Delid first, or upgrade AIO?

I have a i7 7700k at a mild 4.7ghz. I use my PC for gaming and streaming. I currently have a Kraken X42 (the small one) AIO cooler, because I used to have a i5 6500 in a Mini-ATX build and reused the Kraken when I upgraded to my current setup. I'm hitting upwards of 70c during streaming with the fans cranked up. It can get pretty loud. I'm wondering if I should upgrade to a larger AIO cooler, or simply delid to lower temps. When answering keep in mind that I don't care about ultimate overclocking performance, I'm happy with my 4.7ghz. I simply would like to keep temps lower.

70C is nowhere near dangerous, you still have some 15C of room to tune the fan to be quieter, or to overclock the 7700K.

As for your choice, delidding will most likely yield a bigger temp drop. On the other hand it's risky (though the risk is way smaller if you use a tool like the DelidDie Mate).

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

Upgrade to an dual rad, 240 or 280. De liding is very risky and wont give you that much improvement

I make Rainmeter things and other art :D

Bigger cooler over de-lidding all day long.  De-lidding gives varied results and will void your warranty.......and may brick your CPU if not careful.  Upgrading the cooler is a much safer and better option.  An NZXT X62 Kraken or Corsair h115i will give you tons of cooling to keep that baby rocking.

Midnight Rig - CPU: i7-7700K / Cooler: Corsair h100i V2 / Motherboard: AsRock Z270 Taichi / RAM: G.Skill TridentZ 3200Mhz / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 FTW2 / SSD: Crucial MX300 525GB / HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm / PSU: EVGA Supernova B2 750W