Anyone got experience of my specs on some games?

Charlie Cullen

Hi, I just got my new Rx480 8GB Strix card, and I have an i3 6100 and 8gb of Ram. Some games I'm thinking of getting are: Rise of the Tomb Raider, Fallout 4 and probably the Witcher 3. Has anyone got any experience of these games at similar specs or have any idea what sort of settings/fps I'll get? (I am planning on an upgrade to an i5 somewhere down the line.)

I dont, but I am fairly certain you shouldnt have a problem with Fallout 4 (great game btw), on medium high settings 1080p, though pushing it much further would be a mistake. Not sure though.

4 minutes ago, TheCatShuriken said:

I dont, but I am fairly certain you shouldnt have a problem with Fallout 4 (great game btw), on medium high settings 1080p, though pushing it much further would be a mistake. Not sure though.

Ok, thank you.

used to own a 6100/(still own)R9 290. Ran GTA V high settings just fine. All of those should work a ok

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

Just now, DarkBlade2117 said:

used to own a 6100/(still own)R9 290. Ran GTA V high settings just fine. All of those should work a ok

Yeah, GTA is one I already have, on online the i3 does bottleneck quite a bit, hence why I'm asking for other games.

You might wanna upgrade ram with 8 extra gigs and if you get the i5 you'll be A-ok(the witcher 3 though,go with medium settings,my 1060-i7 gets me 40 fps in novigrad on ultra)

Witcher 3 should be fine at lower settings and be sure to turn off the GameWorks crap because it won't play nice with your AMD card.

On 3/7/2017 at 7:16 PM, Charlie Cullen said:

Hi, I just got my new Rx480 8GB Strix card, and I have an i3 6100 and 8gb of Ram. Some games I'm thinking of getting are: Rise of the Tomb Raider, Fallout 4 and probably the Witcher 3. Has anyone got any experience of these games at similar specs or have any idea what sort of settings/fps I'll get? (I am planning on an upgrade to an i5 somewhere down the line.)

Hey! I am also looking to get the Asus RX480 Strix OC. Would you recommend it? Is the cooling good and is it quiet?

Thanks,

Tissue :D

1 minute ago, Tissue said:

Hey! I am also looking to get the Asus RX480 Strix OC. Would you recommend it? Is the cooling good and is it quiet?

Thanks,

Tissue :D

Mine stays under 55 degrees under 100% load, and unless you really push it it stays pretty quiet. I also have mine set to not even switch it's fans on till 40 degrees so unless gaming it is completely silent. You can also overclock it a bit but to be honest the stock clock is on the higher end of 480s already.

1 hour ago, Charlie Cullen said:

Mine stays under 55 degrees under 100% load, and unless you really push it it stays pretty quiet. I also have mine set to not even switch it's fans on till 40 degrees so unless gaming it is completely silent. You can also overclock it a bit but to be honest the stock clock is on the higher end of 480s already.

Cheers thanks a million mate! Look forward to getting it! :D

What resolution will you be running at? You'll kill anything you throw at it in 1080p (provided a few tweaks here and there)

On 3/7/2017 at 11:27 AM, Charlie Cullen said:

Yeah, GTA is one I already have, on online the i3 does bottleneck quite a bit, hence why I'm asking for other games.

Out of curiosity, what kind of framerates do you see? My friend with i3-4150 and R9 270 has abysmal fps in GTA 5 (like average 45) while my friend with i3-4150 and GTX 560 can get 60+ lol. Not sure if the combination of GTA not optimized with AMD cards and AMD's drivers using more CPU just makes good performance on his setup impossible, or if there's something funky behind the scenes that can resolve it.

Just now, Hiebly said:

Out of curiosity, what kind of framerates do you see? My friend with i3-4150 and R9 270 has abysmal fps in GTA 5 (like average 45) while my friend with i3-4150 and GTX 560 can get 60+ lol

Constant 60 when not in City and driving fast. Drops to 55-50 when driving/flying fast through city.

Just now, Charlie Cullen said:

Constant 60 when not in City and driving fast. Drops to 55-50 when driving/flying fast through city.

Okay sounds like the i3 + AMD card just isn't a nice combo for GTA... I can chock up that difference to the performance gap between the 4150 and 6100

14 minutes ago, Hiebly said:

Okay sounds like the i3 + AMD card just isn't a nice combo for GTA... I can chock up that difference to the performance gap between the 4150 and 6100

The i3 with any card will have these results. GTA doesn't like dual cores, hyperthreaded or not. My GPU remains at about 60% usage on high whereas my CPU is at 100 all the time.

48 minutes ago, Charlie Cullen said:

The i3 with any card will have these results. GTA doesn't like dual cores, hyperthreaded or not. My GPU remains at about 60% usage on high whereas my CPU is at 100 all the time.

Runs beautifully for my friend with the 4150 and GTX 560 when he had it, and now with the 760