Keep the MacBook... or get a new cheap laptop

ThorBuildingLegos

So I have a mid-2010 white clamshell Macbook (MacBook7.1 to be specific). It has Intel Core Duo 2 at 2.4GHz, NVidia 320M, a/b/g wireless, 250GB 5400RPM HDD, 8G of ram (which I've previously upgraded) and some other stuff. It's been complaining that the battery "needs service" (yeah right; like I'll pay someone to do the job I can do quite happily my self, thank you very much - the guarantee be damned). So I've been pondering on replacing the battery and the movable HDD for an SSD instead. That will ofc increase the stability of my computers runtime (since the state of the battery is making my laptop behave strangely) and its performance. BUT: am I willing to spend 200$ to upgrade this old lappy when I could easily add a hundred bucks or more to get a cheaper, more modern and effecient laptop, with either intel series of CPU's or AMD's (though I'm seriously sceptical about the latter -- I've seen some baaad low budget laptops sporting the AMD logo).

So... upgrade or replace? Do you have any laptopts you would like to suggest? Bear in mind that I am not going to be using the laptop for gaming, though I might play some games when I'm stuck at a certain place and point in time where I have many disposable hours (lets say "airplanes", since it's the best "go-to" example). But even then I'm not looking for "GRAPHICS THAT PEEL THE SKIN OFF YOUR FACE" (and incidently: your lap). I might play some Shadow Warrior, but most likely I will be going back to my ol' point'n'click games (so... HD4600 for instance is "acceptable"... or "passable"... or "low budget requirement", you know what I mean).

The only reason I'd wish to part with my macbook (lets face it: small form factor, nice weight, easy to handle, it's really a very well designed machine) is because I HATE Apples implementation of the EFI standards, as well as it's "BIOS Emulation" bullcrap. It's one of those things that REALLY bothers me about Apple, that they bog their hardware down in stupid proprietary software that can't be supplamented or modified to work better on other operating systems such as Windows and LinuX. The Nvidia drivers on LinuX for instance should be blacklisted for all MacBooks with the 320M chipset. The reason being that there is a fundamental difference in how the MacBook uses the NVRAM, compared to other computers WHO FOLLOW EFFIN' STANDARDS. This leads to memory fault, kernel panic and the screen going blank. It should be said that this is due to Nvidias lack of proper support for EFI on LinuX -- which might be one of the reasons the founder of LinuX flipped Nvidia the bird.

Besides Apple coddling it's laptopts to death I have to say I've found the MacBook7.1 to be a complimenting companion and has served me well. But, might it be time to make the switch?

Thanks for reading!
Cheers.

Thoroughness rating
#########

So I have a mid-2010 white clamshell Macbook (MacBook7.1 to be specific). It has Intel Core Duo 2 at 2.4GHz, NVidia 320M, a/b/g wireless, 250GB 5400RPM HDD, 8G of ram (which I've previously upgraded) and some other stuff. It's been complaining that the battery "needs service" (yeah right; like I'll pay someone to do the job I can do quite happily my self, thank you very much - the guarantee be damned). So I've been pondering on replacing the battery and the movable HDD for an SSD instead. That will ofc increase the stability of my computers runtime (since the state of the battery is making my laptop behave strangely) and its performance. BUT: am I willing to spend 200$ to upgrade this old lappy when I could easily add a hundred bucks or more to get a cheaper, more modern and effecient laptop, with either intel series of CPU's or AMD's (though I'm seriously sceptical about the latter -- I've seen some baaad low budget laptops sporting the AMD logo).

So... upgrade or replace? Do you have any laptopts you would like to suggest? Bear in mind that I am not going to be using the laptop for gaming, though I might play some games when I'm stuck at a certain place and point in time where I have many disposable hours (lets say "airplanes", since it's the best "go-to" example). But even then I'm not looking for "GRAPHICS THAT PEEL THE SKIN OFF YOUR FACE" (and incidently: your lap). I might play some Shadow Warrior, but most likely I will be going back to my ol' point'n'click games (so... HD4600 for instance is "acceptable"... or "passable"... or "low budget requirement", you know what I mean).

The only reason I'd wish to part with my macbook (lets face it: small form factor, nice weight, easy to handle, it's really a very well designed machine) is because I HATE Apples implementation of the EFI standards, as well as it's "BIOS Emulation" bullcrap. It's one of those things that REALLY bothers me about Apple, that they bog their hardware down in stupid proprietary software that can't be supplamented or modified to work better on other operating systems such as Windows and LinuX. The Nvidia drivers on LinuX for instance should be blacklisted for all MacBooks with the 320M chipset. The reason being that there is a fundamental difference in how the MacBook uses the NVRAM, compared to other computers WHO FOLLOW EFFIN' STANDARDS. This leads to memory fault, kernel panic and the screen going blank. It should be said that this is due to Nvidias lack of proper support for EFI on LinuX -- which might be one of the reasons the founder of LinuX flipped Nvidia the bird.

Besides Apple coddling it's laptopts to death I have to say I've found the MacBook7.1 to be a complimenting companion and has served me well. But, might it be time to make the switch?

Thanks for reading!

Cheers.

unless youneed to upgrade stick with the laptop ?

for $300 or even $400 I doubt you would find something comparable to your current Macbook. Neither in speed, nor in build quality, nor in almost anything else.

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

i reckon upgrade. Im in school and was given that same macbook and i have kept it in good condition and it still really snappy. My school has already replaced the battery for free for me so yeah. 

msi h77ma g43 

i5 3470

Coolermaster hyper 212 evo push+pull

Powercolor 7950 pcs+ @1100 mhz core 1400mhz mem

Coolermaster haf 912 advanced 120mm rear, 200mm top 200mm front

Corsair vengeance 2x4gb 1600 MHZ

Windows 8 64bit

Silverstone essentials 500w ST50F-ES

Samsung dvd drive

2x 250GB Hitachi RAID0

Seagate Barracuda 2tb

LG IPS235p

Razer Blackwidow

Razer Deathadder

an ssd would make it feel like a new machine imo, really snappy. No need for an upgrade save your money 

CPU: i5 4670k with Noctua C12P-SE14 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 SSD: 250gb Samsung EVO MOBO: MSI Z87-G43 RAM: 8GB G-Skill 1600mhz PSU: Antec HCG 620W CASE: Corsair 300R windowed 

Done deal. Makes sence, really. I usually parrot the same idea: DON'T buy cheap laptops because it usually means subpar materials, construction, overall quality and performance. I was hoping that the trend had changed, that producers like acer and hp had found a balance between cheaper hardware and design, but NOOOOO! That wouldn't be considerate towards the bottom line...

Sent from my GT-N7100

Thoroughness rating
#########

I just upgraded two 2009 Macbooks with 840 Evos.

They feel like 2013 machines in 'everyday' usage scenarios (i.e. surfing, email, office, etc.)

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

i am not a fan of change (and repair) old notebooks (and yea, i know is powerful and is good build)

but like you say, i prefer leave the past in the past, and bring a full (and cheap) new notebook to my life

with that in mind, i have a personal problem with the line "Core 2 Duo" (i hate it lol, but that is just me)

so yea...

i think a new notebook is the best choice  ^_^

the other thing is, there are many options in this time to do that, so the 1s step is choose, ARM or x86 ?

i will pick x86 by the way, from that next choose will be, intel or APU ? (and i will pick APU lol)

so in the end, i recomend a 4 cores (or more) notebook or netbook

is way far from your Mac, but i think you need a change (any new cpu will be a good ubgrade for me, in your case)

(keep in mind that your new real target must be get a 4 cores cpu, good luck friend)  ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Actually went for an upgrade. I upgraded the battery (because it needed to be "serviced"), the ram (from a max of 8GB to a max of 16GB - due to EFI updates... Apple really locks their systems down) and I bought a Samsung EVO 840, not to mention a new rubber cover for the bottom of the laptop (the model I have came with a rubber that expands with heat and eventually pops out of place -- it can be sent to service and replaced for free, but meh). Now it's running smoothly (mostly thanks to the SSD, but also the RAM).

I don't have any quarrels with Core 2 CPU's. I have a quarrel with faulty CPU+Chipset+RAM combinations and despite my quarrel with Apple they are solid system builders. This core 2 laptop has been through hell and back, and still runs like a dream (albeit due to incremental upgrade of hardware - but still).

When I got the new rubber cover in the mail I will take a pic and post it :P

Here's the math, btw (I paid in USD for everything but the SSD and I've left out the postage)

• Battery              120$
  • RAM                 100$
  • SSD                  110$
  • SSD Bracket     30$
  • Rubber cover:   15$
  • Total:                 375$

375$ is not enough to buy a "functional" laptop here in Norway (it's like 2000kr), but by using it to make my mobile working environment more stable and effective I have saved money and resources by increasing the lifespan of the device, visa vi that it does not need to be replaced for some while still. Though if it dies next year the 2000kr might be... wasted. But it depends upon how much work I actually do on the laptop. In the end I think it weighs out. Maintenance is also a very important aspect of owning any machine and laptops are MAGNETS for dust. So many people I know who complain about overheating machine or failing hardware have NEVER cleaned out the fans and cooling blocks inside their laptops because they are inherently wary of damaging their device. I am more adventurous and constantly clean out this MacBook with a can of compressed air. It does wonders.

So if you have a MacBook7,1 (A3142) that you've either brushed aside or think needs replacing consider upgrading your laptop with components from OWC (Other World Computing -- it's where I've gotten the 8GB of ram, the 16GB of ram and the SSD bracket).

Thoroughness rating
#########