Is my ISP screwing us?

fastcar123
1 minute ago, fastcar123 said:

Yep that's the one.

The converter that I am referring to was put there by a tech from AT&T. I have seen it and it does actually have a fiber cable connected to it. So I am assuming here a little. But it only makes sense to me that every other apartment would also have one of these converters as well. Furthermore I have seen the inside of the buildings here that are still under construction (its a very new complex). I have seen that there is a fiber cable running through the skeleton of the building and to each individual apartment. What I do not know is what type of cable that runs from the converter to the router. I also have no clue where those individual fiber cables start.

hope that helps clear things up a bit.

Given what types of inputs that router supports, I'm guessing that it's gigabit ethernet for the connection. But unless you know for sure that there is a seperate fiber and ONT for each apartment, I really suspect they are using a single fiber for everyone in the building. That would account for your reduced speeds, even when testing with dslreports.com

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

2 minutes ago, brwainer said:

Given what types of inputs that router supports, I'm guessing that it's gigabit ethernet for the connection. But unless you know for sure that there is a seperate fiber and ONT for each apartment, I really suspect they are using a single fiber for everyone in the building. That would account for your reduced speeds, even when testing with dslreports.com

is there a way to test this for sure?

8 minutes ago, fastcar123 said:

you'd have to look in whatever room the converter box was in - if there is just one box that all the ethernet connect to, then you'd be looking to see how many fibers are connected to it as well; or if there is one converter box per apartment then that would be pretty obvious. Or if you see the ATT techs working on one of the other buildings, you could ask them - and they would also probably be able to tell you whether the fiber is running at 1Gb, 4Gb, or 10Gb. I could see them using a single 10Gb fiber for a whole building, with pretty reasonable expectation that users won't all be using their full speeds at the same time.

EDIT: Sorry I misread a part of your previous messages. So it sounds like they do have fiber going to each apartment - but where is the converter box? Is it near your power breaker box?

Edit: trying not to be redundant... so i deleted stuff

What are your pc's specs?

I try to answer the best I can. 

Please realize that 95% of issues can be solved through Google.  I'll try to help,  but you need to Google yourself.  

sorry but wouldn't it be faster to ask the ips? if they can't fix it, then tell us what they told you, then maybe we can tell you if they're lying or not.

25 minutes ago, mad dudy said:

sorry but wouldn't it be faster to ask the ips? if they can't fix it, then tell us what they told you, then maybe we can tell you if they're lying or not.

ISP dont give a shit if a customer is having issues getting speeds. They will through that "we offer up to" bull shit in your face. Most ISP's over sell what their network can handle. So when every one gets online at the same time the speeds drop. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

8 hours ago, Donut417 said:

ISP dont give a shit if a customer is having issues getting speeds. They will through that "we offer up to" bull shit in your face. Most ISP's over sell what their network can handle. So when every one gets online at the same time the speeds drop. 

if its the isp fault then there is nothing op can do about it, that is the point of asking them but you wont know unless you try asking. are you really going to stay on this thread and try to help someone get to speed they can't even get?

1 hour ago, mad dudy said:

if its the isp fault then there is nothing op can do about it, that is the point of asking them but you wont know unless you try asking. are you really going to stay on this thread and try to help someone get to speed they can't even get?

Tech support reps are not very helpful when wanting the truth. Which is why I dont call Comcast when I have issues, I solve the issues myself or us the Comcast direct forum at DSLreports.com. The best thing to OP can do is call them out on Twitier and Facebook. When posts are public, company's are more willing to help At least it work for JazTwoCents with Frontier installing service. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Allo! I work for Uverse Fiber (Gigapower) and I have a pretty good understanding of how that system works. Its fiber into the GPON then its supposed to be cat 5e gigabit to your ONT port (red) on the RG (5268AC). The LAN ports are supposed to be Gigabit. I can tell you that the minimum acceptable speed for the 1G/1G connection is supposed to be 600Mbps down although I'm not sure about the upload speed, I do know that it is supposed to be over 100Mbps

On 3/12/2017 at 0:44 AM, fastcar123 said:

When I am at work tomorrow I could look at the throughput from the ONT to the RG for you

1 minute ago, MrDavid said:

When I am at work tomorrow I could look at the throughput from the ONT to the RG for you

that would be great actually. Thank you

think your getting ripped off, try living in Australia, Telstra owns the lines so the other ISP's have to rent the lines, since december this is what my nets been like.
i have continuely complained to my ISp about how Telstra fracked up the lines, then left.. IN DECEMBER!, and knowingly left it, as it was i only got like 4.6Mbps but 4.6 is alot ducking more then 1.42Mbps.

so do yourself a favor,  make sure the reputation of your ISP and line owner is a good one, if your lines are Flucked n they fix it. thats awesome. it be worth a few bucks more,

as for telstra, the lot of them need to talk a real bloody long was of a short pier, useless bunch of mouth breathing space wasting knuckle dragging back birth bastards, may they all root in hell with hitlers hair ass always in their face

thanks fuckwits.PNG

46 minutes ago, ArcThanatos said:

think your getting ripped off, try living in Australia, Telstra owns the lines so the other ISP's have to rent the lines, since december this is what my nets been like.
i have continuely complained to my ISp about how Telstra fracked up the lines, then left.. IN DECEMBER!, and knowingly left it, as it was i only got like 4.6Mbps but 4.6 is alot ducking more then 1.42Mbps.

so do yourself a favor,  make sure the reputation of your ISP and line owner is a good one, if your lines are Flucked n they fix it. thats awesome. it be worth a few bucks more,

as for telstra, the lot of them need to talk a real bloody long was of a short pier, useless bunch of mouth breathing space wasting knuckle dragging back birth bastards, may they all root in hell with hitlers hair ass always in their face

thanks fuckwits.PNG

While your post is informative, it is not applicable to the OP because the OP a) is in the US, and b) has FTTH. Your post is off-topic for this discussion.