Looking for the best 2k-4k gaming IPS monitor (Freesync)

shukero

Hey everyone,

I have finally saved up about $1k to spending on a nice IPS 2-4k gaming (Freesync) monitor (100-144hz) however, I don't know which one to buy. I've seen a couple of ultra wides, but they look super expensive and I've also seen a couple "normal" wide screens, but I'm un-sure as to what I should buy. I mainly use my PC for gaming on FPS games like overwatch BF1 and other things like movies. I'm basically trying to upgrade from my 19" 1080p viewsonic LED screen that I've been using for the past 5 years for gaming. Does anyone have any suggestions? Or does anyone know of any coming out soon that I should wait for?

Thanks,

~Mike

Do you have a PC to push that many pixels at such a high refresh rate?

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

3 minutes ago, shukero said:

Hey everyone,

I have finally saved up about $1k to spending on a nice IPS 2-4k gaming (Freesync) monitor (100-144hz) however, I don't know which one to buy. I've seen a couple of ultra wides, but they look super expensive and I've also seen a couple "normal" wide screens, but I'm un-sure as to what I should buy. I mainly use my PC for gaming on FPS games like overwatch BF1 and other things like movies. I'm basically trying to upgrade from my 19" 1080p viewsonic LED screen that I've been using for the past 5 years for gaming. Does anyone have any suggestions? Or does anyone know of any coming out soon that I should wait for?

Thanks,

~Mike

What GPU are you using now? You are looking for Freesync monitor so I'm assuming RX 480?

Spoiler

[CPU] i5-4690K @ 4.5GHz with NZXT Kraken X61 [MOBO] Asus Z97-AR [Memory] HyperX Fury 32GB DDR3-1600 [Storage] Samsung 840 EVO 500GB & WD 1TB Black & Hitachi 1TB [GPU] Gigabyte GTX 1080 8GB Xtreme Gaming [Case] Corsair Air 540 [PSU] Cooler Master V1000 [Case Fan] Corsair SP140 LED Fan x 3 & SP120 LED Fan x 3 [Display] Main: Philips 31.5" FULL HD IPS | Side: Philips 28" 4K UHD [Keyboard] Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth Edition [Mouse] Razer Ouroboros [Mouse Pad] Razer Firefly [Sound] BOSE Companion 5 Multimedia Speaker System

25 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

100 dollars over budget but is totally worth it imo

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016GNX4SE

The Freesync version is much cheaper...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0111MRT90/ref=psdc_1292115011_t3_B016GNX4SE

CPU Intel Core i7-5930K @ 3.5 GHz Motherboard Asus X99 Deluxe RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB @ 2800MHz GPU 2 x Gigabyte GTX 980 G1 Gaming (SLI)

Case Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 (Gray) Storage 2 x 1TB 850 Pro, 2 x 4TB WD Black PSU Corsair AX1500i (1500W) Display Asus PG348Q Ultrawide - G-Sync

Cooling Corsair Hydro Series H100i Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Chroma Mouse Razer Mamba Sound Logitech G633 Operating System Windows 10

15 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Ah did not know. ty. is it 100hz? 

It's 75hz.... But if you have an AMD Card then the G-Sync Monitor will not run at 100hz... you will be stuck to 60hz... check out this list of Freesync monitors...

http://www.144hzmonitors.com/list-of-freesync-monitors/

2K Monitors with with 100hz+ only on 16:9 so far...

CPU Intel Core i7-5930K @ 3.5 GHz Motherboard Asus X99 Deluxe RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB @ 2800MHz GPU 2 x Gigabyte GTX 980 G1 Gaming (SLI)

Case Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 (Gray) Storage 2 x 1TB 850 Pro, 2 x 4TB WD Black PSU Corsair AX1500i (1500W) Display Asus PG348Q Ultrawide - G-Sync

Cooling Corsair Hydro Series H100i Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Chroma Mouse Razer Mamba Sound Logitech G633 Operating System Windows 10

25 minutes ago, Xsinar said:

It's 75hz.... But if you have an AMD Card then the G-Sync Monitor will not run at 100hz... you will be stuck to 60hz... check out this list of Freesync monitors...

http://www.144hzmonitors.com/list-of-freesync-monitors/

2K Monitors with with 100hz+ only on 16:9 so far...

32 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Ah did not know. ty. is it 100hz? 

Its 100hz all the time, with an Nvidia GPU there will be no variable refresh, which is the whole point

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

1 hour ago, stealth80 said:

Its 100hz all the time, with an Nvidia GPU there will be no variable refresh, which is the whole point

It's 2 different models the G-Sync version is 100hz with Nvidia GPU and 60hz with AMD. The Freesync version is 75hz with AMD GPU and 75hz with Nvidia GPU.

This is because the X34 display is native 60hz that is being overclocked using G-Sync / Freesync technology. Since the G-Sync requires a module in the monitor itself it is able to achieve higher refresh rates than Freesync, but the module is designed by NVIDIA and they don't support AMD GPUs and therefore run at the default 60hz.

49 minutes ago, Xsinar said:

It's 2 different models the G-Sync version is 100hz with Nvidia GPU and 60hz with AMD. The Freesync version is 75hz with AMD GPU and 75hz with Nvidia GPU.

This is because the X34 display is native 60hz that is being overclocked using G-Sync / Freesync technology. Since the G-Sync requires a module in the monitor itself it is able to achieve higher refresh rates than Freesync, but the module is designed by NVIDIA and they don't support AMD GPUs and therefore run at the default 60hz.

meant to say "without a Nvidia GPU there is no point" I was relating to the variable refresh not o/c etc

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

8 hours ago, Orangeator said:

Do you have a PC to push that many pixels at such a high refresh rate?

I have a GTX 980, so yes I do; but I also know it won't push out that many pixels that well. That's why I'm going to get an AMD vega card when it comes out and hence the reason why I want to get a freesync monitor.

8 hours ago, VolkA said:

What GPU are you using now? You are looking for Freesync monitor so I'm assuming RX 480?

I'm using an Nvidia GTX 980 at the moment, but I'm going to get an AMD vega card when they come out later this year. [Let me know if you think I should get an RX 480 now and a Vega later] Hence the freesync monitor - I'm soooo over Nvidia. I know I won't be able to get the "Adaptive Hz rate" setting with my Nvidia card but I thought that you can set the Hz rate on most of these monitors so I was thinking about setting it at 100hz and scaling down my gaming settings accordingly so that I can hit the needed 100fps. (Although most games I play right now, I get 100fps as is anyway)

Thanks for the links everyone, however I'm shying away from the Acer monitors because all I've heard from friends that bought those monitors are a lot of horror stories about their build quality / failure as well as backlight bleed. Something tells me Acer hand picks their review monitors :(

What I'm mainly looking for is a more "crisp" and "detailed" image. I have an old 1080p 19" viewsonic monitor (3ms) that I've been using for the past 5 years. I've heard that IPS makes everything a lot more detailed; (although I'm taking that with a grain of salt) so if I can stay on 1080p and get much better detail / crispness in the images on my screen, I'd be glad to do that. Can someone let me know between staying at 1080p (which I'd be gaming at anyway) or going to 2 / 4k which would be a better bet? Also does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks,

~Mike

Spoiler

I don't really have nor used GTX 980 before so I can't really commend on it. I'm not sure if you will be able to enjoy the full 2K / 4K experience running on it. With regards to vega, I didn't read much about it plus there isn't a lot of details out at the moment, so I can't commend on it either. :(

I'm running a 1080p and 4K monitor now. To be frank, the 4K is a lot more "crisp" but 1080p isn't that bad either. Since you mentioned most of the game you played are fps games, so I'm guessing going to those higher refresh rate monitor would be your best bet.

Spoiler

[CPU] i5-4690K @ 4.5GHz with NZXT Kraken X61 [MOBO] Asus Z97-AR [Memory] HyperX Fury 32GB DDR3-1600 [Storage] Samsung 840 EVO 500GB & WD 1TB Black & Hitachi 1TB [GPU] Gigabyte GTX 1080 8GB Xtreme Gaming [Case] Corsair Air 540 [PSU] Cooler Master V1000 [Case Fan] Corsair SP140 LED Fan x 3 & SP120 LED Fan x 3 [Display] Main: Philips 31.5" FULL HD IPS | Side: Philips 28" 4K UHD [Keyboard] Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth Edition [Mouse] Razer Ouroboros [Mouse Pad] Razer Firefly [Sound] BOSE Companion 5 Multimedia Speaker System

11 hours ago, VolkA said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I don't really have nor used GTX 980 before so I can't really commend on it. I'm not sure if you will be able to enjoy the full 2K / 4K experience running on it. With regards to vega, I didn't read much about it plus there isn't a lot of details out at the moment, so I can't commend on it either. :(

I'm running a 1080p and 4K monitor now. To be frank, the 4K is a lot more "crisp" but 1080p isn't that bad either. Since you mentioned most of the game you played are fps games, so I'm guessing going to those higher refresh rate monitor would be your best bet.

Hmmm so it sounds like I need to get at least a 2k Monitor with a higher refresh rate to get that "Crisper" image I'm looking for. Does anyone else have any other recommendations? I've heard that even 100hz refresh rate is much better than 60hz. So anything between 100 and 144hz would be great. I'd still want a freesync monitor because they are both less expensive and I'm definitely changing to an AMD card soon :)

Thanks everyone,

~Mike