Should I wait for different cooler on 780ti?

TheSportkid24
Go to solution Solved by GIJew,

Wait for the DCUII or Twin Frozr IV, they will look better with your build and they should be here soon.

(If you get the DCUII you'll get that lovely goey feeling you get when the majority of your parts are from the same brand)

I am going to be building a mini-itx gaming/video editing rig featuring the i7 4770k, Maximus VI Impact, and the GTX 780ti. I am pretty sure that the 780ti runs much cooler and quieter than something like the R9 290, but I still wonder... Since cooling is everything in small form factor builds, should I wait for companies such as EVGA, ASUS, or MSI to make their versions of the 780ti featuring the ACX Cooler, Direct CUII cooling, or Twin Frozr?

Thanks

Well the only reason to go for the reference is looks and W/C but since it's a MITX build I'd wait a bit.

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

Wait for the DCU2 from Asus, it will match better and cool better.

They have made versions of the 780ti with aftermarket coolers, they come out in a couple weeks.

12600k | MSI MEG S280 | SSUPD Meshilicious | Asus ROG STRIX Z690-I | Crucial 16GB 4800MHz CL38 | MSI Gaming 980Ti | CM V850 SFX | WD SN850 1TB, WD SN550 1TB 
Pi 4TB NAS | Asus VG27AQ, Asus PB278Q | Logitech G Pro X Superlight | Glorious G-HXL-STEALTH | Keychron K4 V2 | Sennheiser HD 599 w/ Fiio E10

The reference overclocks great. It is good looking, temperature is great but st the aftermarket coolers are the best for everything I would wait but you are just getting sth a little better

yes. i would wait.

either get the Asus DCu2 or the EVGA Classy/FTW/SC with ACX.

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

The reference might actually be better since it is mini-ITX. The blower design is supposed to blow air out of the case and not into the case like Windforce/DCUII/Twin Frozr. 

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

The reference might actually be better since it is mini-ITX. The blower design is supposed to blow air out of the case and not into the case like Windforce/DCUII/Twin Frozr. 

This.  If you're going with a small case that doesn't have amazing air flow you might be better off with the reference.  Same thing if you're going with SLI, I bought two cards and since I want to overclock them I went with reference coolers....if I had done aftermarket the bottom card would stay nice and cool but the top card would throttle and choke on all that heat even in a decent full tower case.

Small case, i'd recommend the reference blower card. It'll push the hot air out instead of around inside the case.

Research and Development at Digital Storm

Personal Website: www.DigitalNav.net

Wait for the DCUII or Twin Frozr IV, they will look better with your build and they should be here soon.

(If you get the DCUII you'll get that lovely goey feeling you get when the majority of your parts are from the same brand)

I'm the one who overclocks.

CPU: i5 2500k w/CM Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO OC'd@4.2GHz RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB  MOBO: Intel Burrage DP67BG GPU: MSI GTX770 Twin Frozr 2GB HDD: 2x Seagate 2TB Barracuda PSU: Gigabyte ODIN 550W

This.  If you're going with a small case that doesn't have amazing air flow you might be better off with the reference.  Same thing if you're going with SLI, I bought two cards and since I want to overclock them I went with reference coolers....if I had done aftermarket the bottom card would stay nice and cool but the top card would throttle and choke on all that heat even in a decent full tower case.

I'm going to be replacing the stock fans with 3 Noctua NF-S12A's (PWM Version) so I believe air flow will be pretty good

I would never buy a reference card since a non ref is only 20 bucks more now days