ISP Salty at me for torrenting :/

Matthew12106

Right, so besides from the few services I do pay for I tend to torrent everything else. However, just recently I torrented a movie and got an email from SKY notifying me about it, in what seemed to be an educational email but seemed like a subtle warning for the future referencing the ‘Get it Right from a Genuine Site’ initiative. So yeah I'm aware millions of people torrent but I don't want to screw over the person who owns this broadband so what is the solution, I have thought of a few.

I heard something about using a VPN or Proxy of some sort can help is this true? If so can you link any free good ones? Wording in the email such as  "shared and uploaded" maybe leads me to think it's because I was seeding the movie perhaps is what triggered this? Any help is appreciated

Thanks

My Gaming Setup: CPU: AMD FX-8350  |  CoolingCooler Master Hyper 212 Evo   Motherboard: Asus M5A97 EVO R2.0   Ram: Corsair 16gb 1600mhz lp (2x8)   GPU: Msi Gtx 970 |  StorageSeagate Barracuda 1tb & Samsung 840 Evo 120gb   PSU: XFX 550w Core Edition   Case: Corsair 760t   OS: Windows 7 Professional 64 bit  

Peripherals: Keyboard: Corsair K70 Cherry Mx Brown   Mouse: Corsair M65 Black   Speakers: Microlab FC20 40w 2.1   Monitor: LG 29UM65 29" 2560x1080 IPS 5ms Ultra Wide

there are NO good free VPN's but thats what you need to avoid this.

i recommend this one

https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/pages/buy-vpn/?gclid=Cj0KEQjw-73GBRCC7KODl9zToJMBEiQAj1Jgf40C3RYK2TfU0xiPLKTLREx56Vr2VzLE0ceTUGUU7egaApa28P8HAQ

The solution to your problem is a VPN. get one. not for free though

CPU: I7 8700k @ 5ghz | Motherboard: Asus Z370-Prime | RAM: White Crucial balistix DDR4 2133mhz | GPU: GTX 1080TI | Storage: ssd HyperX 240gig, 2x2tb seagate Firecuda 1tb, BPX 480 gig nvme, 1tb sandisk ssd  | Cooling: Custom loop | PSU: Evga supernova 850w G2 | Case: Phanteks enthoo evolv atx black White modded | system theme: White/RGB/Weiss

Sucks, they are monitoring you hard time.

Now, yes it is true you can use a VPN to do the torrenting but seeing they are salty about torrenting enough to send you an Email about it, will they even allow a VPN is your next question. Somehow i feel they will visit you if you do. Sky what kind of lame-o service is that.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

9 minutes ago, Matthew12106 said:

Right, so besides from the few services I do pay for I tend to torrent everything else. However, just recently I torrented a movie and got an email from SKY notifying me about it, in what seemed to be an educational email but seemed like a subtle warning for the future referencing the ‘Get it Right from a Genuine Site’ initiative. So yeah I'm aware millions of people torrent but I don't want to screw over the person who owns this broadband so what is the solution, I have thought of a few.

I heard something about using a VPN or Proxy of some sort can help is this true? If so can you link any free good ones? Wording in the email such as  "shared and uploaded" maybe leads me to think it's because I was seeding the movie perhaps is what triggered this? Any help is appreciated

Thanks

SKY is UK-based right?

I'm not sure about the laws there, but Bell Canada sends my buddies emails about torrenting all the time. Thing is, they are legally obligated to, and won't do a thing about it if its a US company. They have no jurisdiction in Canada and therefore can only force Bell to send threatening emails.

Just a thought. I'd take a look at the laws in the UK.

i7 6700K @ Stock (Yes I know) ~~~ Corsair H80i GT ~~~ GIGABYTE G1 Gaming Z170X Gaming 7 ~~~ G. Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB DDR4-2800 ~~~ EVGA ACX 3.0 GTX 1080 SC @ 2GHz ~~~ EVGA P2 850W 80+ Platinum ~~~ Samsung 850 EVO 500GB ~~~ Crucial MX200 250GB ~~~ Crucial M500 240GB ~~~ Phanteks Enthoo Luxe

6 minutes ago, Leonard said:

Sucks, they are monitoring you hard time.

Now, yes it is true you can use a VPN to do the torrenting but seeing they are salty about torrenting enough to send you an Email about it, will they even allow a VPN is your next question. Somehow i feel they will visit you if you do. Sky what kind of lame-o service is that.

in the USA VPNs are still legal and ISPs cant do anything about them, although i see that quickly changing.

CPU: I7 8700k @ 5ghz | Motherboard: Asus Z370-Prime | RAM: White Crucial balistix DDR4 2133mhz | GPU: GTX 1080TI | Storage: ssd HyperX 240gig, 2x2tb seagate Firecuda 1tb, BPX 480 gig nvme, 1tb sandisk ssd  | Cooling: Custom loop | PSU: Evga supernova 850w G2 | Case: Phanteks enthoo evolv atx black White modded | system theme: White/RGB/Weiss

I am in the states and I HIGHLY recommend privateinternetaccess's VPN service. I have received similar letters in the past, but with my VPN on always I have been free and clear. The price is very reasonable as well, it is under 50 bucks a year or you can pay something like 6 bucks a month.

27 minutes ago, Matthew12106 said:

Thanks

I guess ill be waiting for my letter then :P (i have sky internet) and just torrented a a bunch of films, been with sky in the past enver had any letters whatsoever

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

look at jayztwocents VPN video

hello!

is it me you're looking for?

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Desktop: X99-PC

CPU: i7 5820k

Mobo: X99 Deluxe

Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 3

RAM: 32GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1080

Storage: 1TB 850 Evo, 1TB HDD, bunch of external hard drives
PSU: EVGA G2 750w

Peripherals: Logitech G502, Ducky One 711

Audio: Xonar U7, O2 amplifier (RIP), HD6XX

Monitors: 4k 24" Dell monitor, 1080p 24" Asus monitor

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

Fully maxed out early 2017 Dell XPS 15, GTX 1050 4GB, 7700HQ, 1TB nvme SSD, 32GB RAM, 4k display. 97Whr battery :x 
Dell was having a $600 off sale for the fully specced out model, so I decided to get it :P

-Crapbook

Fully specced out early 2013 Macbook "pro" with gt 650m and constant 105c temperature on the CPU (GPU is 80-90C) when doing anything intensive...

A 2013 laptop with a regular sized battery still has better battery life than a 2017 laptop with a massive battery! I think this is a testament to apple's ability at making laptops, or maybe how little CPU technology has improved even 4+ years later (at least, until the recent introduction of 15W 4 core CPUs). Anyway, I'm never going to get a 35W CPU laptop again unless battery technology becomes ~5x better than as it is in 2018.

Apple knows how to make proper consumer-grade laptops (they don't know how to make pro laptops though). I guess this mostly software power efficiency related, but getting a mac makes perfect sense if you want a portable/powerful laptop that can do anything you want it to with great battery life.

1 hour ago, thorbrantly101 said:

there are NO good free VPN's but thats what you need to avoid this.

i recommend this one

https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/pages/buy-vpn/?gclid=Cj0KEQjw-73GBRCC7KODl9zToJMBEiQAj1Jgf40C3RYK2TfU0xiPLKTLREx56Vr2VzLE0ceTUGUU7egaApa28P8HAQ

The solution to your problem is a VPN. get one. not for free though

59 minutes ago, lieder1987 said:

I am in the states and I HIGHLY recommend privateinternetaccess's VPN service. I have received similar letters in the past, but with my VPN on always I have been free and clear. The price is very reasonable as well, it is under 50 bucks a year or you can pay something like 6 bucks a month.

Alright seems like the consensus is this one, I'll check it out. 

Thanks very much lads 

My Gaming Setup: CPU: AMD FX-8350  |  CoolingCooler Master Hyper 212 Evo   Motherboard: Asus M5A97 EVO R2.0   Ram: Corsair 16gb 1600mhz lp (2x8)   GPU: Msi Gtx 970 |  StorageSeagate Barracuda 1tb & Samsung 840 Evo 120gb   PSU: XFX 550w Core Edition   Case: Corsair 760t   OS: Windows 7 Professional 64 bit  

Peripherals: Keyboard: Corsair K70 Cherry Mx Brown   Mouse: Corsair M65 Black   Speakers: Microlab FC20 40w 2.1   Monitor: LG 29UM65 29" 2560x1080 IPS 5ms Ultra Wide