Windows 7 won't boot on new motherboard

Zes
Go to solution Solved by LogicalDrm,

Windows needs to be reinstalled.

Win7 and Gigabytes mobos don't play well with change of mobo.

Specs First : 

Mobo : Gigabyte GA-970-Gaming (Rev 1.1)

CPU : FX-8320 @ stock values (stock cooling)

GPU : VaporX R9 270x

Storage : HDD WD Caviar Blue 1TB

PSU : Topower TOP-700W

Ram : HyperX 2x4GB (don't remember the frequency or timings)

So, I'm a little puzzled by this one, maybe I'm missing something.

My friend's previous motherboard died and he bought a new one (the one in the specs).

We start up the system and everything looks great until W7's "Starting windows..." screen (the one with the four lights), before the lights get to touch each other the system reboots itself, no BSOD.

I went to the bios setup and everything looks fine, CPU temp ranges between 45 - 50°C, we went with default values and it keeps happening.

Now, I tried with my own CPU (FX-8120), HDD (WD 1TB Caviar Black, also Win7) and PSU (Thermaltake Purepower 700W) and it keeps happening. I've still to try with my own GPU though (GTX 760), I'll come back with those results later.

My bet is on the motherboard which is in fact brand new but I wanted to check with all of you if I'm missing something.

Please let me know if more information is needed, I'll be checking back every now and then.

can you try using that windows installation and booting it up on your computer?

if it boops up correctly, then its the motherboard's fault

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

or you can try booting up on a USB, a windows installation or Ubuntu live for instance

Bow down to me humans.

I can't help if you don't quote me. How am I supposed to know if you need my premium support? Now starting at £399.99 a year.

Also, be a sport and mark the correct answer as the correct answer. It will help pour souls in the future when they are stuck and need guidance.

"If it works, proceed to take it apart and 'make it work better.' Then cry for help when it breaks." - Me, about five minutes ago when my train of thought wandered.

Remember kids, A janky solution is still a solution.

If he's are using the same Windows installation, it could be a driver issue. Try loading Windows in safe mode, or using some recovery media.

Both mine and my friend's hdd boot up just fine on my system, it also boots fine on a USB Win7 install drive I have. I have one HDD with Ubuntu installed, haven't tried that one yet.

Just now, SpaceGhostC2C said:

If he's are using the same Windows installation, it could be a driver issue. Try loading Windows in safe mode, or using some recovery media.

Safe mode won't work, it shows the files windows is loading and then restarts the same way. Startup Repair doesn't do anything either. I haven't tried with any OS other than Windows 7 from three different drives, but I'm sure they were all different installations.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

35 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

I was about to have a go with a clean W10 installation. I'll let you know if that works out.

By the way, huge thanks to everyone who took the time to help me out!

Well it appears it's as @LoGiCalDrm said. I tried with a different fresh W7 install and that didn't work, but it's working fine with the W10 one, so go figure.

Thank you all for your support! You've all been real helpful!

1 hour ago, Zes said:

Well it appears it's as @LoGiCalDrm said. I tried with a different fresh W7 install and that didn't work, but it's working fine with the W10 one, so go figure.

Thank you all for your support! You've all been real helpful!

Win10 is much better with mobo changes. I  personally have switched Gigabyte mobo with same chipset and still had to reinstall Win7.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv