DIY PSU Cover?

Would it be possible for me to make a PSU cover/Basement thingy for my Corsair Spec-01, and have a cutout for where the wires go? I just don't know if it is possible cause A: Idk what material to do it with and B: that material would have to conduct 0 electricity since it would be touching my MOBO, any input?

1 minute ago, Abyss Gaming said:

Would it be possible for me to make a PSU cover for my Corsair Spec-01, and have a cutout for where the wires go? I just don't know if it is possible cause A: Idk what material to do it with and B: that material would have to conduct 0 electricity since it would be touching my MOBO, any input?

It wouldn't be too hard to make one, a good material of choice is acrylic, you wouldn't have to worry about shorting anything and it's easy to cut and paint if needed. I have a general guide here with some examples if your interested:

-Moved to Modding Section- 

Just now, W-L said:

It wouldn't be too hard to make one, a good material of choice is acrylic, you wouldn't have to worry about shorting anything and it's easy to cut and paint if needed. I have a general guide here with some examples if your interested:

-Moved to Modding Section- 

Thanks! And I meant to put it in the modding section I'm just too tired I didn't notice xD

You SHOULD use conductive material somewhere. You should use the stock mounting points for the PCB, and if there is a ground wire, connect it to the casing.

As long as you use your ground wire, you can use most materials me thinks. From plexy glass, to real glass. From metal to aluminum, from a zip-tie web to wood.

8 minutes ago, Dutch-stoner said:

You SHOULD use conductive material somewhere. You should use the stock mounting points for the PCB, and if there is a ground wire, connect it to the casing.

As long as you use your ground wire, you can use most materials me thinks. From plexy glass, to real glass. From metal to aluminum, from a zip-tie web to wood.

But do I HAVE to use conductive...? Trying to keep it as cheap as possible and was thinking of this http://www.homedepot.com/p/OPTIX-18-in-x-24-in-x-0-093-in-Clear-Acrylic-Sheet-Glass-Replacement-MC-05/202038047

I built one from a sheet of acrylic a while back. It's probably the best material to use as it's fairly easy to work with and will bend under heat. Best not to use too thick a piece though or it will be tough to bend. 

Acrylic is the material, but it's often called plexiglas or perspex (brand names)

Just now, Abyss Gaming said:

But do I HAVE to use conductive...?

You should take a look inside the PSU you want to use. Check what kind of ground wires are being used. Are the PCB mounting points connected to the ground wire for example. (maybe by using the conductive casing)

Just now, Dutch-stoner said:

You should take a look inside the PSU you want to use. Check what kind of ground wires are being used. Are the PCB mounting points connected to the ground wire for example. (maybe by using the conductive casing)

No clue wtf you are talking about xD

2 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

I built one from a sheet of acrylic a while back. It's probably the best material to use as it's fairly easy to work with and will bend under heat. Best not to use too thick a piece though or it will be tough to bend. 

Acrylic is the material, but it's often called plexiglas or perspex (brand names)

http://www.homedepot.com/p/OPTIX-11-in-x-14-in-x-093-in-Acrylic-Sheet-MC-27/202090111

Is that a good one to use? Also I wasn't even thinking of putting leds in, you inspired me xD

2 minutes ago, Abyss Gaming said:

But do I HAVE to use conductive...? Trying to keep it as cheap as possible and was thinking of this http://www.homedepot.com/p/OPTIX-18-in-x-24-in-x-0-093-in-Clear-Acrylic-Sheet-Glass-Replacement-MC-05/202038047

It's fine being inside the case as long as it's securely fastened, it doesn't need to be conductive at all. The PSU being mounted to the case in itself will ground the chassis, and the components themselves are grounded through their connections as it's DC. 

If anyone here would like to be tagged when its done just thumbs up this comment, might take a while though as I dont have much time to work with @W-L @Dutch-stoner @Oshino Shinobu

1 minute ago, Abyss Gaming said:

No clue wtf you are talking about xD

Get a screwdriver.

Open up the power supply unit you want to use. (make a custom casing for)

Look at the components.

For security, you need a ground wire. (if you don't know what that is, stop screwing around)

Your computer case should be connected to this ground wire.

Other components inside your (stock) PSU also need to be grounded.

You should keep all the grounded connections with an non conductive casing.

If you don't, and your PSU would go bad, you have a bigger problem with lots more potential damage to your hardware.

2 minutes ago, W-L said:

It's fine being inside the case as long as it's securely fastened, it doesn't need to be conductive at all. The PSU being mounted to the case in itself will ground the chassis, and the components themselves are grounded through their connections as it's DC. 

If OP is using a custom non-conductive casing for his PSU, there is NO chasis connection to his ground wire. That's my point!

Get a screwdriver.

Open up the power supply unit you want to use. (make a custom casing for)

Look at the components.

For security, you need a ground wire. (if you don't know what that is, stop screwing around)

Your computer case should be connected to this ground wire.

Other components inside your (stock) PSU also need to be grounded.

You should keep all the grounded connections with an non conductive casing.

If you don't, and your PSU would go bad, you have a bigger problem with lots more potential damage to your hardware.

Now I kinda get it. but I don't get why I need to do it...

7 minutes ago, Abyss Gaming said:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/OPTIX-11-in-x-14-in-x-093-in-Acrylic-Sheet-MC-27/202090111

Is that a good one to use? Also I wasn't even thinking of putting leds in, you inspired me xD

It will work. Converting the inches to mm so I can work with them (seriously, what kind of a measurement is 0.093 of an inch?) It seems to be about 2.4mm thick, which is okay, it should be easy to bend with a heat gun. Just go slowly if you're bending, if you heat it up too fast the plastic will bubble up and they won't go away. At 2.4mm, you need to be careful cutting it, especially if you're going to be using something with a saw-like action (hacksaw or jigsaw for example) as it's quite likely to crack or snap at that thickness. 

I would also advise sanding the side you won't see (or go for a frosted sheet, but applying heat may mess that up) if you're using LEDs, it will help disperse the light. 

If OP is using a custom non-conductive casing for his PSU, there is NO chasis connection to his ground wire. That's my point!

He's not doing that,it's just a PSU shroud or cover that creates a basement or cover like the H440. 

Also @Abyss Gaming Go for atleast 1/8" thick material that piece is a little thin, while easy to bend it may need more support when mounting. 

If there is some kind of electric magic happening, which should not be happening, the electric magic is send to the ground wire, protecting other components.

I call this "magic", because I don't exactly know how this works. All I know is that you should keep the ground wire/connections to protect your stuff.

3 minutes ago, Dutch-stoner said:

I think you're misunderstanding. OP just wants something like this: 

corsair-350d-midplate.jpg

He's not actually replacing the PSU's casing. If he were, I would tell him not to do it if he needs to ask how to. 

2 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

snip

Oh I didn't know thats what he thought I wanted to do xD I'm not messing with my PSU

If he only wants an added cover for his PSU, and if he uses stock mounting points then yes, my story can be ignored. I thought he wanted a new/custom casing for the bare PSU components...

1 minute ago, Dutch-stoner said:

If he only wants an added cover for his PSU, and if he uses stock mounting points then yes, my story can be ignored. I thought he wanted a new/custom casing for the bare PSU components...

Yea I wouldn't dare mess with the inside of my PSU, knowing me it would explode when I plugged it in lol.