes them brake lines need to be changed out to brand name stuff.

In all honesty if you are too lazy to watch youtube to learn how to fix something as simple as a bicycle, then spend the money and take it into your local bicycle shop. They have seen a million of them BSO's and gringe at them, laughing at you behind your back while smiling and taking your money.

BikeMan4U channel on Youtube talks about BSO's in multiple vids, and how you deal with BSO's. You throw them away, and buy brands like Giant from your LBS Local Bike Store.

Because everyone has $400-500 to spend on a first-time entry-level road bike on top of the cost of accessories, locks, tools, and likely a new saddle which easily jumps the cost up to $600 or more.

To be honest, you sound like snob. Use cases exist where $600 for a bike setup doesn't make sense.

Maybe I'll do an overhaul of all the components on the bike once I'm really into using the bike and want more out of it, but for now there's nothing wrong with it after replacing the pedals, saddle, brake levers, and chain.

As for your comment on not doing research, I've been doing plenty of it. However, I'm still very new to learning about bikes and don't know everything. Something was on sale and I wanted an immediate answer because Amazon prices fluctuate frequently and I didn't want to miss the sale.

4 minutes ago, Awakening said:

-snip-

I've never heard about hydraulic brakes for bikes, but that sounds fun to mess with ;)

Haha, they're pretty nice. Better modulation, feel, etc. They're definitely not fun to mess with though, nothing's worse than having to bleed your brakes :P

They're also expensive. Mine were $900.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

9 hours ago, yathis said:

-snip-

"Over hyped". Try slowing yourself down from a high rate of speed in the wet down a mountain trail, and tell me how well your v brakes hold up.

Tektro is fine. They're not the highest brand, but they're still a nice upgrade to something that would come stock on an entry level bike.

Your elitism is rather disgusting. If he's on a budget, and that was the bike that was within his budget, so be it. You don't have to ride an expensive bike to enjoy yourself, and if it's just for A to B transportation, a cheap bike is frankly more preferable.

At least he's out there riding.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

Oh now we are going into the hydraulics vs mechanical debate again LMFAO.

OK so you are a downhiller, in the rain, gotcha.

My elitism, lol ok, some random opinion got a few of you ticked. LMFAO I like.

Where is Enderman?

A cheap bike is fine for the occasional rider, if he is out there riding like you say then he should have saved his pennies for a little better bike. And yes I ride every day to work, but I have 3 different bikes, and I am looking at buying a 4th.

An yes Walmart bikes are absolute crap, sure they are fine for the OCCASIONAL rider or school boy. For anything else, spend more money, get entry level Shimano Atlus and shifters and know and feel good about not having that one gear that always skips.

15 hours ago, Awakening said:

but for now there's nothing wrong with it after replacing the pedals, saddle, brake levers, and chain.

Again its a BSO, probably needs a grease too. Great for the occasional rider. Ride everyday its best to spend more if you got it, if not then upgrade a little at a time ..................just ...................................like .....................................you .................................are ...............................doing ............................................................................................................................................................now