Aftermarket cooler for i5-6500

themoose5

I've got an i5-6500 on a H170 chipset board that can't be overclocked. I am currently still using the stock Intel CPU cooler that came with the 6500. Is it worth the extra money to buy something like the Hyper 212 evo to cool my cpu or is the stock cooler fine until I upgrade to something overclockable? 

I'm not seeing any thermal issues, I was just curious about the necessity of an aftermarket cooler.

No. Not needed unless the noise bothers you

i mean a 212 will be quieter but thats all your going to get out of it yes lower temps but it makes no difference tbh

international racing driver

My Build

i5-7600k

hyper x fury 16gb (2133)mhz

asus strix 1070 

CM 212x

asus z270-p

corsair 550w psu

agon 1440p 144hz tn monitor

corsair strafe mx silent KB

corsair void rbg (wired)

razer mamba te with firefly mouse pat

ps4 controller using ds4 windows

2 minutes ago, themoose5 said:

I've got an i5-6500 on a H170 chipset board that can't be overclocked. I am currently still using the stock Intel CPU cooler that came with the 6500. Is it worth the extra money to buy something like the Hyper 212 evo to cool my cpu or is the stock cooler fine until I upgrade to something overclockable? 

I'm not seeing any thermal issues, I was just curious about the necessity of an aftermarket cooler.

The stock cooler is fine, wait until you get something overclockable then worry about getting an aftermarket cooler, for you're cpu the stock fan is fine :) 

Extra cooling is always useful to help your CPU turbo up.  Quiet is also a really nice plus.  I recommend the Cryorig H7.

You don't need an aftermarket cooler for that CPU, just use the stock one. 

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

14 minutes ago, robertpartridge said:

Extra cooling is always useful to help your CPU turbo up.  Quiet is also a really nice plus.  I recommend the Cryorig H7.

The 6500 can maintain the max turbo without going above 55-60 degrees all day long on the stock cooler. Skylake and Kaby lake non-k i5s are super efficient.

Home PC: i5 6402P | Kingston HyperX 8GBx2 | Gigabyte G1 gaming GTX 1060 | Kingston UV400 240GB | WD blue 1TB Gigabyte H110m-S2 Cooler Master B500 v2

Laptop: Lenovo Yoga 710(Kaby Lake)

Phone: Oneplus 3

Tablet: iPad air 2

On 5.3.2017 at 7:46 PM, robertpartridge said:

Turbo is stock feature. Intel wouldn't supply stock coolers if they couldn't keep up with Turbo'd CPUs. That said, my 4770K uses only 1.1V while turboing. Which is .2V less than max recommended voltage.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv