Newbie Build Recommendations

Hello,

I've come to a fork in the road, replace my aging Mac Desktop with another Mac or go over to the dark side, so to speak. I've chosen to go with a PC and the idea of building a system is compelling for many reasons, not the least of which is I can assemble a rig to meet my specific requirements.

Here I am, hat in hand, soliciting advice from those of you that know PC's and can help steer me in the right directions.

My primary uses are editing in Adobe CC as well as some After Effects work. I also am working a lot with 360 video which uses GoPro Omni Importer and Autopano Video Pro as well as Autopano Giga to stitch and output 360 videos. 

For PCI slots I need the following:

1.Graphics Card (likely the GeForce GTX 1080Ti)

2. Blackmagic Decklink 4k Capture Card

3. Creative Sound Blaster ZXR main board and daughter board

4. Atto External RAID Card

5. Internal RAID Card 

Case: I like the size and looks of the Phanteks Enthoo Primo and the internal drive expansion capabilities but I'm open to suggestions.

Cooling: Fans, radiators, liquid cooling or any combination. 

Memory: at least 64GB, more if it warrants it and makes sense based on my specific needs

Drives: OS -Leaning towards a Samsung 960 Pro NVME

PCIE -Intel 750 Series  800GB PCIE (for use with Adobe Premiere & AE cache)

4-8 Mechanical drives configured as RAID O (I have two external copies of every drive that will be copied onto the internal RAID so I'm after speed internally, not data protection)

I have no preference over the CPU, just whatever makes sense for my needs. 

Build Budget: Ideally, all in including internal mechanical drives and internal RAID card (if needed) but excluding external RIAD card,  I'd like to be under $7k or not much above considering I will likely purchase a new monitor as well.

That's what I know so far based on my research. Any advice, suggestions, things to avoid, places to buy is greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your help.

Glenn

Seems fine.

If make sure that you aren't putting all your HDDs in raid 0

use raid 10 or raid 5, so a single drive failure can't wipe out all your data.

(I'd recommend raid 5 if possible)

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

9 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

Seems fine.

If make sure that you aren't putting all your HDDs in raid 0

use raid 10 or raid 5, so a single drive failure can't wipe out all your data.

(I'd recommend raid 5 if possible)

Redundancy in the internal RAID is not necessary as I have two external copies of every drive that will be copied over into the internal RAID. I need speed internally, but thanks for thinking about that for me. 

For at least 4-5 minimum harddrives, most newer cases will be out of the question. I would recommend the slightly aged but still one of the best Fractal Define R5. Check it out. 

35 minutes ago, mealto said:

For at least 4-5 minimum harddrives, most newer cases will be out of the question. I would recommend the slightly aged but still one of the best Fractal Define R5. Check it out. 

Thanks for the tip. It definitely has lots of space for drives.

Just now, Leisureworld said:

Thanks for the tip. It definitely has lots of space for drives.

For a rig with this many harddrive bays, be sure to get a power supply with at least 3 sata power ports and even a perif connection that your can adapt molex to sata. With how large this case is and with water cooling and fan header controllers, just make sure youn have enough sata power ports as the ssd's can be installed behind the motherboard and that takes up 1 strand of sata power cable. 

31 minutes ago, mealto said:

For a rig with this many harddrive bays, be sure to get a power supply with at least 3 sata power ports and even a perif connection that your can adapt molex to sata. With how large this case is and with water cooling and fan header controllers, just make sure youn have enough sata power ports as the ssd's can be installed behind the motherboard and that takes up 1 strand of sata power cable. 

Very good. Thanks for that bit of advice. Is it typical of 1000w power supply to have 3+ stat power ports and a perif connection? The reason I ask is I was figuring on a PSU in that range.

17 minutes ago, Leisureworld said:

Very good. Thanks for that bit of advice. Is it typical of 1000w power supply to have 3+ stat power ports and a perif connection? The reason I ask is I was figuring on a PSU in that range.

It depends on the manufacturer and model. Sometimes, manufacturers change their ports from version to version. Just look at the photo of each unit.

For instance, here is an EVGA 1000W unit. You will see 3 SATA ports and 1 Perid (on the unit itself): https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/JBzZxr/evga-supernova-g3-1000w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-220-g3-1000

Now go to the specs and see how many SATA ports in total (on each strand of power supply cable).

59 minutes ago, mealto said:

It depends on the manufacturer and model. Sometimes, manufacturers change their ports from version to version. Just look at the photo of each unit.

For instance, here is an EVGA 1000W unit. You will see 3 SATA ports and 1 Perid (on the unit itself): https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/JBzZxr/evga-supernova-g3-1000w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-220-g3-1000

Now go to the specs and see how many SATA ports in total (on each strand of power supply cable).

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question. This is all hugely helpful.

I spent time on and off throughout the day looking at CPU's. Whew.....where and how does one choose. Intel makes it ridiculously complicated with the overlap in processors. 

Any thoughts on a solid, high performance CPU for editing and compositing related tasks under $1500? Gaming isn't a consideration for me, but I need a CPU that has multiple cores to aid in rendering.

You might want to look into AMD Ryzen for multi-core on the not so price hiked Intels :D

Just now, KyleKyleKyle said:

You might want to look into AMD Ryzen for multi-core on the not so price hiked Intels :D

The AMD Ryzen is definitely a strong choice for me, the issue I'm finding is the motherboards that accommodate the Ryzen don't have enough PCI slots. Perhaps that will change as the Ryzen gets traction in the marketplace.