Cheapish soundcard vs Onboard Audio

targaryen
Go to solution Solved by ShearMe,

Get a FiiO E10 - it'll bypass the problems with your onboard, and wont have the problems soundcards are prone to.

Hey guys,

I got a small problem with the sound on my system. I'm currently using the onboard audio of the Gigabyte GA-Z87-D3HP.
When I have my headphones on(I use them around 90% of the time) I can hear a constant buzzing sound. I used to have them connected on the front IO ports, but when I moved it to the rear IO the buzzing was reduced to almost not there. ALMOST though. It's a little annoying.
I was wondering, is it normal, is it fixable? If I use a cheapish sound card(CREATIVE SOUND BLASTER 7.1 AUDIGY SE or ASUS XONAR DG) will I get rid of the buzzing? I know I will not get better sound quality with a card like this, I just want the buzzing to go away.
Oh, my headphones work just fine on my ps3, no buzzing at all, in case you're wondering.

Thanks guys. Can't wait to read your thoughts.

it will get rid of the buzzing, but it is a mobo isseu so maybe try to RMA it?

ITX Monster: CPU: I5 4690K GPU: MSI 970 4G Mobo: Asus Formula VI Impact RAM: Kingston 8 GB 1600MHz PSU: Corsair RM 650 SSD: Crucial MX100 512 GB HDD: laptop drive 1TB Keyboard: logitech G710+ Mouse: Steelseries Rival Monitor: LG IPS 23" Case: Corsair 250D Cooling: H100i

Mobile: Phone: Broken HTC One (M7) Totaly Broken OnePlus ONE Samsung S6 32GB  :wub:  Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013 edition

Before anything, how do you have your volume sliders set when you play music or w/e?

Error: 410

It's common in a lot of motherboards. Improper shielding + bad design allows static noise to go though the audio.

Soundcard will solve the problem in this case. Another way is putting a resistance on the output and then connecting to an amp.

Two revolutionary dance tones

it will get rid of the buzzing, but it is a mobo isseu so maybe try to RMA it?

not necessarily,  it could easily just be a dodgy earth connection between either the mobo and the case or the PSU and the case or both. 

Buzzing due to dodgy earth has become more common in recent times due to the changes in case's and PSU's. once upon a time, the back of the case, mobo tray and PSU used to all be bare metal, so when all screwed together there was a good earth connection between all three. Nowadays the PSU has a pretty paint or plasticote. the back of the case is anodized or coated and the mobo spacers are plastic so the potential for a poor connection is huge.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

It's common in a lot of motherboards. Improper shielding + bad design allows static noise to go though the audio.

Soundcard will solve the problem in this case. Another way is putting a resistance on the output and then connecting to an amp.

They are not designed badly, most on-board is better than any sound card on the market.

OP, you'll eventually have the same problem with a sound card. Get an external solution, any Chinese/fiio product will do.

They are not designed badly, most on-board is better than any sound card on the market.

OP, you'll eventually have the same problem with a sound card. Get an external solution, any Chinese/fiio product will do.

I'm not talking about the performance of codec itself. Even the best codec out there can sound terrible in a poorly designed circuit.

On-board is prone to noise and that is why some of the newer, premium mobos are physically separating audio circuits from the rest.

The best solution will be external dac/amp but OP asked whether soundcards will reduce the noise, so I answered it.

That said, I have seen the same problem with few external soundcards too when they are drived from USB power.

Two revolutionary dance tones

I say just get a sound card, I ditched my onboard sound awhile ago. I was having many undiagnosed problems with it, could never find the answers to the problems. I have the Creative Sound Blaster Z card and I am enjoying it and have not had the crazy driver problems I heard Creatives cards have. Will not be going back to onboard sound until I know it is on par with current sound cards. Just one other thing, a general rule of thumb is that your headphones are more expensive than your current headphones. Meaning make sure you have a quality pair of headphones to pair with your sound card, to get the best experience. Also the Creative Sound Blaster Z is currently on sale at Newegg for $65 with free shipping, if you choose to go this route. If you go this route make sure your doing it for the new experience with sound not just to fix a minor buzzing problem.

Get a FiiO E10 - it'll bypass the problems with your onboard, and wont have the problems soundcards are prone to.

Thank you all for your replies. Sorry i did not respond earlier, we had a power outage last night(hope my pc is ok :P). I think i will go with the FiiO E10. It just seems like the best solution to me. 

Thank you all again.

PS: I don't know who to choose for best answer. 3 of you guys suggested this...

Someone probably already mentioned this but just buy an e10, its external, well-priced and has an amp if you ever want to upgrade headphones. 

EDIT: IM TIRED BARHHHH glad you made your decision.

Current rig: i5 2500k & Gtx 560ti With Filco MJ1 TKL & Neutron Gtx 120gb SSD

This. Got an E10 after this guy suggested I get one. It has been working GREAT for me!

CPU: AMD 3950x Mobo: MSI B550 RAM: 32GB DDR4 GPU: Asus 3080 Strix PSU: Superflower Leadex 3 720w Case: BeQuiet 500DX

Storage: 2TB SSD + 4TB HDD Audio: SMSL 793ii -> HiFiman HE-400 + Mission MS-50 Speakers