Got an old pc with extra parts for free is any of this worth something?

Cantaloupeman
1 minute ago, aisle9 said:

Whoa, no no no, not what I meant. The 6350 is worth about $5, $10 if you're incredibly lucky. It's on par with the HD 5450, which is an ancient piece of garbage that's still made because people are stupid and pay $40 for a "graphics accelerator" that's less powerful than the integrated graphics on their damn CPU. What you have is an ancient used card in nice shape. It's only worth a few bucks, but because of what it is, it does have value.

Okay. And what do you think of the sound card then? Its 5.1. 

Just now, Cantaloupeman said:

Okay. And what do you think of the sound card then? Its 5.1. 

Sound cards are far from my area of expertise. I just know that if I find a PC with one in it, I usually end up pulling it out and throwing it away because it's filthy beyond repair.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

12 minutes ago, KeemoSabe said:

Build it and send a picture. 

IMG_3461.JPGIMG_3462.JPGIMG_3463.JPGIMG_3464.JPG

i dont have green rails for the hard drive so ive just kinda been sitting it inside the bay where its supposed to go. The hdd might even be destroyed. Its out of an old pc and we mightve hit it with a hammer. It doesnt look like it but that could be the case. But even without the hdd it shoukd turn on still right?

1 minute ago, Cantaloupeman said:

i dont have green rails for the hard drive so ive just kinda been sitting it inside the bay where its supposed to go. The hdd might even be destroyed. Its out of an old pc and we mightve hit it with a hammer. It doesnt look like it but that could be the case. But even without the hdd it shoukd turn on still right?

It should turn on even if you do not connect the HDD. Try using 1 stick of RAM and and switch slots until it boots to BIOS.

I mean display on the monitor. Because it turns on and the fans all turn etc. Psu fan seems very weak though so idk.

Just now, KeemoSabe said:

It should turn on even if you do not connect the HDD. Try using 1 stick of RAM and and switch slots until it boots to BIOS.

There are 3 sticks of ram in there. Two dell two samsung. But i took out the other samsung just before when i was taking pics. It still had the problem before i took the ram out though.

There are 3 sticks of ram in there. Two dell two samsung. But i took out the other samsung just before when i was taking pics. It still had the problem before i took the ram out though.

Try removing all of them and just use 1 stick of RAM. Switch it to other RAM slots until it boots 

3 minutes ago, KeemoSabe said:

Try removing all of them and just use 1 stick of RAM. Switch it to other RAM slots until it boots 

Alright ill try that tomorrow. Thanks for your help man!

18 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

Sound cards are far from my area of expertise. I just know that if I find a PC with one in it, I usually end up pulling it out and throwing it away because it's filthy beyond repair.

Thanks for your help as well! 

23 hours ago, KeemoSabe said:

Just now tried it and after first slot it made a weird beeping sound when i turned it off and then after a while it went away. Is that a bad psu?

23 hours ago, aisle9 said:

I just took out the ram and tried in a few slots and each time i started it up it made a beeping sound. Like 1.5 second long beeps repeated. Idk. Could this be a bad psu? The fan seems to be really weak. Idk. I still havent tried all the ram slots but im kinda scared to tbh.

On 3/20/2017 at 9:40 PM, aisle9 said:

Nevermind i unplugged and plugged in all the ram again. I got excited cuz it said dell on screen and booted but it said hdd not found so i went to get hdd and plugged it in and it wont boot again. I unplugged the hdd and it still wont boot again.

Nevermind i unplugged and plugged in all the ram again. I got excited cuz it said dell on screen and booted but it said hdd not found so i went to get hdd and plugged it in and it wont boot again. I unplugged the hdd and it still wont boot again.

Two short beeps now

5 minutes ago, Cantaloupeman said:

Two short beeps now

Now it booted cuz it was on wrong input on my monitor lol but it wont find my hdd. It says primary hard disk drive 1 not found. Did i just plug in the wrong cord to it?

What's the HDD Jumper pin set to on next to the IDE cable? I remember Maxtor being a weird combo...

Spoiler

MAXTOR_2B020H1.jpg

On 3/20/2017 at 8:54 PM, KeemoSabe said:

Don't do this.  It won't ever boot.  RAMBUS memory requires 2 sticks.

7 hours ago, Evanair said:

What's the HDD Jumper pin set to on next to the IDE cable? I remember Maxtor being a weird combo...

Reveal hidden contents

MAXTOR_2B020H1.jpg

Is the ide the cable I had plugged in the hdd?

Just sold 2x2 GB DDR2 RAM on ebay for 17 € in additon to an Intel core 2 quad Q8400 for another 21 €. Trying to sell a gt 240 from nvidia for 20 € so lets wait and see.

8 hours ago, Cantaloupeman said:

Is the ide the cable I had plugged in the hdd?

Mine was on cs enabledIMG_3472.JPG.760fb5056a618fff24a9facd2978cb83.JPG

On 3/20/2017 at 9:40 PM, aisle9 said:

So i finally got it to boot in bios and the hdd shows up but it wont boot from it.

1 hour ago, Cantaloupeman said:

So i finally got it to boot in bios and the hdd shows up but it wont boot from it.

Does it have an OS loaded?

7 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

Does it have an OS loaded?

I think it should have xp loaded but how to i load one on if there isnt one?

I think it should have xp loaded but how to i load one on if there isnt one?

If the PC has an optical drive, an installation disc would be the easiest way. You can also find ISOs of older versions of Windows, like XP, and mount them to a disc or USB for use as installation media.

Or you can be all cool and put a Linux distro on a USB drive and use that OS. :D

1 hour ago, aisle9 said:

If the PC has an optical drive, an installation disc would be the easiest way. You can also find ISOs of older versions of Windows, like XP, and mount them to a disc or USB for use as installation media.

Or you can be all cool and put a Linux distro on a USB drive and use that OS. :D

well i dont have a cd big enough to burn the iso onto can i use an old game disc i dont want anymore?

5 minutes ago, Cantaloupeman said:

well i dont have a cd big enough to burn the iso onto can i use an old game disc i dont want anymore?

Nope. Use a USB stick or a DVD.