Monitor Losing Signal Intermittently on 780

Centurius

Hey All,

So for the past few weeks I have been having a weird issue every now and then where my screen will go black and completely lose signal for a few seconds on my GTX 780. I have managed to rule out both the monitor and cable themselves by trying them out on the iGPU which works just fine. 

There doesn't really seem to be a pattern as it will happen independent of workload or any specific time. To illustrate, I played the Mass Effect Andromeda demo for about 6 hours at once yesterday and had 0 issues while earlier this afternoon it happened when just watching a show in Plex. This also leads me to believe it isn't PSU related(I had that issue before but then the GPU only turned black on high load and the system shut down entirely). I'm running the 378.78 driver right now but it also happened before that one so it seems unlikely it's a driver related error.

If any of you have any ideas what might be causing this and if it's fixable I'd love to know. Otherwise even though the problem is incredibly hard to reproduce I may rma it just to be sure as the 3-year warranty on the GPU ends a month from now. 

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

6 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Have you (or rather, can you) tested if the issue occurs using another monitor with your 780? 

Forgot to mention it in the OP, but yes I've tried it using my gf's monitor. It didn't happen there though it is possible I didn't leave it on long enough(there was nearly 24 hours between the last two events whereas I tried the other monitor for 12 hours).

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

Just now, Centurius said:

Forgot to mention it in the OP, but yes I've tried it using my gf's monitor. It didn't happen there though it is possible I didn't leave it on long enough(there was nearly 24 hours between the last two events whereas I tried the other monitor for 12 hours).

Hmm.

I mean I guess it wouldn't kill to give it one other go. Might just be something with your GPU and current monitor, though.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

At idle, does your card actually idle? What os?

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

6 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Hmm.

I mean I guess it wouldn't kill to give it one other go. Might just be something with your GPU and current monitor, though.

Thanks, I'll do that.

1 minute ago, Mick Naughty said:

At idle, does your card actually idle? What os?

Yeah, it clocks down to 324Mhz and about 39 celsius. Windows 10 Education 64 Bit

My Build:

Spoiler