54 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

Alright, sorry about the exclamation. Here's an overview without talking about the enthusiast chips and platforms (LGA 1366, 2011, 2011v3 with 4-10 core 'Core' chips and Xeons with far more cores).

• The 'Hundred' CPUs started production in 2009 (Ex.- Core i5 750, Core i7 860). They're the first generation of Intel 'Core i' processors. The generation is a collective reference to both Nehalem (which introduced the Core i5 and Core i7 processors) and Westmere (which later introduced the Core i3 processors, along with more i5s and i7s). They use the LGA775 socket. There were intel 'Core 2 Duo' and 'Core 2 Quad' CPUs before this, but they aren't counted as a generation.

• The '2000' CPUs launched in 2011. They're called 'Sandy Bridge', and are the second generation.
  • The '3000' CPUs launched in late 2011/2012. They're called 'Ivy Bridge', and are the third generation. They use the same LGA1155 socket as the 2000 'Sandy Bridge' series.

• The '4000' CPUs launched in 2013. They're called 'Haswell', and are the fourth generation.
  • The '5000' CPUs launched in 2014. They're called 'Broadwell', and are the fifth generation. They use the same LGA1150 socket as the 4000 'Haswell' series.

• The '6000' CPUs launched in 2015. They're called 'Skylake', and are the sixth generation.
  • The '7000' CPUs launched in 2017. They're called 'Kabylake', and are the Seventh Generation. They use the same LGA1151 socket as the 6000 'Skylake' series.

I stick to recommending the latest generation, although because of the bad integrated thermal compound on the Core i5 7600k and Core i7 7700k, I still recommend the Skylake 'K' chips unless people are down to delid.

I know that I'm just confused I mean I added GTX 1080 and added i7 but those 2nd gen i7s perform good not when compared to 6th or 7th but are good like 6th or 7th i5.

1 hour ago, Aereldor said:
  • The 'Hundred' CPUs started production in 2009 (Ex.- Core i5 750, Core i7 860). They're the first generation of Intel 'Core i' processors. The generation is a collective reference to both Nehalem (which introduced the Core i5 and Core i7 processors) and Westmere (which later introduced the Core i3 processors, along with more i5s and i7s). They use the LGA775 socket. There were intel 'Core 2 Duo' and 'Core 2 Quad' CPUs before this, but they aren't counted as a generation.

made a mistake there, they're LGA 1156, not 775.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

13 minutes ago, herman mcpootis said:

made a mistake there, they're LGA 1156, not 775.

Sorry. My bad. Fruedian after adding that line about Core 2 Duo/quad.

34 minutes ago, M.A.P said:

I know that I'm just confused I mean I added GTX 1080 and added i7 but those 2nd gen i7s perform good not when compared to 6th or 7th but are good like 6th or 7th i5.

Then you're not confused- you need a dunce hat. If you want to recommend a 6-year old processor, have some self-respect and recommend buying it used. A Core i7 6700 or 7700 will kick its ass, and you can get this processor for like $70 used.

They're five generations behind. If it makes sense to you to buy them at retail proces, you're broken somewhere.

Whatever you choice will be, buying a  fx-6300 wont be smart with ryzen 5 around the corner. if i was you i should wait for ryzen 5 benchmarks. personaly im always going for best performance per euro we dont know the performance of ryzen 5 yet but ryzen 7 was way better then intel already, atleast in workloads which can benefit from multiply cores.

In your post you said that you will use it mostly for video editing. in that case you will benefit from the extra 2 cores, tough you will probably have to handle in some fps in games.

in short.

If editing is your #1 priority go for ryzen 5.   *disclaimer, this isn't based at facts but in line with ryzen 7*

if games is your #1 priority go for intel.