What Video Card(s)

Eddie Current

Not trying to start a flame war, I really hope that we can have an adult conversation about the pros and cons of the top GPU's. I'm also looking for first hand experience rather than reviews!

Here is a look at what I plan on doing with my new GPU:

1. Adobe Audio/Video/Graphics

2. Gaming w/ up to 3 monitors.

Not looking for 4K and or 3 way, I might go 2 way if I find it to be beneficial.

Hit the Funny Button!    :D     The more you press it the funnier you get  :)

---------------------------------------------->

Projekt Wasserturm  Office/Game Room Remodel

I'm guessing that your 3 monitors are 1080p, if you use them simultaneously I HIGHLY recommenced nothing below a GTX1070 (the 1080 will suit you fine). If you play demanding titles try a 1070 sli, they have dropped in price since the 1080 TI was released.     

But SLI may not be beneficially for Adobe Audio/Video/Graphics, but a single more powerful card would work due to the fact it scales poorly with mulii-GPU setups. Linus did a video on this as well.

Yes I'm looking to do top of the line cards. I have run crossfire with 2 6970's and didn't see a big improvement back then. I don't mind spending money on two cards but only if the is a good benefit.

10 minutes ago, Steeve said:

But SLI may not be beneficially for Adobe Audio/Video/Graphics, but a single more powerful card would work due to the fact it scales poorly with mulii-GPU setups. Linus did a video on this as well.

So SLI or crossfire would not be a benefit to Audio/Video, but would in gaming. Would Audio/Video be hurt by SLI/Crossfire?

Prior to 1080 Ti I was contemplating a Titan due to the fact it was kinda of a good game card as well as a work card sort of a poor mans Quarto.

For optimised performance in both workloads you would be better off going for one top end card, than two lesser cards in SLI.

In my experience a 1080Ti has more than enough juice to game in 1440p across two monitors, and we can safely assume a Titan XP would have no issue either. While two 1080s in SLI might offer better price/performance in some games, there are too many discrepancies in the optimisation of games for SLI at the current point in time.

For 1080p across three monitors, a single 1080, or even a 1070 would likely handle it very well, and you will likely see little to no improvement in performance in the Adobe applications after this point, depending on your CPU.

TLDR: If you want to spend the money, you would benefit far more from a single 1080Ti or Titan XP than you would from an SLI configuration due to the poor optimisation of editing applications for SLI. If you don't plan on playing in 4k, a single 1080Ti or Titan XP will more than max out your monitor.

18 hours ago, Eddie Current said:

So SLI or crossfire would not be a benefit to Audio/Video, but would in gaming. Would Audio/Video be hurt by SLI/Crossfire?

Prior to 1080 Ti I was contemplating a Titan due to the fact it was kinda of a good game card as well as a work card sort of a poor mans Quarto.

SLI wont hurt it, but its just that you would get more performance out of a single card. I would say go for a GTX 1080 TI, if you need the fps you could use another in an SLI setup.(It wont hurt your video rendering or what ever you want to do)

Most video editing/encoding programs benefit from GPU acceleration, but most programs do not support multi GPU setups. But to be honest your render times should already be really quick(I only say this because I believe you have a pretty beefy CPU to go with those GPUs). If you have a lower end CPU you should look at buying a RYZEN CPU or a X99 CPU for your Video stuff.

My plan is that once I get my office/game room remodeled I will finish my water tower project which I will build and test my new system on before mounting it into a case. I'm glade to here that a single 1080 Ti  will suffice and by the time i get to order it, it will have matured.

On 3/26/2017 at 10:15 PM, Electronics Wizardy said:

Budget?

Amd don't really do any highend gpu's, if you spending more than 300USD nvidia is your only option

Does a gtx 1070 look good to you?

Budget, go big of go home :) I'm only going to do top tier on this build.

With those goals in mind, a good solid 1080ti will be your best bet for handling all you plan to throw at it, and it won't even flinch. :)

Midnight Rig - CPU: i7-7700K / Cooler: Corsair h100i V2 / Motherboard: AsRock Z270 Taichi / RAM: G.Skill TridentZ 3200Mhz / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 FTW2 / SSD: Crucial MX300 525GB / HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm / PSU: EVGA Supernova B2 750W