New - X Question

K0MP4CT
Go to solution Solved by LogicalDrm,

All white people living in USA and Canada are immigrants. First from UK and France, later from other European countries. They felt like making America more like home with familiar names. New England, New Hampshire, New Orleans and, yes, New York. Same thing happened in Australia and New Zealand. Plus there are ton of cities without "New" in the name. Like Birmingham and Dover.

This may seem really obvious to some, but Google doesn't want to help. Obviously, Wales and England are places. So where have the names for "New England" and "New South Wales" come from? Are they just normal names? Or is there a reason behind the names being related to England and Wales? I hope this all makes sense.

Back in the good old days, when places on earths surface were yet to be charted and explored. Crazy drunkards would hop on sail boats and travel for hundreds of days trying to find new places to see, because they didn't have access to google images to see them in the comfort of their homes in front of their abacuses.

When finding new land, often these individuals would say "Hey, this place looks just like home, I am going to call it, "new home"". Then they would have a great piss-up, eat some foreign food that made them sick, suffer from scurvy, and head home to write a book or two about it.

1 hour ago, DrMikeNZ said:

Back in the good old days, when places on earths surface were yet to be charted and explored. Crazy drunkards would hop on sail boats and travel for hundreds of days trying to find new places to see, because they didn't have access to google images to see them in the comfort of their homes in front of their abacuses.

When finding new land, often these individuals would say "Hey, this place looks just like home, I am going to call it, "new home"". Then they would have a great piss-up, eat some foreign food that made them sick, suffer from scurvy, and head home to write a book or two about it.

I laughed more than I probably should have, but is that actually the reason? "Hey, this place looks just like home, I am going to call it, "new home". Is that essentially what happened? lol.

1 hour ago, K0MP4CT said:

I laughed more than I probably should have, but is that actually the reason? "Hey, this place looks just like home, I am going to call it, "new home". Is that essentially what happened? lol.

He not far off. That's basically what happened and why a lot of places have the same name or very similar names. 

Current Build

AMD Ryzen 2600

Stock cooler

Asus ROG B450f gaming Mobo

1tb SKHynix m.2

WD 1TB HDD

Asus ROG Strix RX 5700xt

Thermaltake Toughpower 650w DPS RGB 80+Gold

16 Gigs ddr4 3000 gskill ram

Phantek fans

Phanteks P400TG

Laptop

Eluktronics Prometheus XVII

Ryzen 7 5800h

32 gigs ddr4 Corsair ram

Nvidia rtx 3080 max-p

17.3 qhd 165 hrz screen

1tb Samsung m.2

1tb WD black m.2

1 hour ago, K0MP4CT said:

Well yes, it's a thing explorers and colonists did to both claim the land for their country and to be reminded of home.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

5 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Well yes, it's a thing explorers and colonists did to both claim the land for their country and to be reminded of home.

Don't worry. I'll make you a sandwich.

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900x @ 1.1v / Motherboard: Asus Prime X570-P / Ram: 32GB 3000Mhz 16-16-16-36 Team Vulcan (4x8GB) / Storage: 1x 1TB Lite-on EP2, 2x 128GB PM851 SSD, 3x 1TB WD Blues / Gpu: GTX Titan X (Pascal) / Case: Corsair 400c Carbide / Psu: Corsair RMi 750w / OS: Windows 10

Spoiler

I'm lonely, PM me to be my friend!

All white people living in USA and Canada are immigrants. First from UK and France, later from other European countries. They felt like making America more like home with familiar names. New England, New Hampshire, New Orleans and, yes, New York. Same thing happened in Australia and New Zealand. Plus there are ton of cities without "New" in the name. Like Birmingham and Dover.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

2 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Just remember that New York used to be New Amsterdam.

Current Build

AMD Ryzen 2600

Stock cooler

Asus ROG B450f gaming Mobo

1tb SKHynix m.2

WD 1TB HDD

Asus ROG Strix RX 5700xt

Thermaltake Toughpower 650w DPS RGB 80+Gold

16 Gigs ddr4 3000 gskill ram

Phantek fans

Phanteks P400TG

Laptop

Eluktronics Prometheus XVII

Ryzen 7 5800h

32 gigs ddr4 Corsair ram

Nvidia rtx 3080 max-p

17.3 qhd 165 hrz screen

1tb Samsung m.2

1tb WD black m.2

1 minute ago, Zusafek said:

Just remember that New York used to be New Amsterdam.

Well, doesn't matter that much after which city its named after. Fact remains.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv