Why is shipping SO DAMN EXPENSIVE?

iamdarkyoshi

Yeah that blows. But consider that paying $80 for a $1000 laptop is pretty reasonable. They can't base the cost of shipping on the cost of the item.

So I'd suggest trying to buy local (as hard as that can be in some areas :/) for cheap laptops and stuff.

My (first) build: i7 4790k | Noctua NH-U14S + NF-A15 | Gigabyte Z97X-SLI | G.Skill Ripjaws X 2x4GB 2133MHz CL9 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB | Seagate 2TB SSHD | 2x MSI R9 270X TwinFrozr crossfire | Seasonic G Series 750W 80+ Gold | Asus VX238H 23" | GAMDIAS HERMES | Logitech G602 | Steelseries QcK | Windows 8.1

29 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Why is it going to cost me 80$ to get a laptop I paid 50$ for to australia? How can big companies make ANY profit if it costs so damn much for singular items?

The problem is simple.  Logistics.  You have to factor in the different modes of transportation needed.  For example.  You purchased from here in the US and its being sent to Australia.  The first logistic is where its starting from.  Lets make it simple and say Miami FL.  Well from there its put into a truck which needs to be paid X amount for fuel.  Then it arrives at the airport for its flight over seas.  Now you have customs and handling there so a few more bucks slip away.  Then on the plane itself you need to pay the pilot as well as fuel costs and maintenance.  So a few more bucks disappear.  Now it arrives in Australia.  From there more people are touching it and putting it on another truck to another facility to get it to the correct truck for delivery.  So its passing multiple hands....and all of them need to be paid for there services to get you your package.

Welcome to Logistics.  It sucks but is necessary. 

Edit:  And to add in.  On 80 USD shipping from lets say FedEx they are going to make approximately 20 USD at the end.  

Current Build

AMD Ryzen 2600

Stock cooler

Asus ROG B450f gaming Mobo

1tb SKHynix m.2

WD 1TB HDD

Asus ROG Strix RX 5700xt

Thermaltake Toughpower 650w DPS RGB 80+Gold

16 Gigs ddr4 3000 gskill ram

Phantek fans

Phanteks P400TG

Laptop

Eluktronics Prometheus XVII

Ryzen 7 5800h

32 gigs ddr4 Corsair ram

Nvidia rtx 3080 max-p

17.3 qhd 165 hrz screen

1tb Samsung m.2

1tb WD black m.2

1 minute ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Apparently USPS doesn't make you pay them unless its worth over like 1K

The shipping charges alone prevents me to have a gaming rig, let alone taxes by customs imposed upon claiming. Not to mention, a desktop processor isn't that heavy. IMG_5277.PNG

?????

IMG_5278.PNG

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

Just now, hey_yo_ said:

The shipping charges alone prevents me to have a gaming rig, let alone taxes by customs imposed upon claiming. Not to mention, a desktop processor isn't that heavy. 

?????

Holy hell how do you stand existing?

5 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Holy hell how do you stand existing?

Suck it to crappy pre built PCs that uses the stock cooler and slow mechanical hard drives. I can find high end items on brick and mortar stores like an i7-6700k and a GTX 1070 but they'll cost way too much. Retail stores are basically recovering the money they spent importing those parts. In fact, a Samsung 850 Pro 512 GB would cost around USD 500 once it arrives here. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

1 hour ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Why is it going to cost me 80$ to get a laptop I paid 50$ for to australia? How can big companies make ANY profit if it costs so damn much for singular items?

Did you know the shipping cost prior to purchase?

If so then you chose to click on the buy button, you probably could have gotten a better laptop for $130 or $150 in Australia. Do you live in the outback or in a metropolitan area like Brisbane?

I once paid more for shipping then the item cost, I cant remember if I did it on purpose because I wanted the exact model transformer or I didnt realize what shipping would cost and just assumed it was going to be $10 instead of $25. Other items I have boughten had high shipping costs, like HobbyKing.com and some merchants in China, but those items were heavy and large.