Looking for new keyboard and mouse

scottyseng

I currently have a Saitek Eclipse 3 keyboard and a Steel Series Sensei MLG mouse. The keys labels are starting to peel off on the keyboard. I actually like the Sensei mouse, but the scroll wheel black rubber stretched out and so it snags when I try to scroll a fair bit. I actually took it apart and removed the black grip and ghetto made my own using kneaded eraser and electrical tape. It's usable now, but it's starting to wear out my finger. I have a second sensei MLG mouse for my server, but I know the scroll wheel would suffer the same fate so I'd rather get a different mouse.

I was looking at getting the Ducky Shine 6 Snow White Edition with MX Silver (speed switches). I like the design and the white color looks really nice to me. I was wondering if there was anything else to consider (I know the K70 Luxe (MX Red) / Strafe (MX Silent) is pretty popular). Link here: https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=2347

I'm not too picky on the keyboard / switch type as long as it doesn't have click noise (MX Blue). I'm mostly using it for work and the games I do play are very casual in nature (RPGs). I don't need macro keys, audio, or USB pass through. I've tried the MX Red on my brother's keyboard and it would be good enough for me. I figured I would just get the silver because it costs the same anyway...My cousin has the blues (K70) and I don't like the click noise they put out.

As for the mouse, I was looking for a mouse that has a infinite scroll / non-clicking scroll wheel (Or Hyper Fast scrolling with Logitech's marketing). I have narrowed down my choices to the G502, MX Master, or Performance MX. I really prefer wired mice, but I'm not sure how safe it would be just to keep the MX Master plugged all of the time (I really like the layout of it). I don't need a lot of buttons, I really only ever use the two side buttons for forward and back on my current mouse. I feel like the extra buttons on the G502 would just collect dust or accidently trigger something. I'm kind of leaning towards the MX master, but I'm unsure if it's okay to just keep it plugged in and pretend it's a wired mouse. I mostly use the mouse for 3D modeling, blueprinting, programming, and browsing...so lots of abuse on the scroll wheel for panning in the programs.

5 minutes ago, scottyseng said:

I currently have a Saitek Eclipse 3 keyboard and a Steel Series Sensei MLG mouse. The keys labels are starting to peel off on the keyboard. I actually like the Sensei mouse, but the scroll wheel black rubber stretched out and so it snags when I try to scroll a fair bit. I actually took it apart and removed the black grip and ghetto made my own using kneaded eraser and electrical tape. It's usable now, but it's starting to wear out my finger. I have a second sensei MLG mouse for my server, but I know the scroll wheel would suffer the same fate so I'd rather get a different mouse.

I was looking at getting the Ducky Shine 6 Snow White Edition with MX Silver (speed switches). I like the design and the white color looks really nice to me. I was wondering if there was anything else to consider (I know the K70 Luxe (MX Red) / Strafe (MX Silent) is pretty popular). Link here: https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=2347

I'm not too picky on the keyboard / switch type as long as it doesn't have click noise (MX Blue). I'm mostly using it for work and the games I do play are very casual in nature (RPGs). I don't need macro keys, audio, or USB pass through. I've tried the MX Red on my brother's keyboard and it would be good enough for me. I figured I would just get the silver because it costs the same anyway...My cousin has the blues (K70) and I don't like the click noise they put out.

As for the mouse, I was looking for a mouse that has a infinite scroll / non-clicking scroll wheel (Or Hyper Fast scrolling with Logitech's marketing). I have narrowed down my choices to the G502, MX Master, or Performance MX. I really prefer wired mice, but I'm not sure how safe it would be just to keep the MX Master plugged all of the time (I really like the layout of it). I don't need a lot of buttons, I really only ever use the two side buttons for forward and back on my current mouse. I feel like the extra buttons on the G502 would just collect dust or accidently trigger something. I'm kind of leaning towards the MX master, but I'm unsure if it's okay to just keep it plugged in and pretend it's a wired mouse. I mostly use the mouse for 3D modeling, blueprinting, programming, and browsing...so lots of abuse on the scroll wheel for panning in the programs.

You might want to look into the (i believe it is) k95 with speed switches. It's considered the new king over the old corsair keyboards.

As for a mouse, keeping it plugged in won't get rid of the latency so I don't see why you would. I highly recommend the MX Master if its for content creation, if you're more a gamer go with one of logitech's mouses. It's better to have extra buttons than to have too little buttons. You can use them for macros to avoid doing tedious tasks.

1 minute ago, Mantix said:

-snip-

Hmm, wasn't aware there was K95...the price seems a tad high for me though. All I see at the moment is the addition of macro keys?

Oh, I just mostly don't want to deal with forgetting to charge the mouse. I used to have a crappy wireless HP keyboard / mouse set and got tired of not knowing when it would die on me (When it did die, I got the Saitek keyboard as a replacement).

Yeah, I'm probably 90-95% content creation for now. That's why I was looking at the MX Master for the simpler button layout.

Just now, scottyseng said:

Hmm, wasn't aware there was K95...the price seems a tad high for me though. All I see at the moment is the addition of macro keys?

Oh, I just mostly don't want to deal with forgetting to charge the mouse. I used to have a crappy wireless HP keyboard / mouse set and got tired of not knowing when it would die on me (When it did die, I got the Saitek keyboard as a replacement).

Yeah, I'm probably 90-95% content creation for now. That's why I was looking at the MX Master for the simpler button layout.

The K96 offers less macro keys but has amazing switches that are "unbeatable" in competitive play. If you don't see a use for this or the extra RGB lights at the top then don't get it. Get the k70 or even a cheap mechanical keyboard.

The ergonomics of the mx master are really good depending on what your mouse style is. If you look at a mionix naos if thats more your style of mouse.

G502 + K70 RGB (reds) masterrace!

• CPU: Intel Core i7-6700k @4.3ghz, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB @2400mhz, GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 , Case: Corsair 300R, Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 256GB SSD, WD 1TB Black HDD, WD 2TB HDD PSU: Evga SuperNova 750 G2, Display: ASUS VG248QE @144hz, Cooling: Cooler Master V8 GTS, Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum, Mouse: Logitech G502 Lightspeed, Sound: Phillips SHP9500 + VModa Boom Pro, Operating System: Windows 10 Pro
  •  

6 minutes ago, Mantix said:

-snip-

Yeah, that's why I was mostly looking at the K70 since it didn't have the macro keys. I'm not a competitive gamer at all...I'm actually quite terrible at shooting games. haha. As for why I'm getting speed switches...they cost the same as the Reds...so I figured why not.

I'm probably leaning more towards the MX Master now.

4 minutes ago, Festive said:

G502 + K70 RGB (reds) masterrace!

I kind of find the G502 too cluttered though with buttons. I worry that the unused buttons would just collect dust / grime more than anything...

Yeah, it's a toss up between the K70 vs the Shine 6 at the moment for me.

I use a G403 for my bigger palm grip hands.  Top of the line sensor.  For keyboard I just use Varmilo VA68M/ Gateron Blue switches/ PBT dye sub key caps. Honestly keyboards don't really mean anything in the realm of gaming apart from switch preference.  I know people that game on blue, browns and reds. I know high rank Dota2/CS GO players that use 60% keyboards like the Tada68. Since all keyboards for the most part have the same spacing on the keys it really doesn't matter. 

I recently started using a keyboard that didn't have a numpad and my gaming in general has greatly improved as I am able to bring my hands closer together. 

Also a note about switches. A lot of people think that Gateron switches are a lot smoother than cherry MX.

2 minutes ago, Ghen90 said:

I use a G403 for my bigger palm grip hands.  Top of the line sensor.  For keyboard I just use Varmilo VA68M/ Gateron Blue switches/ PBT dye sub key caps. Honestly keyboards don't really mean anything in the realm of gaming apart from switch preference.  I know people that game on blue, browns and reds. I know high rank Dota2/CS GO players that use 60% keyboards like the Tada68. Since all keyboards for the most part have the same spacing on the keys it really doesn't matter. 

Yeah, my cousin really wants the G403, but I want a unlocked scroll wheel for my uses. It is a nice mouse though.

Haha, I'm just typing for the most part (hardly game anymore). I'll be honest and say I couldn't tell the difference between the different switch types (except the ones that make the click sound) when I was playing with the cooler master switch demo thingy at Microcenter.

7 minutes ago, scottyseng said:

Yeah, my cousin really wants the G403, but I want a unlocked scroll wheel for my uses. It is a nice mouse though.

Haha, I'm just typing for the most part (hardly game anymore). I'll be honest and say I couldn't tell the difference between the different switch types (except the ones that make the click sound) when I was playing with the cooler master switch demo thingy at Microcenter.

I use Jailbroken Gateon Blues. Which means they do not make the audible click sound but still have the feel of Blues.

Key cap profile has a play in feel also. SA sculpted caps are great for typing. Lots of different profiles. As Iv gone down the rapid hole that is mechanical keyboards I have come to realize how trash most "gaming" keyboards are.