Is freesync worth it?

NSDUO

I am looking for a display to get with my first build. My friends who have both built computers say that freesync isnt necessary. I was playing with their monitors and i noticed screen tearing but I think i wont notice it since when I'm gaming I'm focused on the game and everything is moving too fast. I also heard that screen tearing only happens at high fps.

I am wondering the same thing about GSync, but I'm pretty sure GSync is WAY more expensive. I would say yes to freesync. Look at the price difference from two monitors that are almost exactly the same besides the freesync and if the price difference is less than $100 I would get it.

Freesync is most noticeable at 40-60 FPS.  What res/Hz are you planning on playing at?

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

Just now, JoeR said:

price difference is less than $100 I would get it.

Tends to be the same or a handful of shekels difference

Screen tearing happens at both high and low FPS. Basically just every time the FPS isn't the same as your monitor's refresh rates (i.e. probably 60 FPS/Hz). What freesync (or G-Sync for that matter) does is dynamically adjust your monitors refresh rate to match your FPS in game to eliminate tearing. If you think, you won't mind, of course you don't have to get a freesync panel. But I would definitely recommend it as it just adds up to a more smooth gaming experience.

WHIPLASH

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k @4.7GHz

RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4 2x8GB @3000MHz

MOBO: Asus ROG Maximus VIII Ranger

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA Supernova 650GS

CASE: Fractal Design Define S

Also do keep in mind that you need an AMD GPU for freesync to work at all (I do assume that you already knew that, though)

WHIPLASH

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k @4.7GHz

RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4 2x8GB @3000MHz

MOBO: Asus ROG Maximus VIII Ranger

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA Supernova 650GS

CASE: Fractal Design Define S

Screen tearing can happen at any time the frames provided by the GPU are not in sync with the frames being displayed by the monitor. It is most common above the monitor's refresh rate, but can happen at any frame rate. 

Freesync is not essential, but it does make a hell of a difference and you definitely notice it in game. Have either of your friends actually used an adaptive refesh rate technology? (FreeSync, GSync, AdaptiveSync?). If not, they can't really tell you how good or bad it is as it's something you can only experience if you've actually seen it in action. 

I'm also not sure what you mean by "worth it", as there's not really any price premium associated with FreeSync like there is with GSync, so it's not like you're paying extra to have it. 

I would say FreeSync is a very important feature to consider when choosing a monitor (if your GPU supports it, of course). It makes a hell of a difference. Bear in mind it will only operate under the monitor's refresh rate, so if you're only playing something like CS:GO where you're always above the monitor's refresh rate, there's not much point in it.

Just now, toasty6776 said:

Also do keep in mind that you need an AMD GPU for freesync to work at all (I do assume that you already knew that, though)

Yea I'm thinking a rx 470 or rx 480. But i heard that the rx 500 series or something like that was gonna come out soon so I'm gonna load my friends gtx 750 ti ftw until it comes out. So for a bit I'm not gonna be able to take advantage of freesync.

i'd say that freesync/gsync are about as worth it as a mechanical keyboard. there is not really anything "measurable" there that can be used how "worth" it is, but some people swear by spending just that bit more to get something they feel is a better experience.

4 minutes ago, Damascus said:

Freesync is most noticeable at 40-60 FPS.  What res/Hz are you planning on playing at?

Well I'm planning on a rx 470 or 480 but i wanna wait until the 500 series comes out or whatever they name it. So I'm gonna be loading my friends gtx 750ti ftw until it comes out. So for a while I'm not gonna be able to utilize freesync. If the 500 series is anything like the 400 series, I'm thinking 50-80 fps on graphically intense games on ultra, and then potatoe games like cs:go and overwatch, 100-200 fps

Just now, NSDUO said:

Yea I'm thinking a rx 470 or rx 480. But i heard that the rx 500 series or something like that was gonna come out soon so I'm gonna load my friends gtx 750 ti ftw until it comes out. So for a bit I'm not gonna be able to take advantage of freesync.

RX 500 is just an improved version of RX 400 series cause they use the same GPU.

If u want to wait. wait for VEGA instead.

For me i hate screen tearing i mean like really really hate it and there's no better solution out there than adaptive sync for now.

Behold the power of Chuck Norris the forbidden one.

Just now, Ya_Mi said:

RX 500 is just an improved version of RX 480 cause they use the same GPU.

If u want to wait. wait for VEGA instead.

For me i hate screen tearing i mean like really really hate it and there's no better solution out there than adaptive sync for now.

So what ur saying is that since its probably still gonna use Polaris, i should wait for vega or just get the 480?

Try and wait for a monitor with Freesync 2 and higher Hz then.

1 minute ago, NSDUO said:

vega

Vega will likely be competing with a GTX 1080, expect higher costs

3 minutes ago, Damascus said:

Vega will likely be competing with a GTX 1080, expect higher costs

Ok. I'm gonna be gaming at good old 1080p and I'm too poor to buy a 144 hz refresh rate monitor so I'm not gonna get any use out of vega. One of my friends has a 950 as his main gpu and my other friends old 750ti as his physx processor. If i were to wait i would be loaning his 750 ti. My other friend has a 960 superclocked. So they are fine with lower powered cards and i can play at ultra most times on their rigs and it looks fine about 40 fps. 

Plus it looks good :P

da652e38aeb6148f3ed41b190e2e90fd.1600.jpg

1 minute ago, Damascus said:

Get an RX 480 and this monitor - 144Hz and free-sync for only $200.  An RX 480 will drive a decent amount of games at high FPS, think cs:go and overwatch.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/FZJkcf/acer-xf240h-240-144hz-monitor-umfx0aa001

Nah i personally cant tell a difference between 30 fps to 60 fps to 144 fps. And yes i have used a 144 hz monitor. At that price i can get 1440p. 

2 minutes ago, Damascus said:

If $200 is too much you can get 75Hz and Freesync (only 21") for $120

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/hqmxFT/aoc-monitor-g2260vwq6

Just now, NSDUO said:

Nah i personally cant tell a difference between 30 fps to 60 fps to 144 fps. And yes i have used a 144 hz monitor. At that price i can get 1440p. 

Kewl, I'd go with the 75Hz in that case. :P You get Free-sync and its actually quite nice

2 minutes ago, Damascus said:

If $200 is too much you can get 75Hz and Freesync (only 21") for $120

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/hqmxFT/aoc-monitor-g2260vwq6

The monitors i like are $100 for 22 inch 1080p 60 hz no freesync no speakers. $130 for 24 inch 60 hz no freesync no speakers. $140 for 24 inch 75 hz freesync and speakers but the displayport cable isnt included so thats another $5.

Just now, NSDUO said:

$100 for 22 inch 1080p 60 hz no freesync

Lol, I'd go with the $145 option or the one I linked

4 minutes ago, Damascus said:

Kewl, I'd go with the 75Hz in that case. :P You get Free-sync and its actually quite nice

Ok

Just now, NSDUO said:

So what ur saying is that since its probably still gonna use Polaris, i should wait for vega or just get the 480?

Buy rx 480 now and live to tell the tale.

Get the 8Gb version for future proofing and avoid Power cooler gpu for Rx 400 series.

The best one so far is Gaming X from msi,Strix from asus,and GTR from XFX. the Roaring turbo From HIS also good too.

Behold the power of Chuck Norris the forbidden one.