AMD FX 9590 @5.1GHz runing not hot?

1.62 volts is way too high.  The 9590 is just a binned and overclocked 8350, but the reality is that they don't generally overclock more than the later 8350 chips anyway.

I have an 8350 with a custom water loop cooling it. 3 radiators and an EK water block.  I was originally going to water cool the GPU with this set-up also.  It's way overkill for just the CPU.

5.1 GHz is possible, I've done it and I've even done some serious stress testing but it's not 24/7 stable.  I never used more than ~1.575 V either.  Anything above ~1.51 and the heat starts pouring out.  This is on a sabertooth 990fx. 

And as others have mentioned these CPUs should not be operated at temperatures above 70 degrees celcius. Personally I aim for 65 max. The CPUs will also hard thermal throttle. So while you might boot at 5.1 GHz, if you actually look at your cores using HWmonitor, for example, you will see that some of your cores are dropping to zero percent utilization during a (real)  stress test.

I can almost guarantee that you are thermal throttling unless your temperatures are wrong, but with that voltage I'm sure it's right.  My 8350 is really tough.  During testing to find it's limits it rarely froze the computer, it would just start dropping off cores until it can manage the temperatures. 

3 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

Hmmm... I must be mixing up with LN2 chips I've seen (that were pathetic at overclocking) them... Lower max temps at higher TDPs? Well done AMD. 

The FX series does very well on LN2, 2 volts is fine according to AMD's own overclocking guide (on LN2 obviously) and they can hit well above 8ghz, as for the lower temperatures at higher TDPs, this is the same as the Phenom II series, and as you probably know they do not have onboard temperature sensors of any kind, but rather they use an algorithm to estimate temperature. My guess is that whenever they hit that temperature, (at their pre-defined voltages) they are hitting the TDP limit. But AMD was never actually very clear about this. (AMD for the record uses a harsh maximum TDP meaning when the cpu hits its max TDP it throttles hard, Intel on the other hand uses more of an average TDP rating, meaning in some application it can go above its rating.)

1 hour ago, TheRandomness said:

But the OP is using a 9590. 

yes...which mean his stock voltage is 1.5v but that does not make going up to 1.65v any safer...it's just that the CPU is maxed out already...doesn't magically add more headroom ;)

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR