ASUS G75VX(NON-SSD and NON-3D Version)

iceballfunela

Hey guys, I had some spare time so I thought I would do a quick review of my G75 which I have been using for about 11 months now and I know that the G750 has been released a few months back but I don't care :P.

First of I would want to start off with the performance of the G75VX. Just a little note, I OCed my GPU to 736MHZ from the default 601MHZ so performance may differ. The most GPU intensive game I have now is Bioshock Infinite(Great game, buy it). When I crank up the settings to ultra preset, I get around 40-50 FPS with everything cranked up at 1080p. Another game I tested was Minecraft. I know what you are thinking, but I used SEUS Ultra Motion blur at 1080p with normal render distance and I get around 30-40ish FPS which is meh. The last game I'll test is Battlefield 3. I played the single player missions at 1080p and Ultra preset and I get around a pretty terrible 20-25 FPS. I say that if you want to play at the native 1080p, you may need to crank the settings down a little, but otherwise its performs pretty well.

Next is battery life. I'll just cut to the chase. Its below average. When I watch a few YouTube videos with some regular web browsing. I get at most 1.5 hrs of battery time. Which is very terrible since I set it to battery saving, lowest display brightness and no keyboard backlight. There's a reason though. ASUS had to disable the iGPU in the CPU because the G75 has models that has displays that was 3d ready and Nvidia optimus does not support 3d, so they had to disable the iGPU and permanently use the 670MX. So, even though it has an impressive 8-cell battery, its battery really sucks so this will be a laptop that will need to be pluged in all the time.

Next is the design of the G75. The design of the G75 is pretty nice and has a stealth aircraft inspired look and is pretty stylish imo. The keyboard is angled at 4.428 degrees so that your hands won't be very strained from long use of the keyboard and it really helps. Other than that theres not much more I guess.

The backlight of the keyboard is not the brightest in the world and has only 1 colour but it works well and its better imho to the vomit of colours on the M17x.

The temps of the G75 is alright. It doesn't get too hot but it isn't cool at all. When I am browsing the web and doing basic stuff, the temps at at around 50-60 degrees on the CPU and GPU while the HDD stays at 35 degrees. When on load, the CPU and GPU goes to around 75-85 degrees while the HDD stays at around 40 degrees which isn't too bad. When on load the 2 fans are somewhat loud if you are not using headphones but if you use headphones, its practically silent.

I guess that it, I apologise for the sloppy review here, its 3:40 am and I can't get any sleep now.. overall the G75 is a pretty solid machine even if you are buying a used or refurbished one at this point in time.

ASUS ROG G75VX

Intel i7-3630QM 2.4GHz/3.4GHz Turbo | Nvidia GeForce 670MX 3GB OCed to 736MHz | 750GB HDD | Windows 8.1 | 24 GB 1600MHz RAM | Razer Goliathus Medium | Logitech G400s | Razer Kraken/ JBL J22 | Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX blue