Steam downloads take far too long compared to my laptop

Go to solution Solved by sirduffy4242,

Welp, I'll be marking this as solved. Here is the other forum where we (not at all) figured it out!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/spotty-download-speeds-across-devices.1187848/

Alright, so. I have been using my main desktop for a while. To connect to the internet, I have a WiFi transmitter downstairs next to my modem and router, and a WiFi receiver next to my desktop. I tested it with a couple different online speed test, and got about 7 Mbps Down (Ping: 19). Now, using the same internet connection setup, on my laptop, I get about 25 Mbps Down (Ping: 18). On my desktop I get a solid 800Kbps down on a steam download, while on my laptop I get about 1.5 Mbps.

Is there anyway to make my download speed (Desktop) on steam more closely match the download speed shown on my laptops speed test?

DirectX Diagnostic

MsInfo32

AS-SSD (Read and Write speed. The 4k speeds were agonizingly slow; I gave up.)

Starts out like this then slows down to 962kbps (aprox.) sometimes 750kbps

Here is the other forum where I posted this.

Already Tried:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Disabling Avast
  • Adding an Exception in Avast
  • Making sure steam had No Limit set as the download speed.
  • Checking download region on steam
  • Went down Steam's list of known programs to cause problems with downloads

Possible Solutions:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Maybe Steam is seeing the read and write speed of my hard drive and then throttling download speed accordingly?
  • Some Issue with Windows 10? (Both Devices are Windows 10, so probably not)
  • Some Issue with a program on my computer?

If your download speed for ex. Is 100mbit/s down steam would download 100/8=12-13mb/s

Internet speed is measured in mbits and steam is downloading in megabytes... 1byte= 8 bits

GPU: GTX 1060 6GB

RAM: 16GB HyperX RAM

CPU: R5 3600 

Motherboard: ASRock B450 Fatal1ty gaming K4

Also, does your laptop have let's say an AC adapter and your desktop is only a N rated wireless NIC?

43 minutes ago, Radiant said:

try a Cat6 (ethernet) cable

I doubt the cable is the issue, it works fine with my laptop

56 minutes ago, Lolcrokn said:

If your download speed for ex. Is 100mbit/s down steam would download 100/8=12-13mb/s

Internet speed is measured in mbits and steam is downloading in megabytes... 1byte= 8 bits

The speed test nor steam downloads were measured in bits, so I don't think this is really just me being blind to the conversion. Thanks for the interesting info though! 9_9

34 minutes ago, NinJake said:

Also, does your laptop have let's say an AC adapter and your desktop is only a N rated wireless NIC?

How would I able to check on this? This is what I have for internet connection, but it works for my laptop as well.

9 minutes ago, sirduffy4242 said:

The speed test nor steam downloads were measured in bytes, so I don't think this is really just me being blind to the conversion. Thanks for the interesting info though! 9_9

The difference is MB or Mb, pretty easy to miss the capitalization. (I still get them mixed up all the time)

9 minutes ago, NinJake said:

The difference is MB or Mb, pretty easy to miss the capitalization. (I still get them mixed up all the time)

So, considering the conversion, does this look right? Idk, I am starting to doubt if this is a real issue. This is so disheartening, I guess my internet just sucks. 

3 hours ago, sirduffy4242 said:

So, considering the conversion, does this look right? Idk, I am starting to doubt if this is a real issue. This is so disheartening, I guess my internet just sucks. 

Welp, I'll be marking this as solved. Here is the other forum where we (not at all) figured it out!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/spotty-download-speeds-across-devices.1187848/

On 04/04/2017 at 2:59 AM, sirduffy4242 said:

I know im posting a late answer but regarding my previous comment steam indeed does download in bytes and not bits

GPU: GTX 1060 6GB

RAM: 16GB HyperX RAM

CPU: R5 3600 

Motherboard: ASRock B450 Fatal1ty gaming K4