Leaked during leak test!! Help!

Hi All,

Background:

So I took my loop apart a few days ago to do some maintence to the system. It needed new thermal paste and a clean out. So I have drained and filled the loop multiple times now to flush it and even treated it to a blitz kit. To add the new thermal paste it ment that I had to take the motherboard and GPU's out of the system. I did this and then reinstalled them after they were serviced.

However after putting the GPU's back in and I didnt realise that the fitting between the GPU and the RAM block wasnt perfect. The fittings I have got have two o-ring on the inside and it was only covered by one on this bit of tube... So it wasnt fully sealed.

I then filled the system up and started the testing, it started leaking right away all over the left RAM slot and the motherboard. I stopped the pump right away and cleared the rest of the water up which a cloth didnt get. It was all over the topside of the motherboard.

NOTE: None of the PC components were plugged in during the leak test. Just the pumps.

What I have done so far:

1. I dried the motherboard off with cloth to get the remaining bits of water.
  2. I took the motherboard out and dried it fully with a small towel.
  3. I have taken the Asus Armour off the board and dipped that in Isoproplyn 99%
  4. I have taken the RAM out of the system. The motherboard is just the CPU, CPU block and nothing else now
  5. I have washed the entire motherboard in Isoproplyn 99%.
  6. I gave it a quick dry off with a heat gun (Low temperature).
  7. Will give it another 2 days to dry off further by a radiator.

What else can I do to ensure I haven't bricked the board?

5 minutes ago, the pokemon kid said:

What else can I do to ensure I haven't bricked the board?

Test it.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Thats pretty much all you can do. once your sure its dried just try and test it. 

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

it will be fine, ive had leaks with power on and it was fine, coolant is designed to be non-conductive, and if you filled with fresh you should be ok (it loses that affect over time

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

1 minute ago, stealth80 said:

it will be fine, ive had leaks with power on and it was fine, coolant is designed to be non-conductive, and if you filled with fresh you should be ok (it loses that affect over time

Ohhh, I forgot to mention. This was just normal water. I was leak testings and it was about the 10th fill and drain. 

if there was no leaks... then I was going to fill it with De-Ionised water and Biocide...

As long as nothing had power except the pump, you have nothing to worry about. Just make sure it is completely dry before you plug it in and you are fine. I have completely submerged a whole system minus the hard drive and DVD drive in water overnight and everything still works to this day. I hope you do not worry, because there is nothing to worry about.

2 hours ago, the pokemon kid said:

-SNIP-

Since you didn't have anything on during the leak test as long as it dries out it's unlikely to cause any problems but if you wanted to ensure all the water is displaced you can rinse the board with 99% isopropyl alcohol. 

2 hours ago, lexidobe said:

As long as nothing had power except the pump, you have nothing to worry about. Just make sure it is completely dry before you plug it in and you are fine. I have completely submerged a whole system minus the hard drive and DVD drive in water overnight and everything still works to this day. I hope you do not worry, because there is nothing to worry about.

1 hour ago, W-L said:

Since you didn't have anything on during the leak test as long as it dries out it's unlikely to cause any problems but if you wanted to ensure all the water is displaced you can rinse the board with 99% isopropyl alcohol. 

These messages are reassuring :D I have spilt water on my board before but not to this extend and I was proper worried! I have cleaned with alcohol this evening and going to leave it to try by the radiator for a couple of days until I give it a test...

Heck, Linus left his laptop in the rain 2 times while it was on with no harm done. You are fine.

Just finished my own loop today.

I had a lot of leaks and spills while filling the darn thing. Motherboard, PCIe slots, M.2 drives, all got a splashing or another.

Nothing besides the pump was powered at the time and it was only with coolant+distilled water, so I wasn't worried.

I just gave everything time to dry while I finished tightening the leaky connections and everything was fine.

---

On 26/03/2017 at 8:18 PM, lexidobe said:

Snip

On 26/03/2017 at 9:12 PM, W-L said:

Snip

On 27/03/2017 at 2:29 AM, PrimeSonic said:

Snip

Its alive! Its alive and not completely dead! :D

The only thing that is dead is my Aquaero 5LT... Its fried itself somehow... However just ordered a new one of those :)