NAS drive as PC drive

I'm planing to build a NAS at my home because I have a TONS of movies, series and information and I would like to share it with other computers and smart TV. Right now i running low in space in my PC  so I want to buy a new drive and I would like to use it at the NAS in the future. So there would be any problem if I use a 4TB WB RED in my PC?

As long as you have enough SATA ports and cables then I don't think there will be any problems.

No but it will be a bit slow due the RPM of the drive. Slow load and save times.

Just now, harrybamber8 said:

No but it will be a bit slow.

for movie storage, unless he storeing 4k it wont be a problem 

if its just one drive you wont need a nas drive

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

3 minutes ago, 8-Bit Ninja said:

I know but he want to use it as his standalone drive, thats what im getting from the OP

2 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

if its just one drive you wont need a nas drive

I want want 6 drives in RAID 5 for the NAS. For the moment i'll buy just one.

22 minutes ago, CocoJTR93 said:

I'm planing to build a NAS at my home because I have a TONS of movies, series and information and I would like to share it with other computers and smart TV. Right now i running low in space in my PC  so I want to buy a new drive and I would like to use it at the NAS in the future. So there would be any problem if I use a 4TB WB RED in my PC?

You can use any drive you want.

18 minutes ago, harrybamber8 said:

No but it will be a bit slow due the RPM of the drive. Slow load and save times.

Modern, high capacity hard drives are capable of anywhere between 150MB/s to 200MB/s in real-world conditions, though under ideal file transfer situations (i.e., huge files, not a ton of smaller ones).

19 minutes ago, harrybamber8 said:

18 minutes ago, 8-Bit Ninja said:

For the most part, RPM doesn't really affect the transfer speed of the drive, just the access times. A WD Red is more than adequate for even 4K video streaming. The issue would come when installing an OS or programs on the drive as they typically rely on access times more than general storage. 

@CocoJTR93 You'll be fine using it for storage. The main differences between NAS and desktop drives is the vibration sensor and countermeasures, being designed to run 24/7 rather than stopped and started and some additional features like TLER (which is kind of useless for most applications these days, as most NAS OSes use some form of software RAID).