Apogee Drive 2 and a delid 4790k - recommended?

4790k is getting too hot and shutting down with a noctua c14s. Already replaced the paste and it helped, but under log periods of load it still gets too hot. Ive had the drive 2 sitting around for a bit as I was originally going to use it but got lazy.

Can i use it with a delided cpu, and not break the cpu?

Thanks

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

3 minutes ago, goodtofufriday said:

4790k is getting too hot and shutting down with a noctua c14s. Already replaced the paste and it helped, but under log periods of load it still gets too hot. Ive had the drive 2 sitting around for a bit as I was originally going to use it but got lazy.

Can i use it with a delided cpu, and not break the cpu?

Thanks

Delidding a cpu will not change it's compatability with anything, since you're essentially just changing the thermal paste under the 'mini-heatsink' on the chip. So as long as you're careful to not cause any damage t break the cpu in the delidding process you'll be just fine.

why would delidding the cpu be necessary?Can't you just slap the cooler on there?

p.s. i don't know anything about water-cooling.

6 minutes ago, Amotthejoker said:

why would delidding the cpu be necessary?Can't you just slap the cooler on there?

p.s. i don't know anything about water-cooling.

4700 series cpus are known to have bad TIm between the lid and the cpu die. Im concerned that tightening the water block too tightly will break the cpu die. it is also heavy as it has a built in pump

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

2 minutes ago, goodtofufriday said:

4700 series cpus are known to have bad TIm between the lid and the cpu die. Im concerned that tightening the water block too tightly will break the cpu die. it is also heavy as it has a built in pump

I have a 4690k with a seidon 240m water cooler, and I admit you had to screw it on TIGHT. I seriously felt like I was going to push trough my motherboard, so I see your concerns. Still though, everything's been working fine for about a year now, OC'd to 4.7.