Tizen, Which is Samsungs and Intels new OS has 36 more backers.

geforceftw

This will be very interesting since samsung owns majority of the android market and exiting will leave quite a hole for google.

android has way to big of an install base to be easily taken out. i think the only way this could take off is if enthusiats MUCH rather prefer this. i mean like this blows android out of the water. which to me sounds pretty hard to do 

This will be very interesting since samsung owns majority of the android market and exiting will leave quite a hole for google.

but they wont switch overnight. they will have to continue to do some android phones even when this is released i think.

Even though i don't like the idea of fragmenting the market, competition is a good thing. Especially with Android starting to get more locked down.

AMD FX-8350 @ 4.7Ghz when gaming | MSI 990FXA-GD80 v2 | Swiftech H220 | Sapphire Radeon HD 7950  +  XFX Radeon 7950 | 8 Gigs of Crucial Ballistix Tracers | 140 GB Raptor X | 1 TB WD Blue | 250 GB Samsung Pro SSD | 120 GB Samsung SSD | 750 Watt Antec HCG PSU | Corsair C70 Mil Green

android has way to big of an install base to be easily taken out. i think the only way this could take off is if enthusiats MUCH rather prefer this. i mean like this blows android out of the water. which to me sounds pretty hard to do 

All that matters is which OS is better. I have absolutely no problems with getting something else for my next phone.

All that matters is which OS is better. I have absolutely no problems with getting something else for my next phone.

but what people perceive as better is the problem. if its some like insane battery saving OS with android power and flexibility. sure ill change. but android has been built for so long. even if samsung and intel are teaming up i doubt they could dethrone it without ti being out for at leasty 5 years

but what people perceive as better is the problem. if its some like insane battery saving OS with android power and flexibility. sure ill change. but android has been built for so long. even if samsung and intel are teaming up i doubt they could dethrone it without ti being out for at leasty 5 years

And why exactly is that a problem? Who cares about "dethroning" android?

And why exactly is that a problem? Who cares about "dethroning" android?

there is no problem......

just saying they wont come out of the gate with something that is just plainly better than android unless they have been developing this thing for 10 years in secret trying to perfect the formula xD

just saying they wont come out of the gate with something that is just plainly better than android unless they have been developing this thing for 10 years in secret trying to perfect the formula xD

That makes absolutely no sense. What exactly is preventing it from being better than android? Android isn't that great even if it's the best we currently have.

I beg to differ, apple did it with the iphone, and even then it had/has legitimate arguments about being better or not.  Blackberry did it, HP/htc did it with win ce when palm had the market.

Companies will release what they will, they will all try to make the biggest and the best as they always have, but at the end of the day it is successful  marketing and consumers uptake that will dictate what is "best"

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I beg to differ, apple did it with the iphone, and even then it had/has legitimate arguments about being better or not.  Blackberry did it, HP/htc did it with win ce when palm had the market.

Companies will release what they will, they will all try to make the biggest and the best as they always have, but at the end of the day it is successful  marketing and consumers uptake that will dictate what is "best"

the iphone came out before android.... it was a revolutionary step in phones. there was no real competition for it either android came out little over a year after the first iphone

the iphone came out before android.... it was a revolutionary step in phones. there was no real competition for it either android came out little over a year after the first iphone

So your happy to say that iphone was a revolutionary step in phones but no one else can do it unless they invest 10 years into it?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

So your happy to say that iphone was a revolutionary step in phones but no one else can do it unless they invest 10 years into it?

yea iphone was a revolutionary step from your typican flip phone. its going to be alot harder this time around because now they actually have competition in this field. whereas the iphone didnt. now this new OS has to take on android ios and to a much lesser extent windows mobile os

yea iphone was a revolutionary step from your typican flip phone. its going to be alot harder this time around because now they actually have competition in this field. whereas the iphone didnt. now this new OS has to take on android ios and to a much lesser extent windows mobile os

ios was always in competition, the Nokia n95 had a similar feel, and android was only released 4 months later, they were both in competition with each other, although since android has been in the making since 2003 you could argue that iphone already had competition just not public released. I don't think it's going to be hard at all for the no. one handset manufacture and the no, processor company to release a new os that will do well.

And? You seem to think that an operating system is only viable if it has the biggest market share and somehow that is related to how much time it has been in development. That simply does not make any sense.