Is Gsync worth it with only about £200 to spend

Dalynx

so as the title says i'm looking to upgrade my monitor from my old tv to something with and actual nice looking panel, but i've recently started to get on the gsync wagon, until i saw the price.

So i was wondering is it possible to get one for 200-250 that's not utter trash, and if not what's the next best 144hz one as if not g sync it's gotta be nice still haha,thanks for any help

I can't give you a recommendation for a 144Hz panel, but I think G-Sync monitors in the 200-250 range don't even exist, if you don't want to buy used.

i5 6500 @3.2Ghz, Zotac GTX 1080 Ti Mini, 16GB DDR4 @2400Mhz, 240GB SSD, 1TB HDD, Corsair Vengance 650W, Asus Z170 Pro Gaming, Thermaltake Versa U21, Hyper 103

AOC Agon AG271UG 27" 4k G-Sync, G933, G502, G801

Depends what models you compare, what games you play, and at what fps your games will be at your desired settings.

And of course, how allergic YOU specificly are to Tearing and/or stuttering. ^^

I've seen people, who tried G-Sync, and don't need it, since 144 Hz alone reduces Tearing already very much.

i've seen other people, who love G-Sync, and don't want t play without anymore.

i.... hate Tearing. I think, 144 Hz or 165 Hz are almost enough for Tearing to be reduced so much, it doesn't bother me.

Rise of the Tomb Raider on my 165 Hz screen when running 60 fps~, i do not see Tearing at all (G-Sync off, V-Sync off). But it stutters a slight bit. Motions or camera changes are not perfectly smooth. Can't explain it.

Turning G-Sync on, and it's butterly smooth.

Try it out for yourself. You NEED to see it for yourself, to decide if you need/want it, or not.

Keep in Mind: If you do go for G-Sync....

Dell S2417dg. The Price is at worst just 50€ more, than the cheapest G-Sync monitor on teh Market. But it has 2560x1440 Resolution, instead the old boring Full HD.

Or the Acer Predator XB241YUbmiprz , which is fairly new, and might have Color banding a bit better under control.

If you go for G_Sync, go for 1440p. Do not bother with Full HD anymore.

Why spend 399 for Full HD, when you can have 1440p for 450-470 ;) Think about the future, the next 5-10 Years. Do NOT limit your Monitor choice just because of the maybe not High end GPU you use today.

Edit: The cheapest 144 Hz Monitors will be at 220-240€~

They will ALL only use a 6-bit TN Panel with Full HD only, and also will NOT feature G-Sync. Maybe Freesync (for AMD GPUs)

1 minute ago, Darkseth said:

Depends what models you compare, what games you play, and at what fps your games will be at your desired settings.

And of course, how allergic YOU specificly are to Tearing and/or stuttering. ^^

I've seen people, who tried G-Sync, and don't need it, since 144 Hz alone reduces Tearing already very much.

i've seen other people, who love G-Sync, and don't want t play without anymore.

i.... hate Tearing. I think, 144 Hz or 165 Hz are almost enough for Tearing to be reduced so much, it doesn't bother me.

Rise of the Tomb Raider on my 165 Hz screen when running 60 fps~, i do not see Tearing at all (G-Sync off, V-Sync off). But it stutters a slight bit. Motions or camera changes are not perfectly smooth. Can't explain it.

Turning G-Sync on, and it's butterly smooth.

Try it out for yourself. You NEED to see it for yourself, to decide if you need/want it, or not.

Keep in Mind: If you do go for G-Sync....

Dell S2417dg. The Price is at worst just 50€ more, than the cheapest G-Sync monitor on teh Market. But it has 2560x1440 Resolution, instead the old boring Full HD.

Or the Acer Predator XB241YUbmiprz , which is fairly new, and might have Color banding a bit better under control.

If you go for G_Sync, go for 1440p. Do not bother with Full HD anymore.

Why spend 399 for Full HD, when you can have 1440p for 450-470 ;) Think about the future, the next 5-10 Years. Do NOT limit your Monitor choice just because of the maybe not High end GPU you use today.

I have a gtx 1080 haha, and i just dunno what to choose it's really stupid how expensive they are

Yea... then the 2 Monitors i mentioned with 1440p are the Minimum you should buy.

Don't waste any Money for those cheap 1080p 144 Hz monitors for 200-250 bucks.

If you stick to Full HD, there was no point in buying a GTX 1080 in first place ;)

2 minutes ago, Darkseth said:

Yea... then the 2 Monitors i mentioned with 1440p are the Minimum you should buy.

If you stick to Full HD, there was no point in buying a GTX 1080 in first place ;)

i brought it to future proof even for 1080p haha, and thanks i'll look those up now

6 minutes ago, Darkseth said:

there was someone selling a second hand 144hz monitor for £100 (just a normal one, of course it got brought before i could get there) would just 1080p 144 be worth it second hand or cheap??

15 minutes ago, Darkseth said:

there was someone selling a second hand 144hz monitor for £100 (just a normal one, of course it got brought before i could get there) would just 1080p 144 be worth it second hand or cheap??

100 bucks for a 2nd hand 144 Hz 1080p screen? That's pretty nice tbh^^

Even tho i would prefer 1440p, but for that price, it's worth to think about it. ^^"

For me personally I never really cared much about G-Sync or Freesync. I always considered it as an 'extra feature' that I might or might not need because from what I understand, it's only useful when your framerate is significantly lower than your monitor refresh rate, for example you have a 144Hz monitor and your framerate drops to like 40-50 fps then G-Sync or Freesync can minimalize the 'stuttering effect' because the monitor then can adjust the refresh rate to match the framerate.

I'm speaking based on my personal experience. I used to have a 60Hz IPS monitor, and whenever I play CS:GO I always experience screen tearing because I get like 140-160 fps all the time but my monitor can only handle like 60 fps max. Now I have the BenQ XL2411Z, which is a 144Hz TN monitor and whenever I play a stressful game such as the Witcher 3 and the framerate drops to like 40-45 fps, I can notice a little bit of stuttering on my monitor. However if I lower the settings a little bit so that the fps can go up to like around 60-70 fps, I can barely notice it. If I can lower the settings even more in order to get more fps, like around 85 fps, I can't notice the stuttering anymore. Another way to avoid this stuttering is to lower the refresh rate of my monitor. My monitor allows me to choose from 60Hz, 100Hz, 120Hz, or 144Hz. Other monitors might have different options.

As you can see, it can be a little bit of a hassle, and G-Sync or Freesync is supposed to avoid all that. So if you don't mind doing all that, a regular 144Hz monitor might be a better option especially when you have a fairly limited budget because regular 144Hz monitors are most likely to be cheaper. Otherwise, feel free to choose between G-sync (for Nvidia) or Freesync (for AMD), although I highly doubt you can find a brand new G-sync 144Hz monitor for that price range.

Another thing to consider is the panel type. Basically with TN panels, colors tend to be a bit washed out, but you can get that 'true' black because it tends to have higher contrast ratio than IPS. With IPS panels, colors are a lot more vibrant and crisp, but the blacks are a not as dark as with TN panels. If you want something in the middle, probably look for VA panels although I haven't found any 144Hz VA monitor yet. I've read somewhere that Samsung might make one, or they might have made it, I'm not so sure. 144Hz IPS monitors will be more expensive than it's TN equivalent, but if you can find a good deal, I think it's worth it.

"Yippie-ki-yay motherf**ker!"  ~John McClane

5 hours ago, dre92 said:

For me personally I never really cared much about G-Sync or Freesync. I always considered it as an 'extra feature' that I might or might not need because from what I understand, it's only useful when your framerate is significantly lower than your monitor refresh rate, for example you have a 144Hz monitor and your framerate drops to like 40-50 fps then G-Sync or Freesync can minimalize the 'stuttering effect' because the monitor then can adjust the refresh rate to match the framerate.

I'm speaking based on my personal experience. I used to have a 60Hz IPS monitor, and whenever I play CS:GO I always experience screen tearing because I get like 140-160 fps all the time but my monitor can only handle like 60 fps max. Now I have the BenQ XL2411Z, which is a 144Hz TN monitor and whenever I play a stressful game such as the Witcher 3 and the framerate drops to like 40-45 fps, I can notice a little bit of stuttering on my monitor. However if I lower the settings a little bit so that the fps can go up to like around 60-70 fps, I can barely notice it. If I can lower the settings even more in order to get more fps, like around 85 fps, I can't notice the stuttering anymore. Another way to avoid this stuttering is to lower the refresh rate of my monitor. My monitor allows me to choose from 60Hz, 100Hz, 120Hz, or 144Hz. Other monitors might have different options.

As you can see, it can be a little bit of a hassle, and G-Sync or Freesync is supposed to avoid all that. So if you don't mind doing all that, a regular 144Hz monitor might be a better option especially when you have a fairly limited budget because regular 144Hz monitors are most likely to be cheaper. Otherwise, feel free to choose between G-sync (for Nvidia) or Freesync (for AMD), although I highly doubt you can find a brand new G-sync 144Hz monitor for that price range.

Another thing to consider is the panel type. Basically with TN panels, colors tend to be a bit washed out, but you can get that 'true' black because it tends to have higher contrast ratio than IPS. With IPS panels, colors are a lot more vibrant and crisp, but the blacks are a not as dark as with TN panels. If you want something in the middle, probably look for VA panels although I haven't found any 144Hz VA monitor yet. I've read somewhere that Samsung might make one, or they might have made it, I'm not so sure. 144Hz IPS monitors will be more expensive than it's TN equivalent, but if you can find a good deal, I think it's worth it.

i was literally looking at getting that monitor as ive said fuck gsync i'm a human, not a human atm, also is it a good monitor haha

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BenQ-XL2411-e-Sports-eQualiser-Adjustable/dp/B01H5KKQTM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1488712886&sr=8-1&keywords=benq+144hz+monitor

On 3/5/2017 at 6:47 PM, Dalynx said:

i was literally looking at getting that monitor as ive said fuck gsync i'm a human, not a human atm, also is it a good monitor haha

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BenQ-XL2411-e-Sports-eQualiser-Adjustable/dp/B01H5KKQTM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1488712886&sr=8-1&keywords=benq+144hz+monitor

Well, it's a good gaming monitor, but bad for tasks that require color accuracy such as image editing. Games feel significantly smoother because of that 144Hz and 1ms response time. Unfortunately out of the box, colors are very dull compared to my Asus IPS monitor, I mean I know it's gonna be worse because it's only TN panel, but I never expected it to be that bad. I had to download several external icc profiles from TFTCentral (I ended up using the BenQ XL2720Z icc profile) and then tinker with the gamma, RGB, and all that stuff in the OSD settings. However yours might be different than mine.

Other 'budget' 144Hz gaming monitors that might worth considering:

- Asus VG248QE (not really sure why you should choose this over the BenQ XL2411, but a lot of people seem to be recommending it)

- AOC G2460PF (Freesync ready)

- LG 24GM77-B (better image quality despite having TN panels as well, but I'm not sure if they still make it)

"Yippie-ki-yay motherf**ker!"  ~John McClane