Which CPU for Gaming and Streaming?

Hi,

I am looking to get a new CPU I already have the ram which is Gskill ddr4 3000mhz trident Z but I can't decide on the cpu I'm looking at either the 7700k, 6850k or the 6900k

What i'm thinking is it worth going with a 6900k not many games really benefit from the extra cores over a standard i7 and by the time games do benefit from it you will probably be able to pick up 8 core cpu's for the price of a quad core but I might be wrong. I looked at Zen but the single core performance isn't that great compared to the 6850k or even 6900k and doesn't come close to the 7700k so any recommendations please guys.

Oh I will also be using 4 sticks of ram, a single GPU which I already have the only part I need is the CPU and motherboard but I will choose a motherboard once I have decided on a CPU  

5820K maybe? It is cheaper, performs quite well in games and has pretty good streaming performance as well..

If you don't care so much about the stream's quality, get the 7700K and use Intel's quicksync for streaming.. 

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

Just now, PCGuy_5960 said:

5820K maybe? It is cheaper, performs quite well in games and has pretty good streaming performance as well..

If you don't care so much about the stream's quality, get the 7700K and use Intel's quicksync for streaming.. 

hmmm I usually use the h264 codec and a 2800 bitrate 

1 minute ago, MekaStrix said:

hmmm I usually use the h264 codec and a 2800 bitrate 

If you can get the 6900K, get it. If you think that it is too expensive, get the 5820K and overclock it :D

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

Just now, PCGuy_5960 said:

If you can get the 6900K, get it. If you think that it is too expensive, get the 5820K and overclock it :D

I can get a 6900k for £700 

Just now, MekaStrix said:

IMO, get it, it is an amazing CPU for gaming and streaming at the same time!

2 minutes ago, MekaStrix said:

Probably the best option, but sadly not the cheapest.

The 5820K is pretty capable as well when overclocked. The 6850K is also quite nice.

Just now, AceTakerV8 said:

Isn't a R7 1800X cheaper then that? And offers close to the same amount of performance in multi-threading? I would understand If you have an Intel motherboard too... but If not, the R7 processor is a good bet. 

yeah it's £480 for the 1800x but it performs the same as i5's in games 

Just now, AceTakerV8 said:

It's a different story when streaming AND playing games. That's when Ryzen shines. It's meant for streamers, and workstations. Not for pure gamers.

I play games more than I stream so gaming is first for me then streaming I work a lot so I only stream occasionally for fun 

2 minutes ago, AceTakerV8 said:

Understandable. If you can wait a little longer, wait for Ryzen 5, they might do a bit better in terms of gaming. If it's good, it would be worth the wait. But I totally understand your situation.

I wonder if the 1800x will get better frame rates once optimization has been done with games, to be honest I game at 1440p and all the results i've seen have been 1080p so it might be a different story for 1440p I do like the AM4 Hero board from Asus looks quite nice maybe even one of the nicest boards i've seen apart from the edition 10 x99 but that board is over the top 

1 minute ago, AceTakerV8 said:

1440p and 4K results are alot more closer due to it being less dependent on the CPU, I think I saw the 7700K neck and neck with the 1700 in a few videos at 1440p.

But as graphics cards get better, like Vega. They'll offer more frames at higher resolutions and put more stress on the CPU. So todays 1080p numbers matter looking forward. 

If anyone asks you never saw me.

4 minutes ago, AceTakerV8 said:

Or atleast within 5 frames.

I had a 5960x but I couldn't keep it cool enough at a decent speed so I decided to sell that and I am looking to replace it with something that stays a bit cooler whilst still being able to hit 4ghz so as long as it performs a little better or at least the same as a 5960x at 4ghz in gaming then all is good I heard broadwell-e run a bit cooler than haswell-e which is why I was considering broadwell-e chips I use a 280mm AIO Kraken X62 

I would get a 1800x as at higher resolutions it won't really matter and is shown to be great for streaming, don't expect full speed on the ram though

Just now, Joshua Norris said:

I would get a 1800x as at higher resolutions it won't really matter and is shown to be great for streaming, don't expect full speed on the ram though

Why do higher resolutions matter? You don't upgrade your graphics card more frequently than your CPU? 

Has intel lowered prices yet, cause it doesn't look like they have to me at full price the 6900k is still £1000 which is what it was before ryzen came out 

1 minute ago, App4that said:

Why do higher resolutions matter? You don't upgrade your graphics card more frequently than your CPU? 

To me it doesn't make sense why the ryzen cpu's performs worse than the 6900k at gaming cause everything else it beats it in so it's got to be an optimization thing for it to make such a difference it's 32% behind in some cases 

5 minutes ago, App4that said:

He said he games at 1440p, where different cpu's perform similarly, even when they are more varied at lower resolutions like 1080p, also, if the gpu is powerful enough, the choice of cpu really depends on the best amount cores while at least having the single threaded performance of an i5, which the 1800x has at significantly lower prices than Broadwell-e

Just now, MekaStrix said:

To me it doesn't make sense why the ryzen cpu's performs worse than the 6900k at gaming cause everything else it beats it in so it's got to be an optimization thing for it to make such a difference it's 32% behind in some cases 

Ryzen is a workstation CPU, pure and simple. AMD marketed it as more, because why not? AMD fans will buy it, and make excusses for AMD when it doesn't deliver. No different than Intel fans did for Kabylake. 

We could see improvements in optimization in games when looking at Ryzen, but this goes back to the AMD wait. Wait for the next API, wait for optimization, wait for developer support, wait for that next thing from AMD that will fix everything. 

Not hating on AMD, I'm hating on AMD's marketing. 

3 minutes ago, Joshua Norris said:

He said he games at 1440p, where different cpu's perform similarly, even when they are more varied at lower resolutions like 1080p, also, if the gpu is powerful enough, the choice of cpu really depends on the best amount cores while at least having the single threaded performance of an i5, which the 1800x has at significantly lower prices than Broadwell-e

So when Volta arives and pushes the fps at 1440 further, to current 1080p levels the disparity will again be there. It's not the resolution, it's the fps. 

1 minute ago, App4that said:

So when Volta arives and pushes the fps at 1440 further, to current 1080p levels the disparity will again be there. It's not the resolution, it's the fps. 

I can see what you're saying here eventually 1440p will be the new 1080p and CPU will matter and 4k will be the new 1440p where cpu isn't so important once we can push frame rates to high enough levels 

27 minutes ago, App4that said:

True, but this isn't volta?

2 minutes ago, AceTakerV8 said:

Typically, at cpus like a 6900k, or 1800X, they often have even worse gaming performance then say a 7700k. So it's your choice.

my thinking is that a 7700k is capable at casual streaming isn't it? and by the time we actually need 8 cores for gaming surely you'll be able to pick up a intel 8 core for what you can a 4 core what we need to remember is that when intel released the first 4 core I think it was one of the core 2 quads can't remember exactly i'm pretty sure they were £800 when they first released so pricing for 8 core cpu's on the intel side will come down it just a matter of time I don't think ryzen is disruptive enough for intels greedy pockets though so I don't think we will see massive drops until intel release Skylake X 

5 minutes ago, AceTakerV8 said:

Typically, at cpus like a 6900k, or 1800X, they often have even worse gaming performance then say a 7700k. So it's your choice.

I don't think I will get any less fps in games with a 7700k than with a 6900k accept maybe in some that can use the extra threads but even then it'll only be 2-3 fps i've not seen any tests that show a 6900k 10 or more fps ahead of a 7700k

7 minutes ago, Joshua Norris said:

True, but this isn't volta?

So you plan on changing your CPU everytime a new graphics card comes out that raises the performance level? No. A CPU should last much longer than that.