What is your Favorite Professional Headshot??

I was just asked to do the official head shots for a President of a large university. They said they wanted something "Unique, but not too out there".

I am looking for some inspiration for this photo session and I'd like to see what your favorite head shot, it can be taken by a famous photographer or yourself!

But, don't post Steve Jobs :D

This guy is amazing. Always greets tired eyed students with a smile during the early dusk commute.

Source: http://buzzer.translink.ca/2016/01/our-breaking-bad-bus-operator/

imagesYBAAQH3Q.jpg

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

19 minutes ago, mama_fluxus said:

[...] a large University President. [...]

That's not very nice... besides, how does their weight matter for this?

xD /s 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

44 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

That's not very nice... besides, how does their weight matter for this?

xD /s 

Fixed it LOL

50 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

This guy is amazing. Always greets tired eyed students with a smile during the early dusk commute.

Source: http://buzzer.translink.ca/2016/01/our-breaking-bad-bus-operator/

imagesYBAAQH3Q.jpg

This is an ok photo, but I need something completely different. It definitely needs to be business professional, I'm just trying to add that little bit of creative flair. 

Search for Peter Hurley or Dylan Patrick. I don't know many but these are two I know that I defentivly think are good. 

FX-8350 GTX760 16GB RAM 250GB SSD + 1TB HDD

"How many roads must a man walk down?" "42"

3 hours ago, mama_fluxus said:

I was just asked to do the official head shots for a President of a large university. They said they wanted something "Unique, but not too out there".

I am looking for some inspiration for this photo session and I'd like to see what your favorite head shot, it can be taken by a famous photographer or yourself!

But, don't post Steve Jobs :D

Does the university president want the photo taken in his/her office, outside the office somewhere in the hallway or other location within the university or outdoors?  If he/she isn't sure, I suggest you take several photos in different locations and show them and let him/her choose the right one.

There are several styles for poses. 

• The body turned a bit at an angle to the camera but with the head turned facing the lens.  Perhaps with the president sitting on the edge of a desk.
  • A straight on body and head facing the lens shot.
  • Perhaps something very casual.

The important thing is the type of mood/atmosphere they want the photo to have.  A very casual informal, casual formal, very classic formal, so forth.

You can find inspiration and examples online if you use a Google image search.  Here are examples for females

https://www.google.com/search?site=&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1920&bih=1112&q=headshot+poses&oq=headshot+poses&gs_l=img.3..0l9.497.4079.0.4257.16.15.0.0.0.0.118.953.11j2.13.0....0...1.1.64.img..3.13.951.0..35i39k1.MpAbQQLWQPI#tbm=isch&q=headshot+poses+female&*

And for males

https://www.google.com/search?site=&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1920&bih=1112&q=headshot+poses&oq=headshot+poses&gs_l=img.3..0l9.497.4079.0.4257.16.15.0.0.0.0.118.953.11j2.13.0....0...1.1.64.img..3.13.951.0..35i39k1.MpAbQQLWQPI#tbm=isch&q=headshot+poses+male&*

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

13 hours ago, xQubeZx said:

Search for Peter Hurley or Dylan Patrick. I don't know many but these are two I know that I defentivly think are good. 

A majority of what I shoot for head shots is in the "Dylan Patrick Style", I like the look a lot but it doesn't fit this situation. This picture is a pretty common setup for me.

eli-4.jpg.e25fce089b23807ee3759161acc2fbfe.jpg

11 hours ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

Does the university president want the photo taken in his/her office, outside the office somewhere in the hallway or other location within the university or outdoors?  If he/she isn't sure, I suggest you take several photos in different locations and show them and let him/her choose the right one.

There are several styles for poses. 

• The body turned a bit at an angle to the camera but with the head turned facing the lens.  Perhaps with the president sitting on the edge of a desk.
  • A straight on body and head facing the lens shot.
  • Perhaps something very casual.

The important thing is the type of mood/atmosphere they want the photo to have.  A very casual informal, casual formal, very classic formal, so forth.

After lots of looking I really like this pose and angle. I'll probably shoot it like this in his office with his large book cases in the background.

I'm really not sure how I'll set up the lighting for this to prevent weird arm shadows. I usually use 4/5 youngnuo 560's  with shoot through or reflective umbrellas.

4b4046d2e3e8e781c836b3797a37be80.jpg

Looks like I'll need to set up and practice! :D 

11 minutes ago, mama_fluxus said:

Reflectors, bounce the flash off walls.  If you have a set of wireless transceivers, place a speedlight or two outside the window, and with a diffuser or diffusing curtain covering the window have the speedlight(s) fire off into the room.

Umbrellas are OK but they ain't enough and in some cases are next to useless.  They're not suited for every situation.

FYI, I love using wireless transceivers and have a collection of PocketWizards.

Good book to read:

https://www.amazon.com/Sketching-Light-Illustrated-Possibilities-Voices/dp/0321700902/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1488921371&sr=8-1&keywords=sketching+light

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

On 3/7/2017 at 4:18 PM, AkiraDaarkst said:

Reflectors, bounce the flash off walls.  If you have a set of wireless transceivers, place a speedlight or two outside the window, and with a diffuser or diffusing curtain covering the window have the speedlight(s) fire off into the room.

Umbrellas are OK but they ain't enough and in some cases are next to useless.  They're not suited for every situation.

FYI, I love using wireless transceivers and have a collection of PocketWizards.

Good book to read:

https://www.amazon.com/Sketching-Light-Illustrated-Possibilities-Voices/dp/0321700902/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1488921371&sr=8-1&keywords=sketching+light

I have a ton of different diffusion material. Lots of different umbrellas, diffusion blankets, bounce boards, and soft boxes. My favorite is a photoflex 72inch umbrella I also have grids for the hard hair light that I like.

I have all yongnuo 560 IV's so I use the built in receiver with the TX-560, witch is surprisingly good with fantastic range.