Central DC & AD

beanhubbleday

Hi all,

I'm trying to implement a system for my Mum's work.

I'm thinking the main office will have a server there that will server files and AD to around 4-6 external sites. 

I want the users to log onto a domain account from the external sites.

Can this be done, yes or no?

Thanks 

P.S. If so, how ? :)

Don't forget to @me / quote me for a reply =]

You would need a vpn for all the clients or you can have a server at each location and have a site to site network that all the servers are on.

Essentially they all need to be on the same network

Just now, crashahotrod said:

You would need a vpn for all the clients or you can have a server at each location and have a site to site network that all the servers are on.

Essentially they all need to be on the same network

Yeah, so I was wondering: is there a way to amke a DC at site 1 talk to the dc at site 2 and have an AD on each site's DC that is collective tothe central site's DC

Yes you need a vpn back to the main dc that is very reliable I would find a hardware solution. Typically this feature is found in enterprise gateways and firewalls

Yes you need a vpn back to the main dc that is very reliable I would find a hardware solution. Typically this feature is found in enterprise gateways and firewalls

Okay so a DC at each site would need a VPN to the main central DC and I would be able to connect machines to the AD from the main DC.

6 minutes ago, JackHubbleday said:

Yeah, so I was wondering: is there a way to amke a DC at site 1 talk to the dc at site 2 and have an AD on each site's DC that is collective tothe central site's DC

yes, but if your asking this question, you should be setting this up. This is very basic stuff, and if you don't know this, you should just hire a professional.

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

yes, but if your asking this question, you should be setting this up. This is very basic stuff, and if you don't know this, you should just hire a professional.

Technically, I am :/ I have some MS qualifications but we didn't learn this stuff so I thought I'd ask here 

I was thinking of having RODC's at each site and one main one at the central site. Would this be the easiest way? My question was, is this the best, cheapest and most efficient way???

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

I agree you are getting yourself into mission critical systems that need 99.9% uptime.

2 minutes ago, JackHubbleday said:

Okay so a DC at each site would need a VPN to the main central DC and I would be able to connect machines to the AD from the main DC.

Just a run of the mill VPN will not work if it goes down for any reason your clients will not be able to authenticate

I agree you are getting yourself into mission critical systems that need 99.9% uptime.

Just a run of the mill VPN will not work if it goes down for any reason your clients will not be able to authenticate

Uptime is no issue. We're talking like 10-15 users who work 8-6 at the most and will only access files every so often.

1 minute ago, JackHubbleday said:

I was thinking of having RODC's at each site and one main one at the central site. Would this be the easiest way? My question was, is this the best, cheapest and most efficient way???

=^^^???