Game Engines?

SoftwareNinja

Okay so I am quite confused when is comes to people talking about Game Engines?

When people say "I made my own Game Engine." or "This game uses it's own game engine", do they mean that they created a Editor i.e. Unreal / Unity or did they just completely hard code the game?

I'm working on a custom game engine using OpenGL and SDL following tutorials as I am a self thought student but how do editor's work?

Can editors be made with MFC while using the OpenGL & SDL Libraries? 

Hopefully someone can help me understand this or link me to a post that with explain more for my own Knowledge.

Can't seem to fine resources online..

Thanks in advance!

a lot of times when people talk about making game engines it tends to "hardcoded" though if you code it properly you could feed it different map or other files and be different based on that and usually don't include an editor but if your making a game engine for yourself most of the time people don't bother actually making a game editor since they can just do it in code because they did the code all an editor is is pretty much just a interface between you in code to make it less complicated 

On ‎3‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 9:13 PM, SD2020_ said:

snip

In a way both.

The original term for game engine editor was GDK or Game Development Kit.

It was just false use of terminology that turned it into Game Engine. It's easier to just call the editor and engine the same thing as often times nowadays Engines have the editor closely attached.

Other times engines can refer to hard coded things you created. For instance I can create a character controller, and enemies with Unreal (A popular GDK/Game engine) and call my new collection of pieces a game engine for Unreal engine.