Logitech C920(?) causing POST hanging & USB Unrecognized Error.

wyattzx

Hey guys, I'm practically at my wit's end.

Over the past few months, I've been having trouble with POSTing issues. Sometimes at boot, my PC would hang during boot, specifically during POST. After, it would go into Windows as "normal" but would report an "Unrecognized USB Device" and it would tell me to reconnect it. Checking my Device Manager, it seemed that it was my webcam causing the issue. However, if I unplugged it, the device would "disconnect," Device Manager would refresh, and the Unrecognized Device would disappear. After reconnecting it however, the device would not be detected. 

Any time the PC hangs during POST, I either have to cycle the power on my PSU (shutting PC off normally does nothing) or unplug the webcam. Afterwards, the PC will boot fine, and will otherwise run completely normal.

Interestingly enough, this issue persisted into my new motherboard. I replaced my ASUS X99-A with an EVGA X99 FTW K and the issue was still present. Even after flashing the BIOS and changing / updating all of the USB drivers. 

I also completely uninstalled the webcam (as far as I know) and let Windows reinstall the device after plugging it back in. The device installed correctly, but upon a shutdown and power on, the issue returned. I unplugged it and tossed it in my storage.

Today, I received another C920 that is in like-new condition. Upon plugging it in, Windows chimed in with the same "Unrecognized Device" mantra, and the webcam wouldn't work. I uninstalled the device from Windows, re-plugged it and installed it again, and the webcam functioned "normally" until I shut down and powered on my PC, where it began to hang again. 

Honestly, I don't know what to do besides trying to nuke Windows. My only concern is that the POST occurs before Windows initialization, so I don't think it's Windows-related...

I am on Windows 10 Professional, and my hardware specs are in my signature. 

Help...

6 minutes ago, KeemoSabe said:

What happens if the webcam is not connected? 

Absolutely nothing different than traditional operation.

1 minute ago, NonaHexa said:

Absolutely nothing different than traditional operation.

I am sorry if I dont understand you correctly. If you do not have the webcam connected and use the mouse or other usb peripherals, it is working fine? Is that what you mean? 

14 minutes ago, KeemoSabe said:

I am sorry if I dont understand you correctly. If you do not have the webcam connected and use the mouse or other usb peripherals, it is working fine? Is that what you mean? 

As long as the webcam is unplugged, everything else works fine. Also, the webcam is the only thing that has issues. After the PC POSTs, it will report that there is an unrecognized device. It is the webcam. Every other device and such works fine.

2 minutes ago, NonaHexa said:

As long as the webcam is unplugged, everything else works fine. Also, the webcam is the only thing that has issues. After the PC POSTs, it will report that there is an unrecognized device. It is the webcam. Every other device and such works fine.

It could be grounded or just broken and you should get a new one or... try this step:

This method prevents your USB external drive from powering down.

1. Click the Start button, type power plan in the Search box, then click Choose a power plan.
  2. Next to your currently selected plan, click Change Plan Settings.
  3. Click Change advanced power settings.
  4. Click the box to expand USB Settings, then expand USB selective suspend settings.
  5. Click Plugged in, then click the drop down menu and select disabled.
  6. If you're using a laptop, click Battery, then click the drop down menu and select disabled.
  7. Click Apply, then click OK.

2 hours ago, KeemoSabe said:

It could be grounded or just broken and you should get a new one or... try this step:

This method prevents your USB external drive from powering down.

1. Click the Start button, type power plan in the Search box, then click Choose a power plan.
  2. Next to your currently selected plan, click Change Plan Settings.
  3. Click Change advanced power settings.
  4. Click the box to expand USB Settings, then expand USB selective suspend settings.
  5. Click Plugged in, then click the drop down menu and select disabled.
  6. If you're using a laptop, click Battery, then click the drop down menu and select disabled.
  7. Click Apply, then click OK.

As I said though, this is any USB port on my PC, with two different cameras and two different motherboards. I don't think it's a grounding / broken issue. I think it's USB / driver related.