RX480 + K2000 vs GTX 1080 ti

anonvx

Hi, I want to build a gaming/editing pc and cant decide on a GPU. I want to have a dedicated gpu for rendering. I was looking at a RX480 and a NVidia K2000 or a GTX 1080ti. My Processor was going to be either a 7 1800x or a I7-7700k. 

Victor F. 

My hobbies include: machining, electronics, radiation, and guns

DESKTOP: CPU: Ryzen 5 3600  Motherboard: Asus ROG B550-I RAM: Corsair Vegenence DDR4-3000 SSD: Samsung 970 Pro GPU: MSI GTX1070 Ti Titanium CASE: NZXT H1

LAPTOP: Apple MacBook Pro i7, 16gb ram, 256gb ssd. (2018 model) 

CAMERA: Panasonic Lumix G85

PHONE: iPhone 7 

DRONE: Dji Mavic Pro

1080 ti and a 7700k. Maybe if you plan to stream then I would wait on the 6 core processors from AMD.

The geek himself.

9 minutes ago, Ausfernando said:

Gtx 1080 ti with 7700k believe me ryzen is not as good as an 7700k

7700k has better single core performance for gaming. Ryzen has more value for creation tasks, and still does well at gaming, just not AS well.

I would rather agree on what we share, than fight on what we don't. - Myself

FULL PC SPECS ON PROFILE https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/454099-thinkfreely/

6 minutes ago, Ausfernando said:

That would be true if he needed something strictly for gaming but for content creation Ryzen 7 will wipe the floor with the 7700K and it's not far behind in gaming either.

2 minutes ago, Arc_Jester said:

That would be true if he needed something strictly for gaming but for content creation Ryzen 7 will wipe the floor with the 7700K and it's not far behind in gaming either.

This is what everyone keeps just blowing over. For someone like me where I play at 4k there is almost 0 performance difference for Ryzen, its when your at the lower end 1080p when you start to bottleneck.

I would rather agree on what we share, than fight on what we don't. - Myself

FULL PC SPECS ON PROFILE https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/454099-thinkfreely/

2 minutes ago, Arc_Jester said:

On some games ryzen is 100 fps behind also if he is gaming and editing videos he is gonna need a better gaming cpus for not loosing performance when recording

Just now, Ausfernando said:

On some games ryzen is 100 fps behind also if he is gaming and editing videos he is gonna need a better gaming cpus for not loosing performance when recording

Yeah, that sounds like BS, what games are those? He won't be losing performance since benchmarks have shown that while the 7700K stutters once in a while Ryzen 7 does not, mainly because the CPU is underutilized.

3 hours ago, Ausfernando said:

100 fps? Citation is definitely needed for that claim. Or you're exaggerating greatly like a child.

6 hours ago, Ausfernando said:

For rendering I'd beg to differ though..

Considering that you're gaming and editing I'd say go for the 1800x and 1080ti. Sure the single core performance isn't as good but if you edit and game at the same time it'll be smoother on the 1800x. The pros of the 1800x out weigh the cons.

1 hour ago, Drenkai said:

Considering that you're gaming and editing I'd say go for the 1800x and 1080ti. Sure the single core performance isn't as good but if you edit and game at the same time it'll be smoother on the 1800x. The pros of the 1800x out weigh the cons.

Okay, but thats not really what this thread is about. 

Victor F. 

DESKTOP: CPU: Ryzen 5 3600  Motherboard: Asus ROG B550-I RAM: Corsair Vegenence DDR4-3000 SSD: Samsung 970 Pro GPU: MSI GTX1070 Ti Titanium CASE: NZXT H1

Definitely Ryzen, but check out 1700. PCPer OCd it to 4GHz and it was beating 1800x. That's a $170 to save. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

1 hour ago, Bouzoo said:

Definitely Ryzen, but check out 1700. PCPer OCd it to 4GHz and it was beating 1800x. That's a $170 to save. 

@anonvx Check this.

I've not seen the performance difference between the 1700 and 7700k in gpu rendering speeds because everyone were just using the 6900k and 1800x for comparison.

You can ask someone in this forum to check this for you.

It's a rough time for the CPUs right now but if I had this choice to make I would probably go with the 1700 and OC the crap out of it.

If you are going to play on something more demanding than 1080p the both CPUs are pretty tight right now. 

Hope this helps you at least a bit.

Okay, Thanks. I will be gaming at 1440p 144hz. I won't be recording gameplay though at least I don't think I will. I will mostly be editing 4k video with videos up to 1 hour long. Here is my pc part picker list https://pcpartpicker.com/list/W9Gz9W I will replace the gtx 1080 with a gtx 1080ti.

Victor F. 

The EVGA 1080ti FTW 3 looks pretty sick and it should OC like hell. About the 1440p monitor - have you considered some of the 27 inch options? It looks better that way than the 24 inch ones.

About video editing - I would go with the 1700 but if you prioritize the gaming - the 7700k is the king right now.

If you can wait for a month you can check the progress with the 1700 gaming performance and if it gets better - the 7700k will be the limiting factor for your rendering work.