What does a sound card do and why do I want one?

What does a sound card do and why do I want one?

A sound card provides output for sound. That's why it's not called a network card. Do you need one? Probably not. Just use your motherboard audio. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

A sound card (theoretically) provides a cleaner and better sound than onboard audio (or at least that's how they're marketed), often with a built in AMP that is more powerful than the onboard one, allowing for higher impedance audio devices to be driven. 

Practically, most recent boards, other than the lower end boards, tend to have pretty good onboard audio, kind of removing the need for a soundcard unless the onboard audio breaks or you need support for 7.1 and your system doesn't have it and other similar situations. If you're wanting cleaner audio, you'd mainly be wanting an external DAC and AMP. 

Based on videos I've seen, a secondary PCI sound card is for audiophiles who apparently think it makes a difference. You might need one if you have an external mixer or something. 

But if you're a general user who likes playing games, listening to music, you probably won't notice a difference, because motherboard manufacturers have come a long way with on-board sound.

AsRock X99 Taichi MB // Intel Core i7-6800k Overclocked @ 4.0GHZ // Noctua NH-U14S Cooler // Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 // EVGA GeForce 980Ti SC+ // Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD // 2TB WD Gold HDD // Corsair RM850 PSU // Corsair Obsidian Series 750D // Asus VG248QE 144Hz

****************************************************************************************************************************************************

GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H LGA 1155 Intel Z77 // Intel Core i5-3570k Overclocked @ 4.2GHZ // Noctua NH-L9x65 Cooler // Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 // EVGA GeForce 960 // 250 GB WD Blue HDD // EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G3, 80+ GOLD // Corsair Carbide Series 100R

Just now, Chuck Howes said:

Doesn't a sound card provide better audio though?

It CAN. But for most general uses, you don't need one. Motherboard audio is perfectly fine for media, games, etc. 

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

4 minutes ago, Chuck Howes said:

Don't forget best answer. 

U dont need one. Any recent mobo has audio chip alreadt on it.

It can improve the quality depending on how much you spend. It can change the way audio sounds (you can watch youtube audio card comparison videos).

For average user there is no benefit. For music producer there will be but with a masssive price tag. 

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

I use a sound card for multiple discrete outputs.

I.e. Play game sounds through speakers and voice chat through headphones

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

last time i had a dedicated soundcard it was on my 486. It came in an upgrade package with a 2X speed cd rom drive and encyclopedia Encarta. Are you using a 486? you don't need one unless you have really awesome expensive speakers and very high quality audio media

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

6 minutes ago, Yoinkerman said:

I use a sound card for multiple discrete outputs.

I.e. Play game sounds through speakers and voice chat through headphones

you need a sound card for that? I can do that through software. I think that was introduced with Vista

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

A sound card, is like a graphic card... It features a SPU (Sound Processing Unit), and other components to process and convert the audio from its digital form to a analogue form so that speakers or headphones or earphones can be used so that you can hear it.

Many years ago, pretty much all motherboard features a sound card that is integrated. In fact, thee days, it is so integrated, that it is usually, mostly, a tiny sound chip that does all the work (with the help of your CPU to process things). So yes, you can call it a sound chip.

So now, like graphics cards, you have the integrated variety, like Intel integrated sound, and you  have the dedicated solution, like Nvidia GeForce graphics card solutions.  But unlike Graphics cards, you also have external solutions that runs over USB from your PC to the device. It is often called DAC+Amp (Digital to Analogue converter + Amplifier). Why a different name? I don't really know, but I think it comes down to which way you come from. If you are an audio person and know nothing about computers, you'll call this box a DAC+Amp box, if you come from a computer background, then it will be a Sound card, or external sound card.

Do you need one?

These days, and many years since, processing audio via the CPU is ridiculously easy. You don't even see a spike of 1%. So there is no performance impact.

So why would one need one? Sound quality, If all you care about is your gaming headset, or play YouTube music because you just don't care about sound quality, or Skype, or Windows sounds... basically anything where you don't care about sound quality because you don't have the headphone or speakers to enjoy it, then yea you don't need it. Getting a $100+ sound card but your speakers or headphones are under $100, you will most likely hear no difference. Note: Many headsets are on USB, because it has its own sound card built-in because most motherboard (including many premium ones) features $0.50 to $2 sound chip 'cause no reviewer talks about the sound card, so no one cares, so that you have better sound experience.

If you have a very expensive headphone or speakers, and you seek the best sound quality, for a life like experience, a sound card (internal or external) is a worth expense (assuming you have the funds)

More than sound quality, a dedicated sound card (internal or external) also features isolation from the electric interference of your system. That also includes using the power and ground directly from your Power Supply (or uses its own power via a power adapter, if its an external one). This separation give you a clean, static free sound at all times.

If you wonder what I have. I have the Audio-Technica ATH-M40x, and a I have a dedicated sound card. I can't stand onboard sound solutions. I live with what I have with my laptop, or phone, but when I go on my PC I want the full rich audio experience, and getting a nice clean, vivid and rich sound, which I notice very much. It is a must for me. Games sound better, my music (which I listen a lot of) sound better... even if it is 192kbps MP3's (although, of course, higher the better). The nice things with sound cards, is that you don't need to update them every now and then.. the only time you want to change it is either because it is so old that there are no drivers for and can't make older Windows drivers work with the latest version of Windows anymore. Or it broke in some fashion.. or you genuinely seek a better sound. I have the ASUS Xonar STX, which at the time of release was a great solution. But today, you can find excellent and cheaper external sound cards (external DACs+Amp devices). The audio community here can help you out looking for something, if you seek a better sound experience, and you have the budget (audio is expensive, so you need to think it through). Personally, I see my setup as entry level setup (difference in sound improvement is audible, but limited). They are far better headphones.. I got what I could afford.

Every time I build a computer, I try the onboard sound card, even those claiming with isolation and fancy things, they are all not good. I end up putting my sound card or buying one if I need one. I always had a sound card...I think my first one was the Creative Sound Blaster 16, which was a sound card that was longer than high-end gaming graphics card of today (yup, time have changed).

NOTE: Don't get fooled with inexpensive sound cards... those are a waste of money. You can consider them only if your motherboard one is broken or something, and you really need anything to get you going. Those cheap sound card are usually the same thing that you have in your motherboard. The ones that looks more like a fancier card but still cheap where they don't have any shielding and dedicated power, will give you minimal sound improvements over good motherboard sound solution. You'll get your cleaner sound, you have a more premium sound chip, but nothing major.. you might not hear much difference.

Sadly, everything in audio is costly for some reason, and it requires spending a lot for a hope for some great sound experience.

If you want to know amazing sound experience, go to professional audio shop, and ask to listen to STAX electromagnetic large headphones (or what they have). They'll put classical or orchestrated music usually. Which is what you want. Jazz, Classical, and orchestral music are real benchmark of sound, as you have all range of sound frequency, and you need speakers that can product a tight sound at all these frequencies. Treble, mid, base, everything in between, and the sensation of reverberation. You'll be on the floor with a seizure. And when you'll go home and listen to the same music, you'll start opening your equalizer on your PC and start playing with sliders for hours as it will sound wrong, until you eventually realize that it is hopeless, your sound gear is crap... and what you listen cost $3000 and requires $1000 special amp, plus the rest... :) Anyway.. that was my experience.. except the seizure..that was for humor purposes. :D