How Do You Backup Your RAID

4 minutes ago, Corrupt_Liberty said:

Using Seagate Barracuda ST2000LM015.  The main problem is the controller reports the temperatures wrong for the drives.  It thinks they are over 60c and ramps my fans to full speed.  SMART reports 25-26c.  Apparently it's a known problem with "unofficial drives" on the p410 controller.  HP and their proprietary crap.

Ah, that sucks. I wonder if it does that even with enterprise drives though.

Just now, scottyseng said:

Ah, that sucks. I wonder if it does that even with enterprise drives though.

Not according to some of the forum postings I've read.  For now I've cut the PWM lines on the fans to the motherboard and run them through an Arduino Pro Mini.  I've got a potentiometer on the front of my case I can use to set fan speeds manually so I can sleep at night.  I have plans on writing a script to monitor the SMART data, CPU and RAM temps and set my own fan profiles through the Arduino...  I just haven't quite figured out how yet. Lol.  So for now I monitor the temps manually whenever I'm doing any heavy processing.  Although I'm not too concerned.  I had Handbrake encoding a Blu-ray while Plex was transcoding two streams and I never saw CPU temps above 50c.  

Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

4 minutes ago, Corrupt_Liberty said:

-snip-

I give you props for your dedication. I kind of change the high RPM stock fans to Be Quiet Fans, though my LSI RAID card knows the right temps of the drives. The WD Re drives I own do run really hot sadly. They actually will get to 50C+ My Reds are cool by comparison.

I'm surprised you didn't snap and get a different RAID card. haha

1 minute ago, scottyseng said:

I give you props for your dedication. I kind of change the high RPM stock fans to Be Quiet Fans, though my LSI RAID card knows the right temps of the drives. The WD Re drives I own do run really hot sadly. They actually will get to 50C+ My Reds are cool by comparison.

I can't easily change the fans because they are proprietary 5-pin.  I think the drives stay cool because they are 7mm laptop drives in a space designed for 15mm 15,000 rpm SAS drives.  Plenty of room for airflow between the drives. 

1 minute ago, scottyseng said:

I'm surprised you didn't snap and get a different RAID card. haha

I was on the verge.  If the Arduino thing hadn't worked out...

I do like the iLo monitoring and remote desktop functions though.  Comes in handy especially since the server is connected to my TV and hidden in a closet.  It's a pain to use that way so I just remote in either with the remote desktop or SSH.

Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

7 minutes ago, Corrupt_Liberty said:

-snip-

Ah, hate the proprietary fan headers. Supermicro uses standard 4pin for me at least.

Oh, laptop drives are quite a bit cooler.

Happy it's working out for you so far though.