Is this a good idea?

retroid99

I'm on a pretty low budget being only 15, and a freshman. I don't have enough to buy a new rig, so does upgrading my current one with these parts a good idea? Anything I should change.

Here's my current setup

Case - Corsair SPEC-01

PSU - 500w evga

Ram - Corsair Vengeance Red 8gb (2x4) 2133

Motherboard - MSI 970 GAMING

Cpu - amd fx 8320

Gpu - Sapphire r9 270x 2GB

So I want to spend around 200$ to upgrade this and here's what I was thinking. Get a 600w, psu for 50$, another gpu for crossfire, for around 80$ on ebay preowned, and upgrade the ram to 16gb which is right now 65$. Is this a good idea, and what should I do differently?

1 minute ago, retroid99 said:

I'm on a pretty low budget being only 15, and a freshman. I don't have enough to buy a new rig, so does upgrading my current one with these parts a good idea? Anything I should change.

Here's my current setup

Case - Corsair SPEC-01

PSU - 500w evga

Cpu - amd fx 8320

So I want to spend around 200$ to upgrade this and here's what I was thinking. Get a 600w, psu for 50$, another gpu for crossfire, for around 80$ on ebay preowned, and upgrade the ram to 16gb which is right now 65$. Is this a good idea, and what should I do differently?

What do you have now?

1 minute ago, TomR said:

What do you have now?

This

Case - Corsair SPEC-01

PSU - 500w evga

Cpu - amd fx 8320

3 minutes ago, TomR said:

What do you have now?

Someone can't read...

5 minutes ago, retroid99 said:

Here's my current setup

Case - Corsair SPEC-01

PSU - 500w evga

Cpu - amd fx 8320

That's a hard one. $200.. Hm..

https://jet.com/product/ASUS-Dual-fan-Radeon-RX-480-4GB-OC-Edition-AMD-Gaming-Graphics-Card-with-DP-14-H/fbf04dad92cc4935b9430feded6104d7

This.. OPT out of free returns and use TRIPLE15 to save money then the card has a $20 Mail in rebate on it.

That should leave you with $60. If you are really contempt in upgrading, put that $60 away until you can upgrade CPU + Mobo + RAM and get a new PSU. You could probably sell your Cpu/Mobo/Ram for ~$200 which with the $60 gives you likely enough for a CPU + DDR4 then you just need an extra $70-$100 for a mobo

so once you put that $60 away and save up to $150ish, sell CPU/Ram/Mobo and upgrade to something from the i5 lineup or R5 lineup when it releases

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

6 minutes ago, retroid99 said:

Here's my current setup

Case - Corsair SPEC-01

PSU - 500w evga

Cpu - amd fx 8320

I'd see some cheap 4th gen or 3rd gen i5 instead so you can reuse RAM and a mobo. I guess it should come around 200

1 minute ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Someone can't read...

Here you are, being a doucher for no reason again 

i'd say swap outn that power supply now for something like an evga G2, corsair RMx, or any other similar or better quality power supply, in preparation for bigger upgrades down the line.

1 minute ago, TomR said:

Here you are, being a doucher for no reason again 

however douchy said move was, he did kinda have a point..

Just now, manikyath said:

however douchy said move was, he did kinda have a point..

Misread the post, big whoop.

On that tight of a budget, I wouldn't upgrade to 16gb of ram. Use that money towards another key part like a new gpu, or cpu etc....

1 minute ago, EnemySp0tt3d said:

On that tight of a budget, I wouldn't upgrade to 16gb of ram. Use that money towards another key part like a new gpu, or cpu etc....

backing this, because whichever cpu upgrade you may do in the future will mean DDR4 either way.