How to select the most recently inserted record from table of sql server database

i have a table called employees that stores the ID,name,salaryamount and the date the record was inserted. the date is recorded in the db using the date datatype.i want to select the most recently inserted record ID from this employee table and store the value of this ID in a variable for doing some calculations.how can i do this using c#? if you dont know a lot about c# but u know the sql query to do this please comment it below.it would be very helpful.thanks

So you knwo the SQL query but want code to actually access the databse in c#?

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

20 hours ago, vorticalbox said:

So you knwo the SQL query but want code to actually access the databse in c#?

no i want the sql query to access the latest inserted record

1 minute ago, Shammikit said:

no i want the sql query to access the latest inserted record

try

select ID from table order by ID desc limit 1

1 hour ago, vorticalbox said:

try

cn.Open();
                string sql = "select ID from employees order by ID desc limit 1";
                SqlCommand query = new SqlCommand(sql, cn);
                SqlDataReader reader = query.ExecuteReader();
                reader.Read();
                String XID = reader["ID"].ToString();
                reader.Close();
                cn.Close();

label1.Text = XID.ToString();

It doesnt seem to be working,here is my code i have tried to display the value in a label to see if the correct ID number is selected but looks like nothing is selected.label 1 just displays label 1

Limit appears to be for MySql databases. Sql Server uses TOP. Also you want to order by your date column since that's how you know which record was inserted most recently.

SELECT TOP(1) Id FROM Table ORDER BY DateColumn DESC

Usage in C# would be something like this

string id;

using (var connection = new SqlConnection(connectionString))
{
    connection.Open();
    var query = "SELECT TOP(1) Id FROM Table ORDER BY DateColumn DESC";

using (var command = new SqlCommand(query, connection)) // When using statements are declared right 
    using (SqlDataReader reader = command.ExecuteReader())  // next to each other you can skip the nesting
    {
        if (reader.Read())
        {
            id = reader["Id"].ToString();
        }
    }
}

If you ever need to include WHERE in your SQL, then that could look more like this

string id;

{
    connection.Open();
    var query = "SELECT TOP(1) Id FROM Table WHERE NameColumn = @Name ORDER BY DateColumn DESC"; // Note the WHERE. Name is just an example

using (var command = new SqlCommand(query, connection))
    {
        command.Parameters.AddWithValue("@Name", nameVariable); // Note the command parameter to protect against SQL injection

// Here is another way to declare a parameter. It's a little more verbose, but it doesn't assume the type for you.
        // command.Parameters.Add("@Name", SqlDbType.NVarChar).Value = nameVariable;

using (SqlDataReader reader = command.ExecuteReader())
        {
            if (reader.Read())
            {
                id = reader["Id"].ToString();
            }
        }
    }
}

In this case, because you're only returning a single value you can also get rid of the reader and use SqlCommand.ExecuteScalar

string id;

{
    connection.Open();
    var query = "SELECT TOP(1) Id FROM Table ...";

using (var command = new SqlCommand(query, connection))
    {
        // add parameters if necessary

var result = command.ExecuteScalar();
        if (result != null && result != DBNull.Value)
        {
            id = result.ToString();
        }
    }
}

If you're not familiar with the using statements, they will automatically dispose of objects (that implement IDisposable) when they're done. It's generally a good practice to use them. You can leave the using statements out, but it's still good practice to manually call the dispose method of the objects when you're done with them.

3 hours ago, vorticalbox said:

try

ok i got it working, the query was:

select ID from table order by ID desc

it worked after removing the limit 1 part.i think limit 1 is used in mysql. im using sql server.Thanks for the support @vorticalbox and @madknight3

14 minutes ago, Shammikit said:

ok i got it working, the query was:

select ID from table order by ID desc

it worked after removing the limit 1 part.i think limit 1 is used in mysql. im using sql server.Thanks for the support @vorticalbox and @madknight3

Note that this may not be correct. What if the largest ID isn't the most recent insert? You didn't specify if that could happen or not. Isn't that why you have a date column?

It also returns all rows from the table instead of just a single row.

See my post for more info (I made a large edit)

17 hours ago, madknight3 said:

Note that this may not be correct. What if the largest ID isn't the most recent insert? You didn't specify if that could happen or not. Isn't that why you have a date column?

It also returns all rows from the table instead of just a single row.

See my post for more info (I made a large edit)

well I posted mysql code as it's what I am used too, normally when setting up an id its set to auto increment so unless you change an id the numbers always found up, if you added 3 rows and were given 1.2.3 ids deleting them all would make the next one start at 4. 

if you look at my post I added limit 1, it returns only 1 row. I had no idea if it actually worked.

6 hours ago, vorticalbox said:

well I posted mysql code as it's what I am used too [...] if you look at my post I added limit 1, it returns only 1 row. I had no idea if it actually worked.

That's fine. I just wanted to give the OP my take on the answer and show the difference between the MySql and Sql Server limit syntax.

6 hours ago, vorticalbox said:

normally when setting up an id its set to auto increment so unless you change an id the numbers always found up, if you added 3 rows and were given 1.2.3 ids deleting them all would make the next one start at 4. 

In many cases this can work fine and it's probably fine for the OPs use case, although they doesn't really say what that is. Still, I don't think it's a better practice than using a DateTime column which was created for this very purpose (which the OP states they have in the table).

Also, as far as I know there's no guarantee that auto increment will keep the proper order in scenarios where the database receives multiple inserts at around the same time. This might not be an issue for the OPs use case, but it's worth mentioning.