Mouse without Borders: A Free Synergy Alternative for Windows

After seeing Synergy's spot on the EVGA iCX video released today, I ventured out to find a free alternative since I'm very low on money atm. I found Mouse without Borders, which works flawlessly between my desktop & Surface pro. I know this has been posted on the forum in the past, but I bet there are many people that don't know this software exists. 

Link: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35460

But of course if you need to go between different OS' and you aren't cheap like me:  http://symless.com/synergy/linus

Intel Core i5 4690K 4.2GHz | ASRock Z97 Extreme4 | Kingston HyperX 16GB DDR3 | EVGA 960 4GB SSC SLI | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB | EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750B | Corsair Hydro Series H50

Or something like a KVM switch

4 minutes ago, joshforester said:

After seeing Synergy's spot on the EVGA iCX video released today, I ventured out to find a free alternative since I'm very low on money atm. I found Mouse without Borders, which works flawlessly between my desktop & Surface pro. I know this has been posted on the forum in the past, but I bet there are many people that don't know this software exists. 

But of course if you need to go between different OS' and you aren't cheap like me:  http://symless.com/synergy/linus

ive tried this before, how in the world did you get it to work? i put the codes between my laptop and desktop, both windows 10, and i never was able to get it to work without errors

Just now, ZeusXI said:

ive tried this before, how in the world did you get it to work? i put the codes between my laptop and desktop, both windows 10, and i never was able to get it to work without errors

I installed on my desktop first then installed on the second machine and used the code off of that. Both running the same build and version of Windows 10 Pro. 

Intel Core i5 4690K 4.2GHz | ASRock Z97 Extreme4 | Kingston HyperX 16GB DDR3 | EVGA 960 4GB SSC SLI | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB | EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750B | Corsair Hydro Series H50

Just now, joshforester said:

I installed on my desktop first then installed on the second machine and used the code off of that. Both running the same build and version of Windows 10 Pro. 

i may have to try it again since my laptop doesnt have a mouse (yet) and i dont like using the trackpad

1 minute ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Or something like a KVM switch

More cables and the cost? Why bother? But yes if it's machines that may not be that close to another this would be a better setup. 

It works for me. I've used it at school to control my laptop from my desktop. Only issue is that it's highly susceptible to lag, especially when on public networks.

Main Rig: CPU i7-4790k / MOBO Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) / RAM 16GB HyperX Fury 1866 MHz / CPU COOLER Dark Rock 3 / GPU Asus GTX 1070 Strix  / CASE Evolv ATX Tempered Glass / SSD Crucial MX200 250GB / HDD  WD Black 1TB + WD Blue 3TB / PSU EVGA 750G2 / DISPLAYS 2x Dell U2414h / KEYBOARD Corsair K70 RGB Cherry MX Brown / MOUSE Logitech G602 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 / i7-6700HQ, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, GTX 960m, 1080P Display

Cheap Windows/Office Keys

11 minutes ago, ZeusXI said:

You have to be on the same local network connection. Like the same router.

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

Just now, Daveeede said:

It works for me. I've used it at school to control my laptop from my desktop. Only issue is that it's highly susceptible to lag, especially when on public networks.

I would strongly advise against using mouse without borders on public connections for all sorts of reasons.

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

1 hour ago, Orangeator said:

I would strongly advise against using mouse without borders on public connections for all sorts of reasons.

Well its though a vpn. and technically it is is a secured network... just used by a lot of people.

Main Rig: CPU i7-4790k / MOBO Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) / RAM 16GB HyperX Fury 1866 MHz / CPU COOLER Dark Rock 3 / GPU Asus GTX 1070 Strix  / CASE Evolv ATX Tempered Glass / SSD Crucial MX200 250GB / HDD  WD Black 1TB + WD Blue 3TB / PSU EVGA 750G2 / DISPLAYS 2x Dell U2414h / KEYBOARD Corsair K70 RGB Cherry MX Brown / MOUSE Logitech G602 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 / i7-6700HQ, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, GTX 960m, 1080P Display

Cheap Windows/Office Keys

On 3/6/2017 at 4:59 AM, joshforester said:

After seeing Synergy's spot on the EVGA iCX video released today, I ventured out to find a free alternative...

Ah, shame we couldn't convince you to buy Synergy. If we released a no-frills free version of Synergy which didn't have clipboard sharing, would you opt to use Synergy instead of MWB?

On 3/7/2017 at 9:06 AM, Nick Bolton said:

Ah, shame we couldn't convince you to buy Synergy. If we released a no-frills free version of Synergy which didn't have clipboard sharing, would you opt to use Synergy instead of MWB?

I wouldn't mind trying it, wouldn't really help me as much since I use the clipboard feature a lot. Synergy isn't geared towards me since I only run Windows machines. Now my former IT boss that had Mac & Windows machines running could easily use it. Thanks for the question though! 

• 1 year later...
On 3/5/2017 at 10:59 PM, joshforester said:

Thank you! Synergy was not working for me at all.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/30/2018 at 5:41 AM, omnisphere said:

Synergy was not working for me at all.

Sorry about that. What problem did you have? Did you raise a support ticket?

• 7 months later...

Thanks. Mousewithoutborders works on 2 windows 7 machine. I wonder what Symless has to offer above mouse without borders.

update: I do notice some lag on mouse movements on the client computer. Gets really bad when you are transferring files between the two computers which is understandable.