G4560+GTX 1050 vs I5-4460+GTX 960

Big Head Tech

So the video that I'll be posting tonight will pin a brand new $500 gaming PC vs a used one off of CL.  Just a quick teaser, at 1080p high settings GTA V ran on the G4560+GTX 1050 at 88 FPS average across the 5 benchmarks.  I am very surprised that this level of hardware can perform so well.  Stay tuned for my status update for the full results!

i feel like the the i5 build will win...that is if its a 4gb 960 lol

Main PC(no name yet): CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 1700, MOBO-ASRock AB350 K4, RAM-16gb G.Skill 3000MHz, GPU-Asus Strix GTX960 2gb, CPU Cooler-Stock Cooler rn, Storage-SanDisk 512gb SSD/OCZ Agility 4 128gb SSD/2TB Toshiba, CASE-Corsair Spec-02 Redshift Edition

Laptop: HP EliteBook Folio 9470m

15 minutes ago, Snaeb said:

Just a quick teaser, at 1080p high settings GTA V ran on the G4560+GTX 1050 at 88 FPS average across the 5 benchmarks.  I am very surprised that this level of hardware can perform so well.

Just keep in mind that average framerates don't really give you the whole picture of how the game feels to play. Frames per second is a fairly coarse unit, and variations in how long each frame takes to render can really harm the experience, without necessarily showing up in the overall FPS average. That's often where Pentiums suffer.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/msi_geforce_gtx_1050_and_1050_ti_gaming_x_review,1.html

Looks like the GTX 960 may even be slightly faster in many games, and equal to the 1050 at worst. I'd definitely get the i5 system.

2 hours ago, typographie said:

Just keep in mind that average framerates don't really give you the whole picture of how the game feels to play. Frames per second is a fairly coarse unit, and variations in how long each frame takes to render can really harm the experience, without necessarily showing up in the overall FPS average. That's often where Pentiums suffer.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/msi_geforce_gtx_1050_and_1050_ti_gaming_x_review,1.html

Looks like the GTX 960 may even be slightly faster in many games, and equal to the 1050 at worst. I'd definitely get the i5 system.

I don't think anyone would expect the I5 to lose and it probably won't.  But the question is, what is the variance?  Is it worth getting an older system with no parts/labor warranty vs building your own that has warranties and are brand new?  Of course we on the LTT forum can build/fix but what about those that can build but cannot fix?  I'll be selling these at similar price points, one will have a 30 day warranty the other will be one year.

2 hours ago, frozeNNN said:

960=1050. Only better processor

Not sure we will find out

2 hours ago, koolerone said:

i feel like the the i5 build will win...that is if its a 4gb 960 lol

Technically I am using settings to keep max Vram at 2GB so I am kinda cheating.