R9 280X DCUII Temps

Kidbest100

Hey guys, so I just built a rig a few weeks back, with a 4670K, and an Asus Radeon R9 280X DCUII TOP.

I'm playing Far Cry 3, and running ASUS GPU Tweak, and it says that my card is running at up to 86 degrees at times.  

My case is the Bitfenix Ronin, and I knew this wasn't such a great Airflow-oriented case, so I run the fans it comes with at minimum 75% constantly, and then stuck another third fan in the bottom, also at 75%, and they are pumping a good amount of air from what I can tell.

Is this acceptable for the card?  I have seen other reviews of the same model and they all said their card never went over about 70 degrees, while mine is destroying Far Cry 3 at max settings, and pumping up to 86 degrees.

Is that a normal temp?

What are the ambient temps?

[AMD Athlon 64 Mobile 4000+ Socket 754 | Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro nForce3 | OCZ 2GB DDR PC3200 | Sapphire HD 3850 512MB AGP | 850 Evo | Seasonic 430W | Win XP/10]

Ambient temperatures are a factor.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

If you're not happy with the temperature you can create and adjust your own fan curve in GPU Tweak or MSI Afterburner.
You can compromise noise for cooler temperatures, 86c is a little bit on the hot side for my personal taste, I usually like to keep my GPUs running in the high 70s or low 80s.
The official maximum safe temperature for Tahiti (280X) is 94c.

86 is fine for a 280x since they are designed to run at 92 degrees Celsius. I The new amd cards run HOttt...

Cpu 3970x, Ram Corsair Dominator 32Gb, Case Corsair 900D, Storage Raid 0 Samsung 512Gbs 2 ssds, 1TB WD Black Drive and 2Tb WD Black Drive, Psu Corsair 1200watt, Display Samsung 27inch 2660by1440, Cooling 4 alphacool radiators, 13 fans, Ek rez, 2 pumps, Keyboard Corsair K70, Sound Sennheiser 363d 

Hey guys, so I just built a rig a few weeks back, with a 4670K, and an Asus Radeon R9 280X DCUII TOP.

I'm playing Far Cry 3, and running ASUS GPU Tweak, and it says that my card is running at up to 86 degrees at times.  

My case is the Bitfenix Ronin, and I knew this wasn't such a great Airflow-oriented case, so I run the fans it comes with at minimum 75% constantly, and then stuck another third fan in the bottom, also at 75%, and they are pumping a good amount of air from what I can tell.

Is this acceptable for the card?  I have seen other reviews of the same model and they all said their card never went over about 70 degrees, while mine is destroying Far Cry 3 at max settings, and pumping up to 86 degrees.

Is that a normal temp?

just to put it out there. the asus gpu tweak totaly missread and almost killed my whole system on 7970. sounds like ambient temps are pretty high? is the fans spinning ?

86 is fine for a 280x since they are designed to run at 92 degrees Celsius. I The new amd cards run HOttt...

280X is a 7970GE re-brand.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

My ambient temps are actually pretty high, you're right.  

I live in Canada, and and on west coast, so its fairly cold here, and that's why I've got a woodstove in the house to keep things warm, almost too warm.

My temperature in my house right now is about 25 degrees Celcius.

AMD said and I quote "that these cards are meant to run at 96°C" so don't worry apparently these cards were designed for high amount of temperature... However we all know that 96°C is a bit abnormal for any graphics cards, Butt apparently high temperatures won't affect the longevity of the cards, which I believe is truly BS. So just be careful with these cards...

Cpu 3970x, Ram Corsair Dominator 32Gb, Case Corsair 900D, Storage Raid 0 Samsung 512Gbs 2 ssds, 1TB WD Black Drive and 2Tb WD Black Drive, Psu Corsair 1200watt, Display Samsung 27inch 2660by1440, Cooling 4 alphacool radiators, 13 fans, Ek rez, 2 pumps, Keyboard Corsair K70, Sound Sennheiser 363d 

Yeah I know thats pretty much BS.  No GPU running at 96 degrees is going to last as long as one running at 70

That's why I want to try and figure out if its my case causing the heat problems, or what exactly is going on.

How hot is the air in your case?

My rig: CPU: Intel core i5 4670K MoBo: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 2x4GB 1600mhz CL9 GPU: EVGA GTX780 SC ACX SSD: ADATA Premier Pro SP900 256GBHDD: Western Digital RED 2TB PSU: FSP Aurum CM 750W Case: Cooler Master HAF XM OS: Windows 8 Pro

My Build log, the Snowbird (heavy WIP): http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/188011-snowbird-by-lachy/?hl=snowbird

How's your case airflow? Do you have intakes(in) and exhausts(out)? 

Try setting a custom van curve through afterburner or gputweak. the asus 280x was silence optimized.

How's your room airflow? If it's warm, try opening a window.

Did you Overclock/overvolt your card? This can make your card hot.

Visually check your graphics card to make sure the fans are spinning, you might have a dead fan.

Yeah I know thats pretty much BS.  No GPU running at 96 degrees is going to last as long as one running at 70

That's why I want to try and figure out if its my case causing the heat problems, or what exactly is going on.

If the card is running quietly just raise the fan speeds a bit and you're fine.

I have the same card and it runs a max of 70C under load with ambient temps of 25-30

Mine is 71 degrees while stress testing with slight overclock and 65-67 while gaming.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk RAM: Kingston HyperX Predator RGB 32 GB (4x8GB) DDR4 GPU: EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 SSD: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512 GB NVME | Samsung QVO 1TB SSD  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 4TB | Seagate Barracuda 8TB Case: Phanteks ECLIPSE P600S PSU: Corsair RM850x

I am a gamer, not because I don't have a life, but because I choose to have many.

AMD said and I quote "that these cards are meant to run at 96°C" so don't worry apparently these cards were designed for high amount of temperature... However we all know that 96°C is a bit abnormal for any graphics cards, Butt apparently high temperatures won't affect the longevity of the cards, which I believe is truly BS. So just be careful with these cards...

That's for the 290x. The 280x is a 7970 which shouldn't run hotter than 83 24/7

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place