Short question about DVI-D

Go to solution Solved by Glenwing,
50 minutes ago, apaydinabdul said:

Short question:

I want to use a DVI-D dual link connection for 75hz gaming, do ALL dvi-d ports on a motherboard/GPU allow DVI-D dual link connections? Or does my DVI-D port have to be special or something? I've seen on pictures that DVI-D dual link uses 6 more pins than a normal DVI-D cable.

Thanks in advance.

All motherboard devices (and output devices in general) have Dual-Link DVI, that I know of. No one puts Single-Link DVI ports on anything except monitors when their specs are within Single-Link DVI limits (and even then they use Dual-Link connectors so DL cables will still fit).

Short question:

I want to use a DVI-D dual link connection for 75hz gaming, do ALL dvi-d ports on a motherboard/GPU allow DVI-D dual link connections? Or does my DVI-D port have to be special or something? I've seen on pictures that DVI-D dual link uses 6 more pins than a normal DVI-D cable.

Thanks in advance.

not all DVI-D are dual link, there is single link and dual link DVI-D

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

12 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

not all DVI-D are dual link, there is single link and dual link DVI-D

26 minutes ago, apaydinabdul said:

Short question:

Thanks in advance.

Please read the bold text..

5 minutes ago, apaydinabdul said:

Please read the bold text..

well the answer to that question is no

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

50 minutes ago, apaydinabdul said:

Short question:

Thanks in advance.

All motherboard devices (and output devices in general) have Dual-Link DVI, that I know of. No one puts Single-Link DVI ports on anything except monitors when their specs are within Single-Link DVI limits (and even then they use Dual-Link connectors so DL cables will still fit).

Unless your GPU is ancient, it should use dual-link. Not all of them are, but if it was made within the last decade, it's almost certainly going to use dual link. 

2 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

well the answer to that question is no

You're such a funny guy. Really.

2 hours ago, Glenwing said:

That second thing you say is true, didn't know why I hadn't thought about that! Thx man.

1 hour ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Unless your GPU is ancient, it should use dual-link. Not all of them are, but if it was made within the last decade, it's almost certainly going to use dual link. 

Well, the GPU is good. I was just wondering if my monitor would support it, but it does. Thanks anyway!

On 2017-03-05 at 1:04 AM, Glenwing said:

i have sevral GPUs(well i sold most of them already) that have single link on them, my GTX 660 FTW has a single link DIV-D, and i think my 970 has one aswell(havent checked recently though)

Builds:

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

i have sevral GPUs(well i sold most of them already) that have single link on them, my GTX 660 FTW has a single link DIV-D, and i think my 970 has one aswell(havent checked recently though)

I'm getting NVIDIA Pascal. So that's OK.

7 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Yeah, I know there were a few XFX AMD cards as well, but on the whole it's pretty unusual.